Carrying Firearms

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Re: Carrying Firearms

Post by The Riviera Kid on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:25 pm
([msg=25777]see Re: Carrying Firearms[/msg])

zero_or_die111 wrote:I have a clear warning outside my house saying "To tresspassers-Beware of gun", anyone that wants to test that would find out real quick. So my opinion is that if the "bad guys" want guns they can and will get them. So why ban them it just gives them the upperhand.

I really agree with this point, to defend your home - though I don't know, is it legal to shoot someone for being in your house? or do they have to be carrying a gun/knife/etc.
The thing is not that people shouldn't be trusted not to "want" to kill another person, it's the mindset that they are in, not the equipment they have that makes someone kill another human being, within the last 50 years murder was unheard of, because people respected each other.
Now murder is a common thing, they broadcast it on the news every week or so, so much so that they don't bother broadcasting murders happening in other countries.
"You can't even find a typecast error!"
The Riviera Kid
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by macrocat on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:15 am
([msg=25791]see Re: Carrying Firearms[/msg])

Spectre557 wrote:If other people have guns, then that doesn't mean you should too, it means they shouldn't.

Yes, enjoy telling the guy that's mugging you that.
macrocat
New User
New User

Post by The7thGuest on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:38 am
([msg=25797]see Re: Carrying Firearms[/msg])

macrocat wrote:
Spectre557 wrote:If other people have guns, then that doesn't mean you should too, it means they shouldn't.

Haha, imagine that... When a mugger stops you, you stop him:

"Now brother, check this out man, I don't have a gun, so I feel it's morally incorrect for you to point a gun at me."

I think you might just get shot.
The7thGuest
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by TehJudicious1 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:44 am
([msg=26316]see Re: Carrying Firearms[/msg])

In the end it just comes down to human nature. Ever since the beginning of human existence our species used rocks and sticks to inflict pain on others. As our kind evolved mentally and we learned to make tools more and more efficient at completing tasks. This includes creating tools to kill other living organisms efficiently, including our own kind. Just a basic example of this progression would be like combining objects with human strength ex. rocks to spears to swords which progressed by building objects that give humans a mechanical advantage to go beyond human strength ex. slingshot to bow and arrow to gun. So that shows how weapons evolved to what they are today. Now add in the factor of human greed. Humans like having things, owning things, naming things because it symbolizes our dominance. So let’s begin with land…groups of humans want land and lots of it to show our power and dominance…so how did we get more land? Well we take it from others of course =P. The stronger people with the more effective weapons “won” the land. So in today’s world money symbolizes power and dominance because with enough money you can buy anything you want in this world. Humans used technology to kill other humans since...ever. Therefore, I don’t understand these huge debates over guns and gun rights. Whether someone beats a person over the head with a club or shoots them in the face with a gun. Humans will hurt and/or kill other humans because that’s just how our natural animalistic instincts cause our thought process to work. Society is just trying to cover them up by raising everyone up to be “civilized”. The only common denominator I see among every single problem in this entire world is...humans. So take that for what it’s worth…the opinions/beliefs of a 20yo computer engineer college drop out lol =P
Life is ours...we live it our way.
TehJudicious1
New User
New User

Post by JrJarhead on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:26 pm
([msg=26713]see Re: Carrying Firearms[/msg])

i've heard about this place called Kennesaw Georgia and i think i remember it being a rule in that town that you have to own a gun and they just about don't have crime there
To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.

Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice.
JrJarhead
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by msbachman on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:00 pm
([msg=26779]see Re: Carrying Firearms[/msg])

The7thGuest wrote:
macrocat wrote:

"Now brother, check this out man, I don't have a gun, so I feel it's morally incorrect for you to point a gun at me."

First, LOL! :)

I wouldn't have such a problem with gun control if it were not for one crucial thing that fucks everything up: how are you going to stop criminals from getting guns?

Anti-gun nuts always want to say that we need better gun control, but this presumes that passing laws restricting gun sales works well with criminals. It doesn't. People who want to keep their guns will keep them, and buy and sell them illegally.

Also, if criminals do give up guns, they can still use knives, chains, bombs, and whole hosts of weapons. What about those?

