"DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."

Current events and political views (It's not liberal vs conservative , it's better versus worse!)

"DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."

Post by Vulpine on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:29 pm
([msg=40804]see "DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."[/msg])

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/devil-details-dhs-monitoring-web-wrong-words%C2%A0

I'm definitely a little behind since this is the first time that I've heard of DCS1000 and it's predecessor, Carnivore, but a quick Google turns up some pretty scary stuff. In my opinion, it seems that the whole terrorists/national security scare has put us on the fast track to a police-state. Naturally, I'm completely in favor of hunting down those who seek to harm innocents, but where do we ethically draw the line? I can't stop thinking about some bastardized real-life love-child of Philip K Dick and George Orwell...
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: "DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."

Post by msbachman on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:51 pm
([msg=40808]see Re: "DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."[/msg])

Vulpine wrote: I've heard of DCS1000 and it's predecessor, Carnivore,

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure DSC1000 is Carnivore...as in, the exact same thing only under a different name. Probably a PR stunt to give it a more bookish sounding name.

Nice article btw.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheNightFox on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:11 pm
([msg=41239]see Re: "DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."[/msg])

We're on the fast tract to becoming like the world of Nineteen Eighty-four. It's quite scary.

The internet is being regulated by people who don't understand it. My country, yes. My government, no.
He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.
TheNightFox
New User
New User

Post by Xah11aW on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:43 pm
([msg=41240]see Re: "DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."[/msg])

That's scary. 1984 was definitely my favorite book, if you liked that, definitely read "little Brother" by Cory Doctorow. It was released two years ago and its all about the DHS monitoring people on the internet and through mobile devices. The book is really interesting because its real tech-heavy but damn scary because almost everything in there is possible.
Xah11aW
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:51 pm
([msg=41241]see Re: "DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."[/msg])

Come now... If you're innocent you have nothing to hide xD.

Anyways, I agree, it's not cool. Carnivore was a horrible idea. Targeting people based on evidence is fine by me, as long as evidence means real evidence of harmful intent. And as far as I'm concerned, downloading a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook, does not constitute terror suspect.

Not to mention, the U.S. Government really needs a council on modern computing, preferably comprised of tech-savvy individuals, and of course, have it be open.
pffff... yea right. In my dreams perhaps.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Goatboy on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:12 pm
([msg=41243]see Re: "DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:Come now... If you're innocent you have nothing to hide xD.

I know you're (probably) joking, but here's my response to that:

Let's assume for the moment that I do not, in fact, have anything to hide. If I refuse to give up my TrueCrypt password, does that mean I am hiding something? No! It means I am refusing to let them peer into my private life. By denying them access, I am setting a precedent for everyone else. If enough "innocent" people with nothing to hide keep refusing to give up their privacy, eventually it should become obvious that you have that right.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by TheNightFox on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:05 pm
([msg=41315]see Re: "DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."[/msg])

None the less, it's sometimes a bit scary what can be found on the internet. I mean, it's not like you load up Google and start getting offers for drugs and assassins, like some techno-phobic people like to pretend, but I mean, I download books. Some of the books in my library are pretty scary. 21 techniques of silent killing, for one.
However, while I find it quite disturbing that people not as mentally sound as me might be reading these, I do still think it's not within ethics to monitor people for reading that sort of thing, as you said insomaniacal.

Reminds me of those GTA radio ads for Citizens United in Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety.
He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future.
TheNightFox
New User
New User

Post by Werevamp999 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:15 am
([msg=47717]see Re: "DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."[/msg])

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is all getting pretty scary. I was reading this article from a school computer, and the computer (which has remote viewing software to monitor students) won't even let me read some of this stuff. The internet runs through a proxy set up by our state (I believe, that is what I was told) for schools that has blocked many of they keywords that were listen in the given article. What happened to the principals this nation was founded upon? just saying.
Werevamp999
New User
New User

Post by Vulpine on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:07 am
([msg=47727]see Re: "DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."[/msg])

Werevamp999 wrote:What happened to the principals this nation was founded upon?

The Founding Fathers didn't legislate them, unfortunately. Which is probably a good thing in some regards.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by sanddbox on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:20 pm
([msg=47759]see Re: "DHS will monitor more U.S. citizens on the Internet..."[/msg])

Werevamp999 wrote:What happened to the principals this nation was founded upon? just saying.

The whole idea of erecting a nation on top of principals is kind of disturbing - it seems like a grotesque way to kill someone. At any rate, I would wager they're dead, crushed under tons of building material. Wait, was that question rhetorical?

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Politics