Closing in, Mr. Orwell...

Current events and political views (It's not liberal vs conservative , it's better versus worse!)

Closing in, Mr. Orwell...

Post by cbsmth on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:08 pm
([msg=16158]see Closing in, Mr. Orwell...[/msg])

It might be quite eerie as a first post, but I'm very inclined to hear your opinions on a few things that's been of great importance lately...

First of all, a short notice about how things are like in my country, Sweden. Since a few years back, intellectual property (IP) adversaries have lobbied more and more restrictive, intrusive and almost Orwellian laws, the reasons for which are fighting piracy and terrorism. This year, a law was passed allowing an agency to monitor all outgoing traffic, scanning for "keywords" or the likes that are "a threat to the country." Now, the details for how this will exactly work is unenclosed, since having those facts open would obviously allow for people to find workarounds, avoiding the system. Of course, the state "would never" turn this against it's own citizens, it's for our own protection.. Right? But regardless of that, the fact that a tool of this caliber is in existence disturbs me.

And that was just step one.

A second law, the IPRED, allows companies (read, record labels and the likes) to, on suspicion of piracy, demand information about the owner of a certain IP-address. The proof needed for this is laughably low, and in other countries, companies have already taken advantage of the powers such a legislation gives and literally blackmailed people (on /. http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/26/201232). I've heard that the same kind of thing has happened in America and elsewhere too.. Other fun effects of this law is that it would theoretically become illegal to host an open wireless network, since that would be equal to providing a service that somebody could use to commit crime in your name.

Now, that's pretty bad, one might think, but the third and most draconian of all "propositions" (so far...) is this:
On suggestion by the European Parliament, a directive is (was, really..) to be enforced, demanding that cellphone carriers save data from their users, including number dialed, location, sent and received text messages. ISPs are to keep record of who was using what IP-address at what time, and e-mail service providers are to save information about emails passing through their servers.

A party was formed a few years ago, fighting for personal integrity on the Internet, and also against copyrights and the likes. Lately, the party has been growing rapidly, but it is still not at a level where it could enter parliament. The "old" parties are, in my own opinion, outdated. They don't realize just what influence the Internet has on the current world, and thus they are all sadly for the legislations. All youth-parties are against, but they are lent a deaf ear...

I think fighting against the governmental intrusion into private matters is a very important cause, and I'm sure many of you agree with me on this. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't want to live in fear of writing what I think, pondering that it might one day be thought of as "bad", placing me in a truly unfavorable position. I don't want anyone but the recipient to read my mails. I don't want a world where PGP is an absolute necessity.

What I'm really interested in is how the struggle looks like in other countries, and what like-minded people thinks and does. If you've got a few minutes to spare, please share your thoughts. ;)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5439604.ece - Unwarranted state-approved PC intrusion..?
"The truth is not Black and White, it's RGB"
cbsmth
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Closing in, Mr. Orwell...

Post by comperr on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:24 pm
([msg=16167]see Re: Closing in, Mr. Orwell...[/msg])

start with http://www.torproject.org/
http://www.eff.org/ --> american
I'm sure there are others
comperr
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Politics