Operating System Problem

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Operating System Problem

Post by Irish Clov3r on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:40 am
([msg=73915]see Operating System Problem[/msg])

I downloaded Ubuntu on my usb an currently i've been using it a lot lately. I even was gonna fully downloaded but when it asked if i wanted to i declined now when I boot up my computer without the usb it says i'm missing my drive. I believe somehow my old operating system might be deleted or just isn't working i need help?
Irish Clov3r
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Operating System Problem

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:35 pm
([msg=73917]see Re: Operating System Problem[/msg])

The only way I see this happening is if you ended up canceling the install while it had already started.
You original partition probably got messed up. There are many threads on here which I know to have posted on myself about this issue, try searching for them... Go grab a tool tht recovers partitions and hope that it works. Also, I stress this MAKE A BACKUP DISK of everything you want to keep when installing a new operating system. No matter what, it is possible to corrupt some files...
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by centip3de on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:46 pm
([msg=73919]see Re: Operating System Problem[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:The only way I see this happening is if you ended up canceling the install while it had already started.
You original partition probably got messed up. There are many threads on here which I know to have posted on myself about this issue, try searching for them... Go grab a tool tht recovers partitions and hope that it works. Also, I stress this MAKE A BACKUP DISK of everything you want to keep when installing a new operating system. No matter what, it is possible to corrupt some files...

I highly doubt it. Normally with a screwed up partition, it'll throw some error like, "No Operating System", or something like that. However, he's getting a different error and even said that he was going to download (I'm assuming he meant install) it, not that he did. Not only that, but he claims that he's been using his USB live-disk a lot and that he's getting a no-disk error. It seems to me that what he might have done, is switched the boot order and accidentally removed his HDD from that entirely. (Still good advice about the backing-things-up part).

Then again, it is in bad English so it's hard to decipher what actually happened... OP, did you ever mess with your boot order in your BIOS settings?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Irish Clov3r on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:36 pm
([msg=73922]see Re: Operating System Problem[/msg])

This is what comes up when i dont have the usb plugged into the computer please help

Dell system Optiplex gx620 series
b103 version A86
http://www.dell.com

Drive 0 not found: serial ATA, 3ATA-0
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

But the only things is when i hit F1 is sorry no drive. To the Question about me messing with things haven't changed a thing except for using the Ubuntu Linux on the Usb
Irish Clov3r
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:34 pm
([msg=73943]see Re: Operating System Problem[/msg])

Irish Clov3r wrote:This is what comes up when i dont have the usb plugged into the computer please help

Dell system Optiplex gx620 series
b103 version A86
http://www.dell.com

Drive 0 not found: serial ATA, 3ATA-0
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

But the only things is when i hit F1 is sorry no drive. To the Question about me messing with things haven't changed a thing except for using the Ubuntu Linux on the Usb

Well then it looks like an issue with your HDD. I'd suggest Googling around, or posting on a Hardware-specific forum such as "Tom's Hardware". They're much more knowledgeable in this subject than we are.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to Hardware