Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!!

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!!

Post by The7thGuest on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:48 am
([msg=26004]see Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!![/msg])

Tentra wrote:
How much will a baseball curve?
The equation is as follows (from Prof. Adair's book Physics of Baseball):
FMagnus Force = KwVCv
where:
  • FMagnus Force is the Magnus Force
  • K is the Magnus Coefficient
  • w is the spin frequency measured in rpm
  • V is the velocity of the ball in mph
  • Cv is the drag coefficient




Right mr. Genius, glad you can google and use your copy and paste functions, however you neglected to actually think about this one since according to your equation and physics, it will curve one way only, not both ways and by both ways I mean left and then right, gravity and force explains the up and down part perfectly.
The7thGuest
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!!

Post by Etelerix on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:34 pm
([msg=26268]see Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!![/msg])

I think man is a product of his society. In the nature vs nurture debate, I'm leaning on nurture. Society is bad = man is bad, Society is good = man is good. But really what's good and evil anyways and who's to tell you what's right and wrong, its all one in the end. You live, you die, and the wheels on the bus go round and round.
User avatar
Etelerix
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!!

Post by The7thGuest on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:56 am
([msg=26291]see Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!![/msg])

Etelerix wrote:I think man is a product of his society. In the nature vs nurture debate, I'm leaning on nurture. Society is bad = man is bad, Society is good = man is good. But really what's good and evil anyways and who's to tell you what's right and wrong, its all one in the end. You live, you die, and the wheels on the bus go round and round.


I'm not sure if this was quoting philosophy 101 or actually making a point?

I think man is a product of his society


Why? How? When?
I'm a cripple, a lot of people think that this actually limits my personality, does that make it true?

But really what's good and evil anyways and who's to tell you what's right and wrong, its all one in the end


So are you saying there is a right and there is a wrong, are you saying that right and wrong are the same thing, are you saying that everyone's personal view on the subject is correct? Or am I completely missing your point?

You live, you die, and the wheels on the bus go round and round


Is life therefor not worth living? Is it a pointless excercise? Or are you just refusing to believe that this could all just be a test? Which I'm not saying it is...

"People use metaphors to scare people by telling them that something worse is going to happen than what actually will. God, I wish I had a better metaphor to explain that..."
The7thGuest
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!!

Post by Etelerix on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:47 am
([msg=26305]see Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!![/msg])

7th guest, check out this link: http://paws.kettering.edu/~jhuggins/humor/banana.html

and for the wheels on the bus go round and round thing, I stole that from the movie The Bucketlist.
User avatar
Etelerix
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!!

Post by The7thGuest on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:10 am
([msg=26306]see Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!![/msg])

Etelerix wrote:7th guest, check out this link: http://paws.kettering.edu/~jhuggins/humor/banana.html

and for the wheels on the bus go round and round thing, I stole that from the movie The Bucketlist.


I'm guessing this is true for monkeys, not people.
Read my statement about metaphors again...

I think a more appropriate question would be "Ethics... A world where a supreme being is actively involved"
The7thGuest
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!!

Post by TehJudicious1 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:47 pm
([msg=26326]see Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!![/msg])

Heath Winchester wrote:Take swearing for example. Why on Earth is Fuck supposed the mother of all curse words? It is a perfectly legitimate word when used in the proper context. What made it so morally wrong in the first place? I haven't been able to come up with much of a conclusion to this question. Anybody else have an opinion?

Even taking it from a Biblical standpoint doesn't work as the Bible only talks about keeping yourself clean and taking God's name in vain. So by that standard, Damn, Hell, Shit, etc... are all perfectly legitimate words. Yet, Christians frown upon them and I can't understand why other than that it's a control mechanism.


Words are vibrations of molecules…that is it. People are the ones who give the words “power”. Words truly cannot cause harm (it’s people’s actions that cause harm) But this brings up a controversy over the word “nigger” because it is the only word that has “years and years of hatred behind it”. I had a debate in my Intro to Logic class about this dilemma with the word “nigger” and I had everyone stumped when I said what if I created a group that targeted out any minority and called them “I’s”…we would beat, torture, kill them. Leave the letter “I” marked on them. We would call them “I’s” as we did all this and terrorised their people. Now how long of a period of time would have to go by before society labeled the word “I” as racist and it is not allowed in the common language? How long before “I” gets enough power that you would get beat up for using it in public? Although some of you may see this as stupid, it is to bring up the point that could such a commonly used word like “I” be banned from a language because it was used negatively for a period of time?

Do not warn or ban this just because of the way the letters igengr are arranged in some of these sentences. The letters igengr cannot hurt people…people hurt people. This simply provides a thought provoking idea on what words truly are. I am not racist, I dislike all human life.
Life is ours...we live it our way.
Image
User avatar
TehJudicious1
New User
New User
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!!

