Learning how to fix electronics devices

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Learning how to fix electronics devices

Post by ampakine on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:25 am
([msg=60620]see Learning how to fix electronics devices[/msg])

I wanna get good at fixing electronics devices so I don't have to buy new things as often when they break. Right now I have 2 things that need fixing, a printer and a computer monitor so I'm gonna start by trying to fix these. The first step obviously is to diagnose the problem. I'm gonna need some help with this because I have 0 experience with this kinda thing. I'll start with the monitor:

The monitor is a Fujistu-Siemens SCALEOVIEW LCD monitor. The problem is the monitor won't turn on at all, none of the lights even go on so it seems that power isn't going into it. I tried replacing the power cord with one that I know works but it didn't fix it so the problem isn't the power cord.. I've never even opened up an LCD monitor so I don't really know how to proceed now. Should I take it apart and try and locate a fuse or something? I hear TV's contain high voltage capacitors that can give you a nasty shock, does the same go for LCD monitors?

As for the printer it is a HP Deskjet F380 printer/scanner. The scanner is working fine but the printer is messed up. A few days ago the paper kept getting side tracked and jammed every time I tried to print something so I opened up the printer and eventually found the problem which was a rubber cap that came lose from one of the inkbeds and was blocking the papers path. I put the rubber cap back where it belongs then put the printer back together but I must have fucked something up because now theres a new problem. The paper goes in fine and doesn't jam but nothing gets printed on the paper. I can see the ink cartidge holders moving up and down the track as if its printing but for some reason they're not putting any ink on the paper. Any idea how I caused this? The main obstacle I encountered taking this printer apart was a ribbon cable that was a royal pain in the hole to reconnect so I suspect I might not have reconnected it properly but I tried disconnecting it and reconnecting it again but it didn't solve the problem. Any tips?
ampakine
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Learning how to fix electronics devices

Post by mShred on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:54 pm
([msg=60635]see Re: Learning how to fix electronics devices[/msg])

ampakine wrote:I wanna get good at fixing electronics devices so I don't have to buy new things as often when they break. Right now I have 2 things that need fixing, a printer and a computer monitor so I'm gonna start by trying to fix these. The first step obviously is to diagnose the problem. I'm gonna need some help with this because I have 0 experience with this kinda thing. I'll start with the monitor:

The monitor is a Fujistu-Siemens SCALEOVIEW LCD monitor. The problem is the monitor won't turn on at all, none of the lights even go on so it seems that power isn't going into it. I tried replacing the power cord with one that I know works but it didn't fix it so the problem isn't the power cord.. I've never even opened up an LCD monitor so I don't really know how to proceed now. Should I take it apart and try and locate a fuse or something? I hear TV's contain high voltage capacitors that can give you a nasty shock, does the same go for LCD monitors?

As for the printer it is a HP Deskjet F380 printer/scanner. The scanner is working fine but the printer is messed up. A few days ago the paper kept getting side tracked and jammed every time I tried to print something so I opened up the printer and eventually found the problem which was a rubber cap that came lose from one of the inkbeds and was blocking the papers path. I put the rubber cap back where it belongs then put the printer back together but I must have fucked something up because now theres a new problem. The paper goes in fine and doesn't jam but nothing gets printed on the paper. I can see the ink cartidge holders moving up and down the track as if its printing but for some reason they're not putting any ink on the paper. Any idea how I caused this? The main obstacle I encountered taking this printer apart was a ribbon cable that was a royal pain in the hole to reconnect so I suspect I might not have reconnected it properly but I tried disconnecting it and reconnecting it again but it didn't solve the problem. Any tips?

You'd honestly probably be better leaving the monitor alone.. But if you're set on it, I'd say just Google some common LCD problems and their fixes.
For the printer, I'm not completely sure either. Again Google would help more than myself. Maybe you did something to actually mess up the ink dispenser.
But if you really wanna learn more electronic stuff, I'd say look into an arduino. That is, if you're not scared of programming or anything. You'll learn more about the core of electronics, the motherboard, basic LED's, resistors, transistors, blah blah. It all depends on if you're actually into that stuff.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Hardware