I'm actually more scared of some dude weilding a knife than one with a gun. Most people can't shoot worth a shit (Halo 3 doesn't count), unless they're trained well (rare). All it takes to kill with a knife is speed, strength, or both.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by zatanixdk on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:10 pm
([msg=30698]see Re: Carrying Firearms[/msg])

First of all i will start with the statement that i am against legal right to own a gun of any sort for the common man in the states.
I live in Denmark where people can own guns by the rules about it are very strickt.
It takes serval months to get a gun, and besides that you need to have it in a armored locker specially made for guns.
Also besides that the police regulary checks up on peoples guns if they have anything else than a hunting rifle or hunting shotgun.
its not allowed to own any kind of fully automatic gun, and semi automatic guns needs to be aproved by the nearest police department, also the clip needs to be modified to only hold 2 rounds.
All ammo have a huge waiting time and its all stamped with serial numbers, as well as the gun is, so the police can track down any legal gun if its involved in a crime.
The only time its allowed to use a gun against another person if is you are if somebody points another loaded gun at you.
any other kind of selfdefence with a gun is considered a serious crime with jailtime.
Because of the strickt rules about guns we don't really have need for special teams like swat to deal with armed bankrobbers because we never really had any hostage situations, and the number of bankrobbers carrying fully automatic weapons is very small.
The most usual weapons used for bankrobbing is knife or pistol, or sometimes a bb gun :shock:
If weapons are illegal they really are harder to get because robbers don't really need them that much.
Once of the main reasons bankrobbers in the states are using AK's and kevlar is they have to be able to deal with random people who could carry a gun and also swat teams and so on.

thats just my 5 cents.
zatanixdk
New User
New User

Post by DamegedSpy on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:37 pm
([msg=32225]see Re: Carrying Firearms[/msg])

Technically I have never seen weapons.(In my point of view)

You may be referencing to tools.

Any tool is as dangerous as the person who operates it.
By example. An attacker can use a flame-thrower or a kitchen knife, either way he can finish up killing someone.
By creating this unfair advantage an even inventing the word "weapon" criminals get their hands into them and general public will be at the will of an attacker.

Its the same as saying that an AV can only be used by the government, or a Firewall needs special permissions.

"The tool take the shape of the master and act on its will..."

Everything come with responsibilities. Driving a car(tool) give you responsibilities. You can drive at 300 KM/H or you can follow the rules.

Having an HTS account(tool) give you responsibilities. Posting here on the forums give you responsibilities.

Take The Idiot of the Year as example.(TheWhiteKid). He demonstrated that this responsibilities were too much for him. Fine, ban him until he can take the responsibility.
DamegedSpy
Poster
Poster

Post by IncandescentLight on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:46 pm
([msg=32232]see Re: Carrying Firearms[/msg])

Where I live, nearly NO ONE has guns, except for the police, army and some of our 10 royal families. And everyday we have robberies, nearly everyday murders, kids found dead and naked. Worst of all, the thieves who rob us strangely have access to firearms. Nearly every robber nowadays carries a gun here.

The general populace here have no guns. We usually keep a baseball bat, club, or sword for protection. This is my argument on why firearms should be allowed.
Speak softly and carry a big stick -Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.rhetoricalcatch.blogspot.com
IncandescentLight
Poster
Poster

Post by Spectre557 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:35 pm
([msg=32638]see Re: Carrying Firearms[/msg])

msbachman wrote:
The7thGuest wrote:
macrocat wrote:Yes, enjoy telling the guy that's mugging you that.

First, LOL! :)

I wouldn't have such a problem with gun control if it were not for one crucial thing that fucks everything up: how are you going to stop criminals from getting guns?

Anti-gun nuts always want to say that we need better gun control, but this presumes that passing laws restricting gun sales works well with criminals. It doesn't. People who want to keep their guns will keep them, and buy and sell them illegally.

Also, if criminals do give up guns, they can still use knives, chains, bombs, and whole hosts of weapons. What about those?

I've been talking ideals, really - I understand that in places where guns are already easily available introducing gun controls may not be effective or practical.

However, I stand by what I've said: While people will always find ways to kill each other, there's no need to make this easier by letting every Tom, Dick and Harry own a gun. The fact remains that if you give a man a gun, he's far more likely to kill someone than if you don't give him one.

If, somehow, you can control firearms to a decent level, the overall level of deaths I'm convinced would be lower.
Current obsession: Minecraft
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics