Do you guys/girls beleve in god?

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: Do you guys/girls beleve in god?

Post by c24lightning on Thu May 01, 2008 8:16 pm
([msg=1883]see Re: Do you guys/girls beleve in god?[/msg])

Nines9 wrote:
grot3sq wrote:Hmmm... I think it's totally logical that there *IS* god. I mean it's simple law of nature... There's always something bigger and stronger. Now, the "god" also can be a race of super-intelligent aliens that helped our civilization to rise to this level of evolution. But I believe there is something bigger than us. Even the Universe can be called "god"...

Truth. The idea of a "god" seems to be widely accepted as some guy with a beard doing miracles..... why?

It makes me laugh how quick people are to say that there's no higher being or that there definitely is. Nobody knows. The chances are that nobody is ever going to know. Anyone who sees "NO GOD" or "GOD" as anything more than a possibility or a belief is a fucking idiot.

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1002.htm#3

Take a good look at article 3, especially where it talks about the five arguments -- begins with "I answer that" in article 3.

Thomas Aquinas gives a valid argument for God not to exist, but then shows how it is incorrect. It lets you think about both sides.

And you guys ought to read everything on that page.. Good material right there.
Here's some sites you might be interested in:

Need a proxy? Here - user:pass combination is proxy:bypass
c24lightning
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by ELorenz on Fri May 02, 2008 1:53 am
([msg=1911]see Re: Do you guys/girls beleve in god?[/msg])

Arguing faith based questions is something of a futile exercise. The foundation of faith is believing in the unprovable. So there is no proof available for the existence of God. While some point to "miracles" of people living through unlivable events, or good things happening, The same God that made those miracles happened made men and women who abuse children, and murderers, and the atrocities throughout history. One could claim that these bad things are the result of free will, however, if one takes the view of nothing is out of Gods scope of knowledge or bounds, then God knew what these people would choose to do. If on the other hand one takes the view that God doesn't know what a person will choose, then God is not all knowledgeable anymore and likes to play games to see what will happen, I suppose the story of jobe could be evidence of this, so one has to ask I suppose in what all powerful beings grand design does murdering and raping children play? There are those that could put the bible up as proof of God, however the bible was written by people, and there are a number of contradictions. For example, the difference between angels and men fundamentally is that men have free will and angels don't. How then did a war start in heaven with an angel that went against God's will?

As i said previously, I am open to the existence of a God and simply think if one does exist the current religions have screwed it up for the last few centuries, These arguments are one's that I have debated myself for many years and have yet to find any answers for.
ELorenz
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by cthulhu666 on Thu May 08, 2008 5:28 pm
([msg=2133]see Re: Do you guys/girls beleve in god?[/msg])

For those of you who believe in something so absurd, I highly recommend the film "Zeitgeist". It explains the origins of Christianity and how it is plagiarized from various older religions that all revolve around the adoration of the sun. There is also a part about corruption in America that is super interesting.

The point I'm trying to make here is that organized religion, Christianity in particular, is an organization that only worries about forwarding their own agenda. They impose their beliefs on people, and anyone who disagrees is labeled 'blasphemous'. I'm not saying all Christians are assholes but I honestly believe that the world would be filled with many more intelligent people if religions like Christianity didn't distract people from the real world, with bogus stories like Noah's fucking arc.

P.S. :twisted: :twisted: GOD IS DEAD :twisted: :twisted:
cthulhu666
New User
New User

Post by WackyRacer on Sat May 10, 2008 3:53 pm
([msg=2209]see Re: Do you guys/girls beleve in god?[/msg])

I don't believe in a god as such but of course something created the universe. If "The big bang theory" is correct then what caused "The big bang"? these kinds of questions will never have an answer, and even if one day somebody said "I've found the answer, here's the proof." what then? Seeking the answer is fun but if we actually found it i think we would prefer to still be searching.
WackyRacer
New User
New User

Post by pack3t on Sat May 10, 2008 7:57 pm
([msg=2221]see Re: Do you guys/girls beleve in god?[/msg])

From what I've gathered, nine times out of ten it's impossible and futile to make an attempt at an intelligent conversation on religion when the people conversing don't share the same beliefs.

I'm Agnostic but was raised a Christian. My whole family is Christan. Up until about two years ago I went to church every Sunday and almost every Wednesday. Then I decided I didn't believe close to anything anyone in that church said, so I stopped going. Mind, I was 15 at the time and had to explain this to my parents. When the time came, our conversations on the matter simply went nowhere. They refused to hear anything I had to say and oftentimes just ignored me when I asked them to stop preaching their religion to me. Nowadays I go on Sundays out of respect for my mom, as I live in her house. She's got this bullshit rule that anyone who lives in her house has to go to church on Sundays. Completely bullshit, but that's life as a child (Yeah, I'm 17 but to my parents I rate the same as a 12 year old. Christians for ya.)

