Is it worth it?

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Is it worth it?

Post by acevic on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:39 am
([msg=66839]see Is it worth it?[/msg])

MyLOK

Something I found quite interesting. Apparently a PCMag award winner device for secure password storage and management. I wonder if they have stuff like this with an additional layer of security added with biometrics. I have seen a couple of flash drive with biometrics only but that alone causes them to be vulnerable. What are your thoughts on this device and biometric flash drives? Would love some feedback.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:22 pm
([msg=66869]see Re: Is it worth it?[/msg])

I believe biometrics would be best implemented as an additional layer including the password. Lets just say you needed to repeat a voice phrase or fingerprint. All that you would need would be a recording or a fingerprint duplicate from some other object. Not that that's going to be easy to obtain, but if the password was also implemented it would make it just that much harder to access the device. I don't see a reason for not having both. Interesting concept though.

This also brings up the issue of what if the recording/scanning device gets messed up or you lose your voice or lol accidentally burn off your fingerprints? Can you not access your important files anymore?
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by limdis on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:55 pm
([msg=66870]see Re: Is it worth it?[/msg])

I've used biometric devices. Not once was it double layered. Basically it just replaces the password to make logging in easier and faster. You can store each of your 10 fingers prints, so if you just happen to lose one you can still get in. But if you want to get the mother of all secured flash drives, get yourself an Ironkey. This little thing comes equip with its own mini nuclear war head.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by acevic on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:21 am
([msg=66889]see Re: Is it worth it?[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:I believe biometrics would be best implemented as an additional layer including the password. Lets just say you needed to repeat a voice phrase or fingerprint. All that you would need would be a recording or a fingerprint duplicate from some other object. Not that that's going to be easy to obtain, but if the password was also implemented it would make it just that much harder to access the device. I don't see a reason for not having both. Interesting concept though.<br><br>This also brings up the issue of what if the recording/scanning device gets messed up or you lose your voice or lol accidentally burn off your fingerprints? Can you not access your important files anymore?

I agree. As I said earlier, the flash drive could use biometrics as an additional layer of security. Would be a plus point if you had alternate verification options for safety such as voice AND fingerprinting. An optional GPS module that can be turned on and off only by the owner would make it ideal to trace in the event of loss. The GPS module could be bundled with a proximity sensor that alerts the user when he/she is found to be far away from the device. And of course, there's the remote kill switch. On top of that, everything should be rugged, waterproof and the flash drive should be high speed, high capacity. Now that's ideal. 8-)

limdis wrote:I've used biometric devices. Not once was it double layered. Basically it just replaces the password to make logging in easier and faster. You can store each of your 10 fingers prints, so if you just happen to lose one you can still get in. But if you want to get the mother of all secured flash drives, get yourself an Ironkey. This little thing comes equip with its own mini nuclear war head.

I hear you man. I don't know why manufacturers are that incompetent. Love the Ironkey though. That, added to the other features I stated above could make one heck of a flash drive lol. I'm buying an Ironkey s200 16 Gb Personal thanks to you. Damn expensive though...
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Post by ghost107 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:02 am
([msg=66896]see Re: Is it worth it?[/msg])

acevic wrote:MyLOK

Something I found quite interesting. Apparently a PCMag award winner device for secure password storage and management. I wonder if they have stuff like this with an additional layer of security added with biometrics. I have seen a couple of flash drive with biometrics only but that alone causes them to be vulnerable. What are your thoughts on this device and biometric flash drives? Would love some feedback.

In what I saw its just a simple USB flash drive with a software installed on it which installs some plugins on the browser(not so secure to me). Plus only limited for Windows systems.
https://www.mylok.com/support/install/w ... stall.html
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by acevic on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:31 pm
([msg=66897]see Re: Is it worth it?[/msg])

ghost107 wrote:
acevic wrote:In what I saw its just a simple USB flash drive with a software installed on it which installs some plugins on the browser(not so secure to me). Plus only limited for Windows systems.
https://www.mylok.com/support/install/w ... stall.html

Apparently it has hardware protection. Some smart chip technology if I read it correctly. Don't know how that works though. Maybe the software is attached to the firmware of the drive and made to be read only? I'd still prefer the Ironkey with the biometric protection concept though.
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Return to Hardware