Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.

Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.

Post by Sawny1337 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:14 am
([msg=54971]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Cain did this for me :)

A tip:

Even if you test from letter 1 with abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789!@#$%^&*()-_+=~`[]{}|\:;"'<>,.?/ it just takes one minute if you have the correct hash type.
(i have a laptop!).
So test different hash types, if it doesn't find the answer in 5 minutes, test next hash type.
Sawny1337
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by super_nerd on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:59 am
([msg=55367]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Hi everyone :D.
I must be a complete idiot for having to resort to asking for help in the forums with this mission: :oops:
So I have the hash and the elf, that part was easy, but my difficulty lies in brute forcing the hash. I use linux most of the time (but despite this I am still a big noob at most things :,( ) and I am having trouble finding a tool to brute force a collision. I have tried using JTR but have been unsuccessful. Can JTR be used for this? I skimmed over like half of the previous posts and some say you can while others say no. I am unfamiliar with the program though so could someone please tell me if I am wasting my time trying learn to use John for this? If so are there any other tools that run on linux that are decent for this? Or should I just boot up Windows :( and use Cain and Able? Something feels entirely wrong about being able to do something of this nature in Windows better than in linux so this is a last resort for me. It wouldn't be so painful for just a one time use but if I want to crack hashes in the future I do not want to switch over to windows every time. I have even considered writing my own little c++ program forr this but something tells me that an efficient brute forcer uses more than just a for loop. So my program would probably suck. I have searched Google for a few days now and I am quite embarassed to state that I have been unsuccessful using google to find a a linux program for this. I fail at life I guess if I cannot find something with Google, seriously you can find everything with google what's wrong with me! Please forgive me for exposing your uber 1337ness to my uber n00bishness. Anyway I was not trying to write a book so sorry for the uneccessary length of my post as well. Also, since this is my first post I cannot shut up yet without saying that this website kicks ass. Seriously, 17 15 73h u83r r0xx0Rz! I really appreciate you people who put your time and talent into making this site where people like me can learn and want to say thanks a ton.

(Also a disclaimer for you non-linux people: Most linux users are not as incompetent as me. Quite the opposite! So please do not judge linux in a negative light due to me.)
super_nerd
New User
New User

Post by Phantom Wolf on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:29 pm
([msg=55372]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

super_nerd wrote:Can JTR be used for this? I skimmed over like half of the previous posts and some say you can while others say no. I am unfamiliar with the program though so could someone please tell me if I am wasting my time trying learn to use John for this?

It's been a long time since I did this mission, but I think that JTR doesn't correctly identify the hash. You need to explicitly tell it what kind of hash it is. I could be wrong, though, and if you can't get it to work, then just use Cain
super_nerd wrote:Something feels entirely wrong about being able to do something of this nature in Windows better than in linux

There's a lot of things that Windows does better than Linux, there's also a lot of things that Linux does better than Windows. Which one is better is purely opinion
super_nerd wrote:17 15 73h u83r r0xx0Rz!

I really hope you don't think that so-called 'leet speak' is either elite or cool.
super_nerd wrote:(Also a disclaimer for you non-linux people: Most linux users are not as incompetent as me. Quite the opposite! So please do not judge linux in a negative light due to me.)

There are lots of people using Linux now days that don't even know what bash is. I don't know if most Linux users today actually know anything about computers or not.

Oh, and a tip, your post was a little difficult to read, you should've split it up into multiple paragraphs. It wasn't too bad, though
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by super_nerd on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:55 pm
([msg=55374]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Thanks for the reply. :)

There's a lot of things that Windows does better than Linux, there's also a lot of things that Linux does better than Windows. Which one is better is purely opinion

I didn't mean to bash Windows or imply that it was inferior or anything either. You are right of course, Windows and Linux each have their own advantages. I will probably just use Cain for this mission but if anyone knows of another program for linux I would like to know about it. I prefer linux because I switched to it when I got into computers and so I am more used to it for technical stuff.

I really hope you don't think that so-called 'leet speak' is either elite or cool.

No I don't think "leetspeak" is elite or cool, I think it is silly and amusing. I should probably refrain from using it though, because its probably just annoying to most folks. So apologies for that bit of silliness.

Oh and thanks for the tip! I hope this one is more readable. I do not post on the Internet much so I did not even think of that.
super_nerd
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:19 pm
([msg=55410]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

That formatting is beautiful. If everyone who posted could use proper punctuation and attempt good spelling like that, I would be a much happier man.

That is all.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Phantom Wolf on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:28 pm
([msg=55414]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:That formatting is beautiful. If everyone who posted could use proper punctuation and attempt good spelling like that, I would be a much happier man.

That is all.

++
"Well it isn't my fault. I shouldn't have been allowed to do something to crash it." "No, you shouldn't have been allowed to buy a computer in the first place"
Phantom Wolf
Poster
Poster

Post by seraph7th on Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:45 pm
([msg=55580]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Damascus2k8 wrote: and obviously the right TYPE (*hint: it's NOT MD5!), think about it, on the site it says the method used is at least 10 years old!

This is all advice you would need.
Cheers
seraph7th
New User
New User

Post by OMGHackerssss on Tue May 10, 2011 11:54 am
([msg=57245]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Hi at all,
i didn't find any program for windows 7 for bruteforce the hash...anyone can suggest one?
OMGHackerssss
New User
New User

Post by VPR3 on Thu May 12, 2011 3:46 pm
([msg=57330]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Has anyone had any luck cracking the hash using some online hash cracker. I was looking at those before I download Cain&Able.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu May 12, 2011 10:39 pm
([msg=57341]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

OMGHackerssss wrote:Hi at all,
i didn't find any program for windows 7 for bruteforce the hash...anyone can suggest one?

Orelly? Because I keep seeing one posted all over that DOES work on 7.

VPR3 wrote:Has anyone had any luck cracking the hash using some online hash cracker. I was looking at those before I download Cain&Able.
Probably not considering a certain thing about the hash you must know before cracking it.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to (Real 5) Damn Telemarketers!