Page 2 of 8

Re: Your Personal System

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:04 am
by myhexhax
These are mostly what I use on a daily basis.. I have a few more machines laying around, but I don't use them too much. I'm hoping to take my file server up to 5TB total at some point. Eventually I'll cluster a few together, at ~$547 per machine.. Only as I need it though. Each will get cheaper as TB drives drop in price. They've come down from $100/per to $90/per since 1/3/2009.. Sitting at about ~4.25TB of storage right now though.

Desktop:
Brand: None
Mobo: A8N SLI Deluxe
CPU: AMD 64 3200+ 2.09GHz
RAM: 3GB (and some spare change)
Monitor: HP w2207 22" LCD 16:10
Video: Nvidia 8400GS
HDD: 3x 500GB 7,200RPM SATA (2 WD, 1 Seagate)
1x 250GB 7,200RPM Seagate SATA

File Server:
Brand: None
Mobo: Intel Mini-ITX with Aton Processor
RAM: 1GB Crucial DDR2
HDD: 3x1TB 7,200RPM Samsung
Misc: Rosewill Internal 4xSATA Controller
(this was supposed to run XP off of a CF card, but it really wasn't as reliable as I was hoping, so I just partitioned a part of one of the 1TB drives off to run the OS and the rest for file storage)

Development Server:
Brand: Dell
Model: PowerEdge 1650
Form Factor: 1U
CPU: 2x Pentium 3 @ 1.4GHz
RAM: 2GB via ECC SIMMs
HDD: 3x18GB 15,000RPM SCSI in RAID5
Misc: DRACIII Remote access card, hardware RAID controller with 256MB buffer and battery backup, 2 redundant, hot swappable power supplies

Re: Your Personal System

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:41 am
by thedotmaster
Oh, you know.. 4 Nvidia Teslas in SLI, liquid nitrogen cooling..
Okay fine, Ei Systems T1600 1.6Ghz, 1GB RAM, 160GB running Xubuntu, 2Ghz, 1GB RAM with about 40GB storage running Ubuntu, 900Mhz Eee PC 701 with 2GB RAM and 4GB storage running a CLI installation of Debian and a 2.5Ghz, 3GB Dell Inspiron 510 running Vista.
Most are low spec, but they do what I need.

Edit: oh and I've got an Apple IIe and 2 HP LPr servers too. They all need sorting out though. A task for the summer, perhaps.

Re: Your Personal System

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:58 am
by myhexhax
thedotmaster wrote:Oh, you know..


How do you work with such little storage >< I guess my photography hobby tends to suck up alot (32GB/1000 pictures, which I can shoot through in a weekend)

Re: Your Personal System

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:01 pm
by insomaniacal
I also have a 160GB, then a 20GB external drive, but I've yet to run out of space. Most of what takes up space on my disk is music, or music related.

Re: Your Personal System

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:56 pm
by thedotmaster
myhexhax wrote:
thedotmaster wrote:Oh, you know..


How do you work with such little storage >< I guess my photography hobby tends to suck up alot (32GB/1000 pictures, which I can shoot through in a weekend)


Oh awesome, I'm also into photography (though have been shooting a lot less recently). I use 500GB external harddrive for storage of photos and music etc. Do you shoot in RAW? It's really useful but takes up a ton of space.

Re: Your Personal System

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:01 pm
by myhexhax
thedotmaster wrote:Oh awesome, I'm also into photography (though have been shooting a lot less recently). I use 500GB external harddrive for storage of photos and music etc. Do you shoot in RAW? It's really useful but takes up a ton of space.


Yes, when I'm not shooting film I shoot RAW. Saved my butt a ton of times, especially at the wedding I did. Helped incredibly when shooting girls volleyball. The magnesium lighting threw the WB off every other shot, the blacks of the girl's shorts would get crushed, jersey highlights would get blown.. no middle ground; shooting raw allows me to retrieve detail that I would've lost. Sure I only get 300 shots per 8GB card, but it's definitely a cost I'm willing to incur. Some time I'll sit down and delete pictures that are completely useless to free up some room...

Re: Your Personal System

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:47 pm
by thedotmaster
myhexhax wrote:Yes, when I'm not shooting film I shoot RAW. Saved my butt a ton of times, especially at the wedding I did. Helped incredibly when shooting girls volleyball. The magnesium lighting threw the WB off every other shot, the blacks of the girl's shorts would get crushed, jersey highlights would get blown.. no middle ground; shooting raw allows me to retrieve detail that I would've lost. Sure I only get 300 shots per 8GB card, but it's definitely a cost I'm willing to incur. Some time I'll sit down and delete pictures that are completely useless to free up some room...


Ah I never really got into film, mainly because of the time and cost involved. RAW is really flexible, but it can be annoying when sorting through them later, with each picture taking a while to load.
You seem to have done a lot more professionally, the most I've done is entered into a few exhibitions and competitions, of which I won one.
Which camera(s) do you use?

Re: Your Personal System

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:37 pm
by myhexhax
To PM so we don't throw this topic into oblivion lol.

Re: Your Personal System

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:51 pm
by Se7enBlaydz
Nines wrote:
Se7enBlaydz wrote:Motherboard: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 280
RAM: 4 Ghz

lol


hey...it's all the money i had to build a simple computer. later on i'm ramping everything up. i don't have a job right now so i spent the last of my money to get decent parts since my other one burnt out. :lol:

Re: Your Personal System

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:00 pm
by thedotmaster
Se7enBlaydz wrote:hey...it's all the money i had to build a simple computer. later on i'm ramping everything up. i don't have a job right now so i spent the last of my money to get decent parts since my other one burnt out. :lol:


He's getting at the fact that you don't know what you're talking about.