Now I'm all heated up and pissed off towards Christians just typing and remembering all this shit.

You see, these topics fail.
pack3t
New User
New User

Post by Death_Head on Sun May 11, 2008 1:08 am
([msg=2238]see Re: Do you guys/girls beleve in god?[/msg])

Look around people, you tell me that your house "evolved" or your PS2 "evolved", there has to be a God. we have a porpose on this planet and by denying the presence of God we are denying or porpose, and even worse, our very existance.

Ps. i am a Jew :-)
Death_Head
New User
New User

Post by Nines on Sun May 11, 2008 3:37 am
([msg=2243]see Re: Do you guys/girls beleve in god?[/msg])

ELorenz wrote:Arguing faith based questions is something of a futile exercise. The foundation of faith is believing in the unprovable...

cthulhu666 wrote:For those of you who believe in something so absurd...

Miracles, The Bible, Angels, Heaven... I think the conversation needs to be moved away from Christianity. The topic is called "Do you believe in god?" which suggests (to me at least) that you make your own assumptions on what "god" is.

Also on the subject of allowing "murders", "rapes", "child abuse", etc... These are all against OUR "code of ethics/morality" and even THAT is a rash generalisation. To expect another lifeform to accept values or have even a close resemblence to our way of life is a generalisation that doesn't stand up. We could be a freak accident in a test-tube along with many others. Chances are nobody will ever know. In the mean time enjoy your time here, I can't say I knew anything before being alive so I'm pretty sure there's no guarantees for afterwards. Enjoy what you have now.
Nines
Poster
Poster

Post by PC_MAGAS on Sun May 11, 2008 11:26 am
([msg=2251]see Re: Do you guys/girls beleve in god?[/msg])

c24lightning wrote:I believe in God.

bornagainst777 wrote:I don't believe in a god either. It's just something that's never made any sense to me.

That that make it false or wrong? Geometry has never made any sense to me, but that doesn't make it false or wrong.

No one understands God.

Edit: typo

I agree, although I like Geometry.
Also I'm greek orthodox and I believe in good
PC_MAGAS IS O VASILEUS OF COMPUTERS
BUT FOR WOMEN I'M THE FAIRYTALE'S PRINCE
PC_MAGAS
New User
New User

Post by PC_MAGAS on Sun May 11, 2008 11:31 am
([msg=2252]see Re: Do you guys/girls beleve in god?[/msg])

cthulhu666 wrote:For those of you who believe in something so absurd, I highly recommend the film "Zeitgeist". It explains the origins of Christianity and how it is plagiarized from various older religions that all revolve around the adoration of the sun. There is also a part about corruption in America that is super interesting.

The point I'm trying to make here is that organized religion, Christianity in particular, is an organization that only worries about forwarding their own agenda. They impose their beliefs on people, and anyone who disagrees is labeled 'blasphemous'. I'm not saying all Christians are assholes but I honestly believe that the world would be filled with many more intelligent people if religions like Christianity didn't distract people from the real world, with bogus stories like Noah's fucking arc.

P.S. :twisted: :twisted: GOD IS DEAD :twisted: :twisted:

I don't agree with your opinion because how bad can be a religion which promotes LOVE?
Also try to find the substance of Cristianism and don't pay attetion of all THESE bullshut
PC_MAGAS IS O VASILEUS OF COMPUTERS
BUT FOR WOMEN I'M THE FAIRYTALE'S PRINCE
PC_MAGAS
New User
New User

Post by hex_wannabe on Tue May 13, 2008 12:52 am
([msg=2336]see Re: Do you guys/girls beleve in god?[/msg])

This thread will never get anywhere, everyone has their own personal views.
At times I find myself hoping to god that something will go right (normally one of my Parkour techniques. Don't know what Parkour is? Shame on you :D ) and at other times I can't see how someone who supposedly loves everyone allows all the wars, famine and disease that plague the world to exist. Personally I don't think I believe in god, certainly there's something bigger and more powerful than us out there, but I don't believe in a single all-powerful entity. Perhaps there is a god or gods, perhaps not. Really it doesn't matter what others say, it's what you believe in that counts.
http://www.netninja.co.nz - My writing forum
hex_wannabe
Experienced User
Experienced User

PreviousNext

Return to Religion