Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.

Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.

Post by WeAreAllJustAblip on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:05 pm
([msg=95042]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Hello guys,

maybe you can help me. I cracked the password with John The Ripper and got a result. But somehow there are strange characters displayed in my password. Thats why I always got the message "Invalid Password" when I try to enter it. I dont know if I can attach a screenshot of it or if it would be against the rules?

greeze and remember,

we are all just a blip in the cosmic calendar
WeAreAllJustAblip
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by LokiHermes on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:30 am
([msg=95050]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

WeAreAllJustAblip wrote:I cracked the password with John The Ripper and got a result. But somehow there are strange characters displayed in my password. Thats why I always got the message "Invalid Password" when I try to enter it.

I cracked the hash with both john and hashcat, and I got the same correct result, without "strange characters".

I suggest you to check the correctness of the hash and of the launched command.
LokiHermes
New User
New User

Difficulty with Cracking

Post by dvinubius on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:03 am
([msg=95095]see Difficulty with Cracking[/msg])

dvinubius wrote:I've installed the latest mdCrack for Windows, let it run for about 10 minutes on the hash and then stopped. No result.
I've installed John The Ripper (https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper) and let it run for about 10 minutes, then aborted. No result

In both johnTheRipper and mdCrack I specified the algorithm, so that should have made the cracking a lot easier anyway...

My bad, sorry. Must've done something wrong the first times, probably when choosing the algorithm.
I've tried the JTR and mdCrack again and it worked. Took about a minute for each, but they finished successfully.
dvinubius
New User
New User

Post by smokeproject on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 am
([msg=95157]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Hi,

I found the hash quickly and didn't think I would have a problem cracking it as its something I have done before.

Cain and Abel no longer seems to exist, however hashcat and ophcrack come up with no results. In desperation I even tried some online MD4 crackers, but they all failed. I generated by own hashes and hashcat worked on them just fine..

The hash I have follows: e* m* h* xxx (hoping that gives nothing away)
smokeproject
New User
New User

Post by conscience on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 pm
([msg=95158]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

smokeproject wrote:Hi,

I found the hash quickly and didn't think I would have a problem cracking it as its something I have done before.

Cain and Abel no longer seems to exist, however hashcat and ophcrack come up with no results. In desperation I even tried some online MD4 crackers, but they all failed. I generated by own hashes and hashcat worked on them just fine..

I'd kindly suggest you read some earlier posts by fellow members as you appear to be using the wrong tool(s) for the job.
Let him who has understanding recount the number of the beast, for it is a human number: His number is 0x029A.
conscience
Poster
Poster

Post by smokeproject on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:08 pm
([msg=95159]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

conscience wrote:
smokeproject wrote:Hi,

I'd kindly suggest you read some earlier posts by fellow members as you appear to be using the wrong tool(s) for the job.

Thanks, I have now done this with JTR. I had a permissions issue before which prevented it working, and as Hashcat has been mentioned as a good alternative to Cain and Abel, I originally stuck with that.

I didn't realize they would all perform so differently - interesting!
smokeproject
New User
New User

Post by why tspace on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:08 am
([msg=95250]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

I seem to have arrived at an uncommon route to the answer.

EDIT: removed something spoilery.
I actually looked at all the html attributes for forms wherever I navigated. I noticed that a submit page looked interesting. So naturally, that means that a special path exists on the site. This almost immediately yields the hash.

The news was helpful. I actually planned to ask Google to do a site crawl on the site, and that's sort of how I stumbled on the robots already mentioned.

There was another directory I did not know about. Inside is actually a binary file. If you examine it, you'll see some text. If you do a lookup on that text, it will bring you to a certain rfc document. This document outlines the exact hashing algorithm.

The rest was up to lcrack via WestHFR's comment here https://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1730&start=10&sid=72a29db74132ce3f800062fba971456c. I stumbled on this last part because lcrack needs you to specify a username:<hash> pair (username can be anything, it doesn't matter).
Last edited by why tspace on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
why tspace
New User
New User

Previous

Return to (Real 5) Damn Telemarketers!