Mass grade change

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Mass grade change

Post by tkdhkdmaster on Mon May 25, 2009 8:44 am
([msg=24362]see Mass grade change[/msg])

This entire school year my biology class has been taught nothing. Our instructor gives us a quiz or some other sheet to work on without teaching us. The only people that didn't fail the class were the ones who already had a decent background on the subject. Would it be unethical to hack into the school system and change the failing grades to D- 's. (I already have a method to do it that would work, but I don't want to start if I'm not sure I should even be doing it.)

I had to ask this because I know next to nothing on the ethics of hacking and I didn't want to do anything horribly wrong.
tkdhkdmaster
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mass grade change

Post by zenithSmil3 on Mon May 25, 2009 9:01 am
([msg=24363]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

Disclaimer :
HackThisSite does not support illegal activities.

Changing your grade is illegal. There are other ways to deal with your situation without resorting to something illegal.

http://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/1039

1. Thou shalt NOT break into a system that thoust doesn't belong
Meh.
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster

Post by Nines on Mon May 25, 2009 9:55 am
([msg=24369]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

zenithSmil3 wrote:Disclaimer :
HackThisSite does not support illegal activities.

Changing your grade is illegal. There are other ways to deal with your situation without resorting to something illegal.

http://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/1039

1. Thou shalt NOT break into a system that thoust doesn't belong

HackThisSite was built for the sole intention of training left-wing blackhat hackers to deface right-wing websites. That article is one of many on here that should be removed. While I don't for one minute condone skript kiddy destruction, etc, I feel that people here take all this ethics crap way too seriously as I'm willing to bet most of the users here found HTS because they saw Hackers or Swordfish and thought it'd be cool to break into systems.

tkdhkdmaster wrote:Would it be unethical to hack into the school system and change the failing grades to D- 's. (I already have a method to do it that would work, but I don't want to start if I'm not sure I should even be doing it.)

If you can actually do it and get away with it without asking for help here, then I don't see why you shouldn't. Although your teacher is shit you should've made an effort to do well in your own time if you cared that much about your grades. If you think about it logically, you're screwed if you don't do it and you have a chance of not being screwed if you get away with it. The odds are stacked in your favour to do it.

Ethics are based on personal politics. If it's in your favour to do something without really hurting anyone else, why not? Jesus, when did you all become such pussies?
Nines
Poster
Poster

Post by zenithSmil3 on Mon May 25, 2009 10:01 am
([msg=24370]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

HackThisSite was built for the sole intention of training left-wing blackhat hackers to deface right-wing websites. That article is one of many on here that should be removed. While I don't for one minute condone skript kiddy destruction, etc, I feel that people here take all this ethics crap way too seriously as I'm willing to bet most of the users here found HTS because they saw Hackers or Swordfish and thought it'd be cool to break into systems.

Thanks.
Meh.
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster

Post by Nines on Mon May 25, 2009 10:03 am
([msg=24371]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

zenithSmil3 wrote:Thanks.

Care to elaborate on that one?
Nines
Poster
Poster

Post by zenithSmil3 on Mon May 25, 2009 10:05 am
([msg=24373]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

Learned something new, I won't post stuff that stupid again... I wasn't being sarcastic if that was what you were asking.
Meh.
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster

Post by Nines on Mon May 25, 2009 10:11 am
([msg=24374]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

zenithSmil3 wrote:Learned something new, I won't post stuff that stupid... I wasn't being sarcastic if that was what you were asking.

Aye, just look at the realistic missions. It'd be illegal to exploit a website selling fur goods, but that's based on personal politics whether you do so or not. Why do you think Jeremy Hammond was arrested? I agree with his ethos, but it's illegal. It's all about making your own mind up on whether something is wrong or not.
Nines
Poster
Poster

Post by zenithSmil3 on Mon May 25, 2009 10:14 am
([msg=24375]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

Yea thanks. Apologies to the OP
Meh.
zenithSmil3
Poster
Poster

Post by Kage on Mon May 25, 2009 10:57 am
([msg=24384]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

HackThisSite was made not with that sole intention whatsoever. It was built upon training individuals on how to hack and better their intrusion and security skills. What you did with that knowledge was usually left off the records, but now, officially, we only sanction ethical use of your training and knowledge (ie. knowing what common flaws exist to protect your servers against it).

Why? We have to protect ourselves and our users. If we, as HackThisSite, want to continue to exist, we have to appeal to those who have every power to shut us down. Moving to another country wouldn't help either, just look at The Pirate Bay, and the hundreds of other countries that shut down people like us on a daily basis.

Call us pussy or whatever you want, but the point is, we do what we have to to continue to exist and serve our users. We still adhere to what you do with your knowledge, we are not responsible for, but we still stick to the "We train you to do malicious stuff, in hopes you won't bite us in the ass for it" sort of vibe.

Point is, we're not about defacing, destruction, and everything that the stereotypical "hacker" is supposed or expected to be and do. If you personally are, don't involve us. Just like a gun salesman, we offer you the possibility to cause massive harm, but expect (or at least hope) you won't do it.

</rant>
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
Kage
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nines on Mon May 25, 2009 12:02 pm
([msg=24390]see Re: Mass grade change[/msg])

Kage wrote:HackThisSite was made not with that sole intention whatsoever.

You're right. It was an intention, though.
Nines
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Ethics