Need the bible?

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: Need the bible?

Post by Possumdude0 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:57 pm
([msg=27157]see Re: Need the bible?[/msg])

I'd be interested in knowing what specific changes have been made.

If you believe Jesus Christ is your Savior, that he died for your sins on the cross, then I'd consider you a Christian. With Biblical passages in question I'm reluctant to point out what the Bible says beyond that point, but that's really the main point of it all.
Posts on the subjects of religion or morality are from a Christian's perspective

Posts on the subject of programming are from a coder's perspective

Posts on the subject of hacking are from a noob's perspective

Please phrase your responses accordingly
Possumdude0
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by ph1r3w4ll on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:11 pm
([msg=27163]see Re: Need the bible?[/msg])

Last edited by ph1r3w4ll on Mon May 26, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ph1r3w4ll
New User
New User

Post by Possumdude0 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:10 pm
([msg=27177]see Re: Need the bible?[/msg])

In response to ph1r3w4ll:

Wow, that's a lot of things I want to argue against. I'll only mention two, otherwise I'll be here all day.

First things first:

Use paragraphs. This is not poetry.

but if you believe that how good you are makes you a Christian
then you are more of a catholic than a Christian...

Catholics are Christian. I don't agree with everything they believe *cough* Papal infallibility *cough*, but they are Christian.

the Bible has not changed in the 4,000 or so years it has
been around

The claim was made that someone here has an old Bible that is different from the Bible we have today. If this is true then it should be obvious that a change has been made.
Posts on the subjects of religion or morality are from a Christian's perspective

Posts on the subject of programming are from a coder's perspective

Posts on the subject of hacking are from a noob's perspective

Please phrase your responses accordingly
Possumdude0
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Defience on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:41 pm
([msg=27188]see Re: Need the bible?[/msg])

ph1r3w4ll wrote:Hey I don't want to sound preachy right now...
I know I am seriously gonna get flamed for this but this is
what I believe there are so many good websites that you could
look at for this type of stuff... the Bible has no contradictions or
errors there are just people who make conclusions when they
misunderstand things... I'll ask around and find some common misconceptions
about stuff like that... the Bible has not changed in the 4,000 or so years it has
been around (yes, Job was written in 2,000 bc (yes, I call it bc none of that retarted bce crap) and the
last book, don't take my word for this one, I think was Revelation written by John in ~70 ad).
You are saved by grace not works... Jesus died for us and rose on the third day... If
you "confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord you will be saved"... there is no
saved by works just faith... how can we judge what is good and bad... the bible says
any sin will cause you to go to Hell unless you put your faith in Christ...
Also the Big Bang Theory is absolutely absurd... check out http://www.answersingenesis.org for more information...
science and christianity are not contradictory... EVOLUTION and christianity are contradictory...
Evolution is not science... I say it again EVOLUTION IS NOT SCIENCE!!!!!!!!
Evolution and creation are theories that can not be proven and thus both
require faith to believe in... evolution is religion!!!
This is what true Bible believing Christians believe...

AMEN! :D
Defience
Addict
Addict

Post by The7thGuest on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:24 am
([msg=27200]see Re: Need the bible?[/msg])

ph1r3w4ll wrote:Hey I don't want to sound preachy right now...
I know I am seriously gonna get flamed for this but this is
what I believe there are so many good websites that you could
look at for this type of stuff... the Bible has no contradictions or
errors there are just people who make conclusions when they
misunderstand things... I'll ask around and find some common misconceptions
about stuff like that... the Bible has not changed in the 4,000 or so years it has
been around (yes, Job was written in 2,000 bc (yes, I call it bc none of that retarted bce crap) and the
last book, don't take my word for this one, I think was Revelation written by John in ~70 ad).
You are saved by grace not works... Jesus died for us and rose on the third day... If
you "confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord you will be saved"... there is no
saved by works just faith... how can we judge what is good and bad... the bible says
any sin will cause you to go to Hell unless you put your faith in Christ...
Also the Big Bang Theory is absolutely absurd... check out http://www.answersingenesis.org for more information...
science and christianity are not contradictory... EVOLUTION and christianity are contradictory...
Evolution is not science... I say it again EVOLUTION IS NOT SCIENCE!!!!!!!!
Evolution and creation are theories that can not be proven and thus both
require faith to believe in... evolution is religion!!!
This is what true Bible believing Christians believe...

