laptops

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Re: laptops

Post by Vulpine on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:43 pm
([msg=59198]see Re: laptops[/msg])

I'm inclined to second fashizzlepop's opinion on Alienware. Dell's product quality seems to have degraded in recent years (my old Inspiron 1525 is still awesome, though), and everything that they pick up takes a bit of a nosedive. We use the KBOX appliance at work for all of our systems management and deployment. It was awesome when Kace owned it, but started to suck pretty bad after Dell acquired them and changed up the roadmap.

I'd go for a Lenovo laptop, if you can afford the higher price tag.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:44 am
([msg=59216]see Re: laptops[/msg])

Vulpine wrote:I'd go for a Lenovo laptop, if you can afford the higher price tag.

Again, Lenovo charges more for the name.

HP has ALWAYS worked for me and has always been reasonable in price (especially if you go through Costco). ;)
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Endg4m3 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:45 pm
([msg=59256]see Re: laptops[/msg])

Thank you for the advice.
Endg4m3
New User
New User

Post by rajival on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 am
([msg=60876]see Re: laptops[/msg])

Go for an HP with at least i3 or an i7 if you're not budget conscious. It's definitely a good catch and I didn't have any bad experience with HP.
rajival
New User
New User

Post by Endg4m3 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:28 pm
([msg=60916]see Re: laptops[/msg])

I went for the cheapest model of alienware laptop. It was only about 1000$ and it works really well. I like to play games and multitask so it works for my purposes. I got an Intel i5 processor (quad-core) 8gbs DDR3 ram, a really fast 1gb graphics card and a 500gb hard drive. I run all the newest games in full hd so I'm happy.
Endg4m3
New User
New User

Post by Sente Prime on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:30 pm
([msg=61551]see Re: laptops[/msg])

Endg4m3 wrote:I went for the cheapest model of alienware laptop. It was only about 1000$ and it works really well. I like to play games and multitask so it works for my purposes. I got an Intel i5 processor (quad-core) 8gbs DDR3 ram, a really fast 1gb graphics card and a 500gb hard drive. I run all the newest games in full hd so I'm happy.

I got to see an Alienware M17X and a ASUS G74SX-XT1 side by side, and I was much more impressed by the ASUS. The Alienware wins for style points with the sweet lines and LEDs, but the ASUS is the better machine. The rear right side on the bottom of the Alienware was very hot, I assume it was where the CPU is located on the machine, but it was extremely hot. The ASUS G series is famous for it's cooling scheme, and it stands out when compared to that particular Alienware laptop.

I am a huge fan of ASUS right now. My monitors are ASUS, my TF-101 is ASUS, and my next laptop will be ASUS (G74SX-A1)

My wife's next laptop will probably be an ASUS Ultrabook
Sente Prime
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Hardware