PC for Games/Media and Work?

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

PC for Games/Media and Work?

Post by Mro613 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:47 am
([msg=74323]see PC for Games/Media and Work?[/msg])

I'm thinking of getting a custom PC. But I want one that can run games/watch HD videos at optimal quality (without lag), and can also do a better-than-average job for running work-related programs (i.e. Microsoft Word, Photoshop, Sony Vegas, 3DS Max & other Autodesk products, etc.). Can someone tell me the best specs to get? I'm using a website called Ironside, heres the link for the type of PC I want:
http://ironsidecomputers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28219&products_id=84
There are drop-down menus that ask what type of specs,cases, and coolers you want; but I just want to know the best specs I should get. Thanks in advance
Mro613
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PC for Games/Media and Work?

Post by centip3de on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:59 pm
([msg=74324]see Re: PC for Games/Media and Work?[/msg])

Mro613 wrote:I'm thinking of getting a custom PC. But I want one that can run games/watch HD videos at optimal quality (without lag), and can also do a better-than-average job for running work-related programs (i.e. Microsoft Word, Photoshop, Sony Vegas, 3DS Max & other Autodesk products, etc.). Can someone tell me the best specs to get? I'm using a website called Ironside, heres the link for the type of PC I want:
http://ironsidecomputers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28219&products_id=84
There are drop-down menus that ask what type of specs,cases, and coolers you want; but I just want to know the best specs I should get. Thanks in advance

The best specs you should get for running games?:
The best hardware available.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Mro613 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:54 pm
([msg=74326]see Re: PC for Games/Media and Work?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:The best specs you should get for running games?:
The best hardware available.

But what about for work? Because I've heard that even if you have great specs for games, there's some some hardware you should have in order to run other applications more faster and efficiently (like Photoshop, Sony Vegas [for faster rendering], and the other stuff I listed).
Mro613
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:08 pm
([msg=74327]see Re: PC for Games/Media and Work?[/msg])

Mro613 wrote:But what about for work? Because I've heard that even if you have great specs for games, there's some some hardware you should have in order to run other applications more faster and efficiently (like Photoshop, Sony Vegas [for faster rendering], and the other stuff I listed).

The only thing that speeds up rendering and what not (that doesn't necessarily improve the quality of your games) is RAM. However, most computers now-a-days come with 8-16 GB which, unless you're rendering an upwards of 1,000,000 polygons, should be plenty.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Mro613 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:47 pm
([msg=74328]see Re: PC for Games/Media and Work?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:The only thing that speeds up rendering and what not (that doesn't necessarily improve the quality of your games) is RAM. However, most computers now-a-days come with 8-16 GB which, unless you're rendering an upwards of 1,000,000 polygons, should be plenty.

When I said rendering I meant for my programs I use for work, such as: Photoshop: for exporting pictures; Sony Vegas: for rendering videos; and 3DS Max: for rendering animations. I was asking for if there was any hardware I had to get (that usually wouldn't come with gaming computers) to make such programs like these (and Microsoft Word, etc.) run more faster and efficiently.
Mro613
New User
New User

Post by Assassian360 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:48 pm
([msg=74331]see Re: PC for Games/Media and Work?[/msg])

Mro613 wrote:When I said rendering I meant for my programs I use for work, such as: Photoshop: for exporting pictures; Sony Vegas: for rendering videos; and 3DS Max: for rendering animations. I was asking for if there was any hardware I had to get (that usually wouldn't come with gaming computers) to make such programs like these (and Microsoft Word, etc.) run more faster and efficiently.

No you don't need any special hardware. But you do want to probably get a recent graphics card and CPU to go with your RAM.
Assassian360
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:38 pm
([msg=74332]see Re: PC for Games/Media and Work?[/msg])

Mro613 wrote:When I said rendering I meant for my programs I use for work, such as: Photoshop: for exporting pictures; Sony Vegas: for rendering videos; and 3DS Max: for rendering animations. I was asking for if there was any hardware I had to get (that usually wouldn't come with gaming computers) to make such programs like these (and Microsoft Word, etc.) run more faster and efficiently.

I understood what you meant, but Photoshop, Sony Vegas, and Microsoft word all improve in speed and efficiency much like a game would (i.e. faster CPU's, graphics cards, etc. all improve it's speed). However, 3DS Max and other modeling software require an enormous amount of RAM for rendering (as well as all the others) so 8-16 GB of RAM should be just fine for non-industrial purposes, as stated before.
centip3de

Post by Mro613 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:32 am
([msg=74334]see Re: PC for Games/Media and Work?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:However, 3DS Max and other modeling software require an enormous amount of RAM for rendering (as well as all the others) so 8-16 GB of RAM should be just fine for non-industrial purposes, as stated before.

So, let's say the animations I make are 4-5min.long max, and I want to use some 3DS Max plugins (like FumeFx). What would be the best amount of RAM to handle all of that? (Sorry if I sound annoying, I'm getting a computer soon, and I really want to get the best one that fits my needs). :geek:

-- Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:59 am --

Assassian360 wrote:No you don't need any special hardware. But you do want to probably get a recent graphics card and CPU to go with your RAM.

Ok, in that case, I'll get a Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 1GB :P
Thanks
Mro613
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:57 am
([msg=74336]see Re: PC for Games/Media and Work?[/msg])

Mro613 wrote:So, let's say the animations I make are 4-5min.long max, and I want to use some 3DS Max plugins (like FumeFx). What would be the best amount of RAM to handle all of that? (Sorry if I sound annoying, I'm getting a computer soon, and I really want to get the best one that fits my needs). :geek:

As said before, 8-16 GB should suffice. However, if you really want overkill, 32 GB should be even better.
centip3de

Post by Mro613 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:43 pm
([msg=74342]see Re: PC for Games/Media and Work?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:As said before, 8-16 GB should suffice. However, if you really want overkill, 32 GB should be even better.

Thanks. Btw, memory is the same as RAM right? Sorry for the dumb n00b question, I'm not that tech-savvy. :oops:
Mro613
New User
New User

Next

Return to Hardware