Welchia Worm

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Re: Welchia Worm

Post by The7thGuest on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:48 am
([msg=26015]see Re: Welchia Worm[/msg])

They wouldn't give me one for certain conditions only, so it seemed kinda pointless.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, I find it kinda funny how people refuse to lift the stakes for a scenario when the obvious answer doesn't suit them.

Life works in action and consequence or action and reaction for all those picky fellows in the audience today, point being if I increase one and keep the equation equal, I have to increase/decrease the other accordingly, it's basic math, and although the base values have changed, the obvious answer is still the same, same way that anything that is true for every single instance of something is true for a collection of said something.

However, I've found that people's emotions tend to get in the way of logic.
The7thGuest
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by aNewHobby4me on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:34 am
([msg=26016]see Re: Welchia Worm[/msg])

The7thGuest wrote:Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, I find it kinda funny how people refuse to lift the stakes for a scenario when the obvious answer doesn't suit them.

I find it even more amusing that some people value property at the same level as their own life. If I lose a computer, a car, or a house I can get another. If I die, I cannot get another life, even if I still owned all those things at the time of my death.

It is not emotion but a simple comparison of that which can be replaced versus that which cannot. I choose to value that which cannot be replaced higher. If you feel that is being picky, so be it.

Back to the original question...

Tentra wrote:I just read about a worm named Welchia. The Welchia worm was written to counteract the Blaster worm, by removing Blaster, spreading itself to other computers, then finally removing itself.

So I'm asking everyone if you think that approach to virus removal is ethical?

Already answered it. I'd be happy to discuss my reasoning here, if you wish.

If you want to change the question, start a new topic and I'd be happy to discuss it with you there.
"To understand recursion you must first understand recursion."
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Post by Tentra on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:25 pm
([msg=26049]see Re: Welchia Worm[/msg])

aNewHobby4me wrote:Back to the original question...

Tentra wrote:I just read about a worm named Welchia. The Welchia worm was written to counteract the Blaster worm, by removing Blaster, spreading itself to other computers, then finally removing itself.

So I'm asking everyone if you think that approach to virus removal is ethical?

Already answered it. I'd be happy to discuss my reasoning here, if you wish.

If you want to change the question, start a new topic and I'd be happy to discuss it with you there.

You kinda confused me here, your link just quotes my original post. And why should I start a new topic to discuss it, that's why I made this one. I'm not trying to sound rude, I just don't understand what you're trying to say.
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Post by aNewHobby4me on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:23 pm
([msg=26054]see Re: Welchia Worm[/msg])

Sorry for the confusion, the post was a slightly off topic conversation with The7thGuest, and the link was supposed to point to my post where I said "I think it would be ethical only if it were an altruistic act. If you did it for your own gratification it would not.".

I can only plead lack of caffeine and promise to double check my links before posting.
"To understand recursion you must first understand recursion."
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Previous

Return to Ethics