Big Bang or Intelligent Design?

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: Big Bang or Intelligent Design?

Post by sanddbox on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:43 pm
([msg=32260]see Re: Big Bang or Intelligent Design?[/msg])

faazshift wrote:
sanddbox wrote:We don't know how it started. That's the point.

We tell the truth: We don't know. That makes a hell of a lot more sense than god does.

Really? You try taking some rocks and making a living being out of them. I find it much easier to believe that a more knowledgeable being than ourselves created us than that some magical stuff happened and suddenly life.

We didn't evolve from rocks. We evolved from single cells.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by faazshift on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:49 pm
([msg=32261]see Re: Big Bang or Intelligent Design?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:We didn't evolve from rocks. We evolved from single cells.

Yeah, but where did they come from? How were they created in the first place?
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dredric1 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:55 pm
([msg=32262]see Re: Big Bang or Intelligent Design?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:
faazshift wrote:One problem, where did the DNA/cells/living-matter start. It obviously didn't just create itself. Where did it come from? Did rocks hit together in just the right way? Did water splash on sand just perfectly? I don't see how living tissue is just made from mere molecules without some sort of divine intervention.

We don't know how it started. That's the point.

We tell the truth: We don't know. That makes a hell of a lot more sense than god does.

so lets say i handed you a box and it wasn't labeled and it had something in it.
and what it had in it was all the answers to the world and how it came to be.

what you would do is.

first you would find a nice place for it. like in a glass case. cause its important
then i would tell you to open it
but you wouldn't
you would say "its just going to tell me what i already know-evolution"
i would tell you "i packaged that, i know that it is not what you think"
and you would say "then tell me"
and i would reply "i have by giving you that box, but you have to choose and open it. i cant just tell you or you would not have
made the choose and then you would be angry and say that you didn't want to know"

and whenever someone visited you
they would ask you if you knew what was in that box.

and you would reply "yes i do its evolution"
and you would explain evolution to them
and they would say "amazing but how did it start?"
and you would say "it says in the box."
and they would ask "the box is still sealed how do you know,can i open it can i understand too?"
and you would tell them "we don't know how it started but the box knows and that's all that matters"

you see GOD gives everyone a box to open but

"For many are called, but few are chosen." - Matthew 22:14
the code for the void exception between the ear brackets
Code: Select all
public static }void(exception x = new exception(null)){

ok my brackets dont realy look like ears.
if you didnt get that it means there is nothing(no brains) between your ears.
Dredric1
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:02 pm
([msg=32263]see Re: Big Bang or Intelligent Design?[/msg])

Dredric1 wrote:
sanddbox wrote:
faazshift wrote:One problem, where did the DNA/cells/living-matter start. It obviously didn't just create itself. Where did it come from? Did rocks hit together in just the right way? Did water splash on sand just perfectly? I don't see how living tissue is just made from mere molecules without some sort of divine intervention.

We don't know how it started. That's the point.

so lets say i handed you a box and it wasn't labeled and it had something in it.
and what it had in it was all the answers to the world and how it came to be.

what you would do is.

first you would find a nice place for it. like in a glass case. cause its important
then i would tell you to open it
but you wouldn't
you would say "its just going to tell me what i already know-evolution"
i would tell you "i packaged that, i know that it is not what you think"
and you would say "then tell me"
and i would reply "i have by giving you that box, but you have to choose and open it. i cant just tell you or you would not have
made the choose and then you would be angry and say that you didn't want to know"

and whenever someone visited you
they would ask you if you knew what was in that box.

and you would reply "yes i do its evolution"
and you would explain evolution to them
and they would say "amazing but how did it start?"
and you would say "it says in the box."
and they would ask "the box is still sealed how do you know,can i open it can i understand too?"
and you would tell them "we don't know how it started but the box knows and that's all that matters"

you see GOD gives everyone a box to open but

"For many are called, but few are chosen." - Matthew 22:14

That's funny, because it would work the exact opposite way.

We are curious how the world was REALLY created. If you handed us a box and told us it was full of answers, sure, we'd call bullshit on it, but we would still open the box.

If you opened the box and God wasn't in it you would reject it.

We don't know how the universe started (if it even did). We are still curious about how it happened.

You are content to swallow the first theory told to you.

Now, if YOU handed me that box, I would still open it but I would throw it in the garbage once I realized it was polluted with your bias.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by faazshift on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:19 pm
([msg=32264]see Re: Big Bang or Intelligent Design?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:You are content to swallow the first theory told to you.

Hehe... actually I have debated long and hard. I have come to see that intelligent design seems to make far more sense than evolution.

