Hardware related? PC Restarting

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Hardware related? PC Restarting

Post by gungnir206 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:32 pm
([msg=74273]see Hardware related? PC Restarting[/msg])

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but i wonder if i could get your opinions please? I've been browsing the site for quite a while and find most topics here fascinating - so i know you all know your PC's.

I built my current PC a few years ago with a friend - it was my first build but he had done many (many many! :p). For the past couple of months, i've had sporadic restarts of the PC. Initially, the blue screen of death would give me various errors, one of which being MEMORY_MANAGEMENT related. After a little bit of googling i had come to the conclusion that it could possibly be my RAM, Harddrive or Processor; although i heard you'd have to do well to destroy your processor.

With that in mind, I did a RAM check and did have some errors so replaced that. Start the PC and eventually the same old story. A BSOD.

It's possibly here that I should mention that there's a couple of ways that i can reliably force this to happen. Either:
a) Leave my PC on for 3/4 hours
b) Start up something particularly taxing on the PC - such as a game. This causes the BSOD in 5 minutes or less.
When the PC is powered, it's rather loud. As in, malfunctioning whirring noises loud. Quite a deep low hum, sometimes a bit like a washing machine :p

Before i blow more money on hardware that doesn't actually need replacing, I wanted to run my reasoning by you to see if you agree. If i had to place bets, i'd replace my harddrive next due to the noise the PC is making(cheap as well - woohoo!). But due to the nature of the problem, i'm starting to wonder if it could be part of the mobo damaged or even the processor, in which case it may be easier for me to replace the whole thing.

Any and all opinions are completely welcome and appreciated, and even if you don't post, it's great to put down my thoughts before i commit to a solution.
gungnir206
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hardware related? PC Restarting

Post by KthProg on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:02 pm
([msg=74275]see Re: Hardware related? PC Restarting[/msg])

I would guess memory leak problem given that it's time dependent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak
^Look especially at 'Effects'
This especially makes sense if the memory leak is in the kernel, as OS usually kill the task taking up the most memory when no memory is left, in this case, it would kill the OS.
Another possibility is power supply problem, this is a little more likely.

Did you replace all of the RAM?
If so then it's probably the power supply.

Factoring in the noises however makes me rather clueless...
If it slows down before it fails then a memory leak is likely.

Other people here may know more than I do though.
I recommend asking in IRC.hackthissite.org.

Use task manager to check your memory usage over time.
If it continues to rise, try to find the task that is taking up your memory.
There is a chance that a virus is taking up all of your memory (by constantly executing itself)
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by WallShadow on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:01 pm
([msg=74281]see Re: Hardware related? PC Restarting[/msg])

Kth, i should mention that OS's are built very precisely to avoid memory leaks. I doubt it's memory leaks.

@OP, I consistently have problems with my main laptop where Win would very spontaneously BSoD at random points with different messages often mentioning memory. As a side note, starting up in linux gives me a consistent error on startup saying something like 'unable to page memory at' . I figured out a simple solution: toy around with the RAM chips, removing RAM chips, switching around their positions, and selectively removing chips, I found that 1 specific chip was causing consistent problems and removed that chip. Try it yourself.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KthProg on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:04 pm
([msg=74282]see Re: Hardware related? PC Restarting[/msg])

lol i actually got BSoD today viewing my email lol...
Windows is just...strange lol.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by WallShadow on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 pm
([msg=74284]see Re: Hardware related? PC Restarting[/msg])

KthProg wrote:Windows is just...strange .

ikr?
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:51 pm
([msg=74313]see Re: Hardware related? PC Restarting[/msg])

It could possibly be overheating. You saying you leave it on for a few hours and it restarts or playing a game made me think of that. Also, you could be exceeding the maximum amount of watts your PSU can handle. Have you added any new hardware to the pc recently like a video card or something?
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Return to Hardware