Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions!

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions!

Post by racman92 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:36 pm
([msg=50305]see Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions![/msg])

Hey, so this is my first time posting here, but I assume this is the correct place.

I'm upgrading my desktop(an HP, REALLY basic) and I'm trying to decide what to do. I know I'm getting this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131668. My biggest decision is whether to get a new PS and a geforce gtx460(my current power supply isnt enough,) or to upgrade my PS and get an AMD quad core. I've already got 4G of ram so I'm not worried about that for now.

What do you all think:
PS and GTX460
or
PS and Quad core?
racman92
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions!

Post by fabianhjr on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:07 pm
([msg=50306]see Re: Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions![/msg])

Qhy do you want to upgrade? Games?
If so go GPU. :D
Donate bitcoins to me! [1DhRP3hHgmSLQdRTZyT8VPTmzAj7Z2rsGA]
Dunno what bitcoins are? BitcoinMe
fabianhjr
Poster
Poster

Post by racman92 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:15 pm
([msg=50307]see Re: Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions![/msg])

Yep games mainly! I'm also getting ready to start going to school for cyber security, and i would like a good powerful machine so that i can multi task without trouble.
racman92
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:29 pm
([msg=50308]see Re: Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions![/msg])

racman92 wrote:Yep games mainly! I'm also getting ready to start going to school for cyber security, and i would like a good powerful machine so that i can multi task without trouble.

Most tasks relating to "cyber security" won't require tons of power, on the contrary, they require comparatively little when placed beside things like games. That being said, power will never hurt either.

But I second the opinion backing the GPU if your main purpose in upgrading is gaming.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Monica on Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:28 pm
([msg=50319]see Re: Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions![/msg])

racman92 wrote:Hey, so this is my first time posting here, but I assume this is the correct place.

I'm upgrading my desktop(an HP, REALLY basic) and I'm trying to decide what to do. I know I'm getting this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131668. My biggest decision is whether to get a new PS and a geforce gtx460(my current power supply isnt enough,) or to upgrade my PS and get an AMD quad core. I've already got 4G of ram so I'm not worried about that for now.

What do you all think:
PS and GTX460
or
PS and Quad core?

Bad, bad, and yes, bad. This makes you upset. My specs would make you extremely upset if I posted.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:30 am
([msg=50324]see Re: Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions![/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:But I second the opinion backing the GPU if your main purpose in upgrading is gaming.

Thirded (?) :)

A quad core will be useful if you were heavy into video editing/converting files. Just gaming would definitely benefit with a better graphics card.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by neuromanta on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:59 am
([msg=50325]see Re: Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions![/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:
insomaniacal wrote:But I second the opinion backing the GPU if your main purpose in upgrading is gaming.

Thirded (?) :)

A quad core will be useful if you were heavy into video editing/converting files. Just gaming would definitely benefit with a better graphics card.

Also, if you have a task which requires much computing power, you can use your GPU for it, if you learn GPGPU programming (Cuda for example). So go for the better GPU.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by racman92 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:38 pm
([msg=50360]see Re: Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions![/msg])

Monica wrote:
racman92 wrote:Bad, bad, and yes, bad. This makes you upset. My specs would make you extremely upset if I posted.

Yes, I'm sure they would :( But I'm a broke college student trying to do the best I can with the budget I have. Eventually I'll really build myself something nice, but this is it for now.

I'm definitely going for the GPU... anyone think there's a better one in the $150-$190 range?
racman92
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:08 am
([msg=50365]see Re: Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions![/msg])

FYI, craigslist that shit. You migh be able to find a nearly new card for much cheaper if you check there first.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:42 pm
([msg=50378]see Re: Upgrading my desktop, need some opinions![/msg])

Just a suggestion, if you need parts such as power supplies/monitors (Generic stuff that doesn't really matter), try your school, they almost definitely have a backlog of stuff they're going to basically throw away. Offer some small compensation, and most of the time, they'll just tell you to take it.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Hardware