As much bias as evolution believers seem to think intelligent design believers have, evolution believers seem to have the same amount of bias and stubbornness.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dredric1 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:50 pm
([msg=32270]see Re: Big Bang or Intelligent Design?[/msg])

there is enough evidence for intelligent design as there is for evolution
so it really comes down to what side you want to take as far as evidence is concerned

but your life should really not be based on evidence
the code for the void exception between the ear brackets
Code: Select all
public static }void(exception x = new exception(null)){

ok my brackets dont realy look like ears.
if you didnt get that it means there is nothing(no brains) between your ears.
Dredric1
Poster
Poster

Post by faazshift on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:10 pm
([msg=32271]see Re: Big Bang or Intelligent Design?[/msg])

Im more than happy to read good, evidence filled text on evolution. All I have seen though are theories, half-thought ideas, and nonfactual or nonsensical guesses. I find it much more believable that we were designed, and not just randomly, magically evolved from rocks or something.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Spectre557 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:15 pm
([msg=32599]see Re: Big Bang or Intelligent Design?[/msg])

faazshift wrote:I find it much more believable that we were designed, and not just randomly, magically evolved from rocks or something.

Wow, you just explained in one shitstorm of ignorance exactly why so many people choose to believe in fairytales and stories. "Magically evolved from rocks or something" actually made me wonder to whether to laugh or cry that you really are that blind.

Of course you find it more believable that a magic man in the sky made everything... even when someone asks something difficult like "Why isn't the world perfect then?" you have all the answers. In Christianity's big book of ancient drivel you can always find some vague, nonsensical, but above all believable explanation.

Just because it suits you, because it's so much more convenient, or because it "makes sense" to you, doesn't mean you should blindly accept it against all evidence, and in the face of common sense or any kind of reasoning whatsoever stick by it. Anybody who's under the illusion of free thought but is religious is seriously deluded - it doesn't take a genius to apply a single basic concept: Consistency.

Take, for example, the way you consider new information when you collect it over the course of your life. If you're watching the news, and a report comes on detailing a murder, you are pretty likely to accept that as the truth, as most people do: You trust the source. You trust the source because they give some evidence with their claims; they interview experts, officials, and regular people who've witnessed things firsthand, for example. You can be confident that when they show a video of a burning building, you can go there the next day and see the damage.

Conversely, if a random person approached you on the street and claimed that he owned a talking dog, you'd naturally be a bit skeptical. This is obviously because you don't feel like you trust the source... It has never before been demonstrated to be honest or accurate in any way, and has no credibility. In fact, even if a reporter on the news made this claim, you'd still have doubts, and quite rightly; the claim is contradictory to everything you already know about how the world works (from observation and experimentation, of one kind or another). You'd demand to see and hear the dog yourself before accepting something so ridiculous, and even then you'd be careful that it's not some kind of trick.

My point is that people are blissfully unaware of the mammoth exceptions they're making for religion. If you consider yourself a reasonable and intelligent human being, with a fully functioning brain, then how could you possibly choose to accept such a whopping assertion about the universe? It directly violates everything you can prove or show evidence for, it comes from a source of seriously dubious integrity and reliability, and what's more is you simply don't have any reason to actually accept it as truth.

There can't be any exceptions, least of all for something as incredibly audacious and all-out ridiculous as the "answers" held in sacred writings. I'm not interested in debating whether or not the Bible contains truth or if there's a god or not, because that's unnecessary: Nothing you could ever claim about god or spirituality could be substantiated or backed up in any way by real evidence, and even if it could, then only the small part for which there was evidence would be proven, not the whole thing. To make myself absolutely clear... even if, for example, you could conclusively prove that there was indeed a man named Jesus who lived around 2000 years ago and could perform apparently magical feats, then what have you proven? Just that, and nothing else. It's at this point that most believers either completely fail to understand what I'm getting at, or they bring up "faith".

Arguing for faith is simply submitting to total ignorance - you surrender all rights to logic or reason, and actually choose to believe it against your better judgment: You may as well believe the man in the street... well after all, he's since then said that the dog's undetectable in any way, so why not accept it? It's not like you can disprove something like that.
Current obsession: Minecraft
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

Post by faazshift on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:33 pm
([msg=32601]see Re: Big Bang or Intelligent Design?[/msg])

Spectre557 wrote:Arguing for faith is simply submitting to total ignorance - you surrender all rights to logic or reason, and actually choose to believe it against your better judgment: You may as well believe the man in the street... well after all, he's since then said that the dog's undetectable in any way, so why not accept it? It's not like you can disprove something like that.

I beg to differ. First off, I have thoroughly thought out my personal religious beliefs and find it completely logical. Second, I have prayed long and hard and come to know for my self that there is truly a God and that my religious beliefs are correct. So I am not believing against my better judgment, but because of it. I cannot just give you my testimony, but I know for my self that my beliefs are true. You are entirely set against the idea of a more intelligent being than ourselves having created us, so you will probably never open your mind to the possibility. I am certain that we were created.
faazshift
Contributor
Contributor

Post by turbo420 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:40 pm
([msg=32603]see Re: Big Bang or Intelligent Design?[/msg])

It is not my place to force my beliefs on anyone else, but be a good scientist and explore all options before making a decision. I encourage you to research and decide for yourself. Here is an interesting topic: . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_code. As for me and my house, we will worship the Lord.

-- Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:41 pm --

Also, as a side note, men can not fly either...oh wait, guess men are not infallable.
turbo420
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Religion