What would you do?

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Re: What would you do?

Post by samethings on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:08 pm
([msg=67463]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

There was a lecturer with those examples about morality in one video of youtube if I remember right...

His last question was:

If in this case you were a doctor and you had 6 people needing 6 different organs transplants otherwise they would have died, and a healthy guy comes to the hospital for a check up and he is healthy and he has all 6 organs which were vital to him. Would you save the 6 over the 1?

Btw I dont remember it exactly but it was in similar lines.
samethings
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by edone automaton on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:31 pm
([msg=67465]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

samethings wrote:
If in this case you were a doctor and you had 6 people needing 6 different organs transplants otherwise they would have died, and a healthy guy comes to the hospital for a check up and he is healthy and he has all 6 organs which were vital to him. Would you save the 6 over the 1?

Primum non nocere....
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:03 pm
([msg=67469]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

brainiac3397 wrote:Let the 5 die...Death is quite unfortunate but you can't arrest it. Maybe even get injured and get some compensation(under the pretense of attempting a rescue)

*Goddamn. I assume that first page posts are recent and neglect to look at post dates*

Depends on the category. Some are more active then others.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Delaney12 on Sun May 18, 2014 4:43 pm
([msg=80815]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

I would not want anyone to die but I think that one death would be better than 5.
Delaney12
New User
New User

Post by Prince Rebelle on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:59 pm
([msg=81563]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

osamabinobama wrote:There is a runaway train headed for a junction. The default path of the train has five people on it and the alternative has one. You have the power to change the path of the train and kill one person instead of five. Will you?

Note: If so, you are considered responsible for the death, but if not, are you responsible for the death of the five people?

For the actual situation: I would change the course. I would consolidate myself for the killing of one with the saving of five.
For the question: Yes, you would still be responsible (in some way), as it was through your inaction that they died

Gatito wrote:@Goatboy : You murderer...

Here is another version:

A runway train is hurtling down a track towards five people. You are on a bridge under which it will pass, and you can stop it by dropping a heavy weight in front of it. As it happens, there is a very fat man next to you and your only way to stop the trolley is to push him over the bridge and onto the track, killing him to save five.

In this situation, I would not push the fat man over to save the five people. In the other situation, I had no direct contact with the person, which made it much more impersonal. However, I since I am in much more personal situation with the man, I do not believe I could go through the act of pushing him.

samethings wrote:There was a lecturer with those examples about morality in one video of youtube if I remember right...

His last question was:

Btw I dont remember it exactly but it was in similar lines.

For this one, only if the healthy man consented to giving his organs would I do it. Otherwise, I would not. As a Doctor, I would feel it would be against my moral code and oath to kill another man to save the lives of six others...especially if he was going in just for a check up.
Prince Rebelle
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:46 am
([msg=81592]see Re: What would you do?[/msg])

osamabinobama wrote:There is a runaway train headed for a junction. The default path of the train has five people on it and the alternative has one. You have the power to change the path of the train and kill one person instead of five. Will you?

Note: If so, you are considered responsible for the death, but if not, are you responsible for the death of the five people?

let the 5 people get run over by the train then shoot the other guy in the head.
This was originally a troll, but think about it... no witnesses :?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Ethics