I think I need to point out a few things here... Firstly, the bible as we know it, was compiled AD, I agree that some of the original text (and by the way some of the original texts do exist) were written BC. The Old and New testament split this nicely.

There is no doubt in my mind that Christ was here, on earth and that the He died on the cross and went to hell, He had no need to do it, but it gave us a chance.

In my mind this belief makes me a Christian and I will once again repeat the argument but this time with a bit of clarrification :

"If I believe that Christ died on the cross so my sins can be forgiven I am a Christian, I do not need to read or quote the bible to be considered a Christian"

And I know this might upset some people, don't take me wrong, I do read the Bible, not as some obligation but because I do find it inspiring. I simply do not see the need for a bible to be a Christian?
The7thGuest
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by flava on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:54 pm
([msg=27494]see Re: Need the bible?[/msg])

I hate to revive an old thread like this, but the question 'What changes between the 1539 Bible and the present day bible did the7thguest uncover?' remains unanswered. So, assuming he is still around, I'd be interested in hearing this question answered.
Viking at heart.
flava
New User
New User

Post by The7thGuest on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:30 am
([msg=27519]see Re: Need the bible?[/msg])

Let me put it this way, they both tell the same story but the reasons, means and ends are let's say, a bit "different"

And strangely enough these differences mostly surround the human element to Christianity, like being gay, drinking, sex, drugs eating pork.

I could go on, but the actual impact on the differences between these two are not really a concern to me? The basic concept of both is precisely the same.
The7thGuest
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by flava on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:20 am
([msg=27575]see Re: Need the bible?[/msg])

I'm not trying to attack you, I'm genuinely interested interested in the differences between your 1539 Bible and my NASB. So when you say 'a bit different', how different is that? Anything you can think of off the top of your head?
Viking at heart.
flava
New User
New User

Post by The7thGuest on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:11 am
([msg=27618]see Re: Need the bible?[/msg])

From the top of my head, for one the old one bible specifically mentions that Christ went to Hell, yours doesn't.

But to quote from an answer I have found (not directly applicable though)

The quality of the translation and the number of the books.

The New Testament canon of the Catholic Bible and the Protestant Bible are the same with 27 Books.

The difference in the Old Testaments actually goes back to the time before and during Christ’s life. At this time, there was no official Jewish canon of scripture.

The Jews in Egypt translated their choices of the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek in the second century before Christ. This translation of 46 books, called the Septuagint, had wide use in the Roman world because most Jews lived far from Palestine in Greek cities. Many of these Jews spoke only Greek.

The early Christian Church was born into this world. The Church, with its bilingual Jews and more and more Greek-speaking Gentiles, used the books of the Septuagint as its Bible. Remember the early Christians were just writing the documents what would become the New Testament.

After the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem, with increasing persecution from the Romans and competition from the fledgling Christian Church, the Jewish leaders came together and declared its official canon of Scripture, eliminating seven books from the Septuagint.

The books removed were Tobit, Judith, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Wisdom (of Solomon), Sirach, and Baruch. Parts of existing books were also removed including Psalm 151 (from Psalms), parts of the Book of Esther, Susanna (from Daniel as chapter 13), and Bel and the Dragon (from Daniel as chapter 14).

The Christian Church did not follow suit but kept all the books in the Septuagint. 46 + 27 = 73 Books total.

1500 years later, Protestants decided to keep the Catholic New Testament but change its Old Testament from the Catholic canon to the Jewish canon.

The books that were removed supported such things as
+ Prayers for the dead (Tobit 12:12; 2 Maccabees 12:39-45)
+ Purgatory (Wisdom 3:1-7)
+ Intercession of saints in heaven (2 Maccabees 15:14)
+ Intercession of angels (Tobit 12:12-15)
The7thGuest
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Defience on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:38 am
([msg=27664]see Re: Need the bible?[/msg])

Also some interesting reading:
http://www.carm.org/christianity/bible/ ... en-altered

And about the book of Tobit (taken from wikipedia):
The book of Tobit is typically placed in the Vulgate among the historical books of the Old Testament, but most scholars regard it more as a religious novel with certain historical elements. Many of the historical details in the book contradict what is known about the history of the period from extra-Biblical sources but Catholic Bible scholars have provided a variety of ways for explaining these apparent discrepancies.
Defience
Addict
Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Religion