Realistic 3 - 'Peace Poetry' Guide

A little girl made a website to post poetry related to peace and understanding. American fascists have hacked this website replacing it with Hitler-esque propaganda. Can you repair the website?

Re: Realistic 3 - 'Peace Poetry' Guide

Post by w27138 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:35 am
([msg=71099]see Re: Realistic 3 - 'Peace Poetry' Guide[/msg])

I found this post extremely helpful and it finally "clicked" with me.
XORMeBaby wrote:No commands. Just PLACEMENT syntax. If you are in /yabba/dabba/ and want to "Submit a poem" to just /yabba/, what would you put in front of it? Think Basic 8 but with out any extra garbage.
w27138
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by ece7498 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:31 pm
([msg=74128]see Re: Realistic 3 - 'Peace Poetry' Guide[/msg])

I don't get one thing, if the file was going to get saved as "random.txt" or whatever like "random.random" , and we put for example "example.abc" , why the file isn't going to get written like "example.abc.random", it will add the automatic extension at the end, right?pm me if the post is spoiling or whatever

thanks
ece7498
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:52 pm
([msg=74153]see Re: Realistic 3 - 'Peace Poetry' Guide[/msg])

ece7498 wrote:I don't get one thing, if the file was going to get saved as "random.txt" or whatever like "random.random" , and we put for example "example.abc" , why the file isn't going to get written like "example.abc.random", it will add the automatic extension at the end, right?pm me if the post is spoiling or whatever

thanks

File extensions have nothing to do with this mission, I don't see your argument here?
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by f1r3fly_s3r3n1ty on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:52 pm
([msg=74451]see Re: Realistic 3 - 'Peace Poetry' Guide[/msg])

took me literally 45min to find the original page :evil: (there's some obvious hints on page 2 of this thread). After that I was able to restore it in about 2 mins with some guesswork lol...
f1r3fly_s3r3n1ty
New User
New User

Post by kxbcjmgzh on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:39 am
([msg=74581]see Re: Realistic 3 - 'Peace Poetry' Guide[/msg])

what bothered me about this mission was the fact that there was no real indication that certain files were in a directory separate to that which contains the other pages in this mission. Having a look through the original website, there was no reason for me to suspect that i would need to do the thing i did (in terms of directory traversal) to complete this mission.
kxbcjmgzh
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:12 am
([msg=74585]see Re: Realistic 3 - 'Peace Poetry' Guide[/msg])

kxbcjmgzh wrote:what bothered me about this mission was the fact that there was no real indication that certain files were in a directory separate to that which contains the other pages in this mission. Having a look through the original website, there was no reason for me to suspect that i would need to do the thing i did (in terms of directory traversal) to complete this mission.

Actually, if you think about it, there are clues.
You know the original site was over-written. If you actually found the original site, you see the way to interact with the server. Now, if you take a moment and ask yourself, how did the original page become overwritten, using the information here? The logical answer is that it had been done via directory traversal attack.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by Kurousagi on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:14 pm
([msg=74665]see Re: Realistic 3 - 'Peace Poetry' Guide[/msg])

I really need to stop over thinking these missions. This was so simple and yet it took me an hour to figure out because i over thought the solution :evil: . Mission was fun though, it really was more about logic then actual hacking
Kurousagi
New User
New User

Post by Ripper Metal on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:15 am
([msg=74742]see Re: Realistic 3 - 'Peace Poetry' Guide[/msg])

Question.... Why couldn't i preform a simple ssi command to command linux based commands? Is it because the server doesn't necessarily run on linux or what? I came with a similar approach as in the basic missions because I figured that I'd be able to command the server to preform what I was doing. Realistically I feel that if the person who created this site couldn't get their freakin site back in the first place they obviously aren't smart enough to cancel out those commands. Thus my approach was very similar to the basic mission command. Here's what I did: <!--#exec cmd="mv oldindex.html index.html"-->
Basically saying, I'm going to preform the command to move the file "oldindex.html" into "index.html" which should just overwrite the original index.html automatically and rename the old right? idk I'm a bit confused meh and If you could just go deeper into this topic and describe the logic, what's wrong with this, etc. Feel free to laugh I guess since this site says beware but like really, think I give a fuck? Nope... :)
Ripper Metal
New User
New User

Post by 3vilp4wn on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:18 am
([msg=74743]see Re: Realistic 3 - 'Peace Poetry' Guide[/msg])

In reality, that would probably work, but these are HTS missions, not reality!
Basically, HTS checks your submission against what it thinks should be the answer, and if it thinks you solution is correct, lets you pass. It never executes your code (for obvious reasons :D ).
Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation
Evil Ninja Hackers
???
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

1A4EAMboaXpgvUSmtRbVRqbfJrbyuGhyoo
3vilp4wn
Poster
Poster

Post by wizd00m on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:33 am
([msg=74803]see Re: Realistic 3 - 'Peace Poetry' Guide[/msg])

I definately think I have the correct command. I think i know how directory traversal attacks work and im pretty sure i understand how it is that the site works. Completed mission 8 and 9 in a breeze and i thought i would complete this one easily as well but im not sure why my command doesn't work, i am suspecting it's syntax or could be that i'm totally off.. Anyone open to PMs?
wizd00m
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to (Real 3) Peace Poetry: HACKED