Motherboard shall R.I.P(damn time...)

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Motherboard shall R.I.P(damn time...)

Post by brainiac3397 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:28 am
([msg=67400]see Motherboard shall R.I.P(damn time...)[/msg])

Now, I've never actually had a computer long enough to actually suffer a catastrophic motherboard failure(which is already obnoxiously vague to identify). After ruling out everything from viruses to a messed-up video card, I've read somewhere that a motherboard failure tends to cause incorrect displays of the failure of other hardware.

My question here is what the hell am i looking for? I've never actually replaced a motherboard, nor do i give the motherboard a thought(till now). I believe the processor/cpu needs to match the slot of the motherboard(most important aspect?), but is there anything else i should look out for? Perhaps advice on picking a brand, one that won't lead to melting in a few months or violent nuclear explosions upon turning on the pc.

I'd appreciate the help(and maybe some tips to look out for, maybe on how i reconnect those jumble of wires :) )
brainiac3397
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Motherboard shall R.I.P(damn time...)

Post by acevic on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:42 am
([msg=67402]see Re: Motherboard shall R.I.P(damn time...)[/msg])

brainiac3397 wrote:Now, I've never actually had a computer long enough to actually suffer a catastrophic motherboard failure(which is already obnoxiously vague to identify). After ruling out everything from viruses to a messed-up video card, I've read somewhere that a motherboard failure tends to cause incorrect displays of the failure of other hardware.

My question here is what the hell am i looking for? I've never actually replaced a motherboard, nor do i give the motherboard a thought(till now). I believe the processor/cpu needs to match the slot of the motherboard(most important aspect?), but is there anything else i should look out for? Perhaps advice on picking a brand, one that won't lead to melting in a few months or violent nuclear explosions upon turning on the pc.

I'd appreciate the help(and maybe some tips to look out for, maybe on how i reconnect those jumble of wires :) )

Could you post more details on the issues you are facing? Maybe it could be something else causing the issues. Also, if you really do need to replace your motherboard, please post your current configuration, i.e CPU model, current motherboard model, Graphics card (if you use an extra card instead of the built in one). If you're not sure how to find those out, use CPU-Z to find out your current configuration. If the hardware does not respond or if your computer does not start up, open up your computer and check out the model numbers for the parts individually. If you are not sure which part of the computer your motherboard is, it's the big circuit where all the computer parts are placed into. We need more details as to your issues and current configuration in order to obtain an appropriate assessment.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Hardware