RFID Tracking System

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Re: RFID Tracking System

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:04 pm
([msg=52736]see Re: RFID Tracking System[/msg])

Goatboy wrote: Pick up a book by Forrest M. Mims on basic electronics.

Seconded. I actually have a workbook by him lying in my drawer. Easy to understand, and the projects inside are easily adaptable for exploration. The problem with RFID is range. It has a very small one, so you'd need something else to sense it's presence and then inform you of it via another means. The tag itself won't actually be able to transmit it's location in GPS coordinates to a remote server, if that's the kind of thing you were thinking of doing. That'd be very cool, but unrealistic.

You could build a really minimalistic computer that runs Linux and transmits the information every time it can get access to a wifi hotspot. I've seen really small boards sold and advertised as capable of running Linux, though the technical skill required to get it all working (not to mention adding WiFi capability) would be quite high.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: RFID Tracking System

Post by neuromanta on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:43 am
([msg=52748]see Re: RFID Tracking System[/msg])

I don't think it would be nessessary to assemble a whole mini-computer with OS running on it. It's suffice to build a small device with an MCU and an antenna. You could do the reading of the tags with your computer (connecting some antennas to it). It sounds like a cool project, by the way ;).
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Hardware