Post by The7thGuest on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:18 am
([msg=26373]see Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!![/msg])

TehJudicious1 wrote:
Heath Winchester wrote:Take swearing for example. Why on Earth is Fuck supposed the mother of all curse words? It is a perfectly legitimate word when used in the proper context. What made it so morally wrong in the first place? I haven't been able to come up with much of a conclusion to this question. Anybody else have an opinion?

Even taking it from a Biblical standpoint doesn't work as the Bible only talks about keeping yourself clean and taking God's name in vain. So by that standard, Damn, Hell, Shit, etc... are all perfectly legitimate words. Yet, Christians frown upon them and I can't understand why other than that it's a control mechanism.


Words are vibrations of molecules…that is it. People are the ones who give the words “power”. Words truly cannot cause harm (it’s people’s actions that cause harm) But this brings up a controversy over the word “nigger” because it is the only word that has “years and years of hatred behind it”. I had a debate in my Intro to Logic class about this dilemma with the word “nigger” and I had everyone stumped when I said what if I created a group that targeted out any minority and called them “I’s”…we would beat, torture, kill them. Leave the letter “I” marked on them. We would call them “I’s” as we did all this and terrorised their people. Now how long of a period of time would have to go by before society labeled the word “I” as racist and it is not allowed in the common language? How long before “I” gets enough power that you would get beat up for using it in public? Although some of you may see this as stupid, it is to bring up the point that could such a commonly used word like “I” be banned from a language because it was used negatively for a period of time?

Do not warn or ban this just because of the way the letters igengr are arranged in some of these sentences. The letters igengr cannot hurt people…people hurt people. This simply provides a thought provoking idea on what words truly are. I am not racist, I dislike all human life.


Complete dislike for all human life? I have a feeling we'll get along just fine, strip all emotions and morality from an argument and deal only with the logic, and I live in Africa.

It's an interesting point, I'll give you that, but as a Christian I have no problem with swearing but I do have a problem with using God's name in vain as well as insulting others, as an atheist I don't have a problem with the latter if the reason behind is to increase another person's character or provoke improvement?

So I guess in a world where God does not exist that would be different, at least in my life?
The7thGuest
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!!

Post by TehJudicious1 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:46 am
([msg=26389]see Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!![/msg])

So I guess in a world where God does not exist that would be different, at least in my life?


I definitely feel that this world would be way more of a hell hole than it is today if religion never existed. While I do not believe in the spiritual world and the afterlife many religions talk about, I do believe in what religions stand for. They help parents raise their children on a belief system of morally and ethically good standards.
Life is ours...we live it our way.
Image
User avatar
TehJudicious1
New User
New User
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!!

Post by daring_du on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:39 pm
([msg=27873]see Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!![/msg])

Words are vibrations of molecules


@tehjudicious
Sorry, but I actually turned off right at this first sentence. There didn't seem to be any further need of trying to interpret your molecules after this. lol. Though you may be technically correct in some obscure way that remotely relates to the human condition being discussed, I really don't get airheads. (sorry if that sounds a bit harsh; please do correct me if I've missed the significance of what you are saying).

@7th guest
oh my, but I do feel I've found a confidant...

I live in Africa


Me too, Kenya. Where are you?

Complete dislike for all human life? I have a feeling we'll get along just fine,


hmm, I have several friends who have long since given up hope for Kenya, yet they still continue to work here trying the best they can. I'm wavering on the edge. I'm still contemplating whether or not to start my "Githongo for president" campaign but I don't want to be made an enemy of the state! ( I can explain that in more detail privately if necessary).

but as a Christian I have no problem with swearing


As a Christian, you should! (Matt 5)

as an atheist I don't have a problem with the latter if the reason behind is to increase another person's character or provoke improvement?


As an atheist you don't have any worries. Ever heard the joke: "when is an atheist all dressed up with nowhere to go? A: his funeral!" Waaaa hhaaa haaa!

Anyway, since you finish your own thought off with a question mark it's hard to know what your thoughts are about increasing another person's character or provoking improvement. Can you clarify?
daring_du
New User
New User
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!!

Post by fredjansen on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:50 pm
([msg=28342]see Re: Ethics ....A world where God does not exist!!!!![/msg])

daring_du wrote:
but as a Christian I have no problem with swearing


As a Christian, you should! (Matt 5)


Matt 5 (The Beatitudes) do not have anything against swearing. When it refers to "swearing" it is referring to making a promise, not cussing. I am a Christian, and while I do not swear often, I will when needed, and I do not frown against others doing it or listening to it in music.
fredjansen
New User
New User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 1:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


PreviousNext

Return to Ethics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron