laptops

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Re: laptops

Post by itsjake0852 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:41 pm
([msg=48070]see Re: laptops[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:I only have 2 GB of RAM, and although I don't do heavy photo/video editing, I've done some for school/friends. It's not blazingly fast, but neither is it at a standstill pace. 4GB should be more than enough, and 6 will definetly be more than adequate. I'd say you can safely pocket the $100 for the other 2 and take your girlfriend out on a nice date or something.

....tuche'
itsjake0852
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by tremor77 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:13 pm
([msg=48075]see Re: laptops[/msg])

just don't buy E-Machines.

When I look for anything, along the line of reviews I generally turn to CNET. I think their advice is pretty reliable for making purchases. That said.. link to: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-laptops/

Of course.. this assumes you are a rich-ass-mofo.. in which case if you are not.. link: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-budget-laptops/

For the monetarily disadvantaged. Between what 3 friends have (as I myself have no laptop) A Toshiba, Sony Vaio, and a Dell... I prefer the Toshiba.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:38 am
([msg=48122]see Re: laptops[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:Between what 3 friends have (as I myself have no laptop) A Toshiba, Sony Vaio, and a Dell... I prefer the Toshiba.

I've used all of those significantly. Toshiba is number 1 in that list, however I would throw HP in as the top. Very reliable (for me) and they look nice.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by itsjake0852 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:11 am
([msg=48130]see Re: laptops[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:
tremor77 wrote:Between what 3 friends have (as I myself have no laptop) A Toshiba, Sony Vaio, and a Dell... I prefer the Toshiba.

I've used all of those significantly. Toshiba is number 1 in that list, however I would throw HP in as the top. Very reliable (for me) and they look nice.

yes easily agreed
itsjake0852
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:08 pm
([msg=48150]see Re: laptops[/msg])

People are bound to disagree with me here, but I have and had, and probably will have for awhile, a Gateway. It was a fairly mid-range laptop when purchased, and is still going strong. It's been tossed about, travelled to several countries, and been put to use for countless tasks. That being said, I know statistics are against me, but if you don't plan on voiding your warranty, you can potentially get a replacement if something were to go wrong. Paying extra for brand-name, typically doesn't help you much.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by itsjake0852 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:18 pm
([msg=48177]see Re: laptops[/msg])

id agree with you insomaniacal. i could see why you feel that. then again personal preference is a factor at times but still.
itsjake0852
New User
New User

Post by dyingjedi on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:38 am
([msg=48779]see Re: laptops[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:People are bound to disagree with me here, but I have and had, and probably will have for awhile, a Gateway. It was a fairly mid-range laptop when purchased, and is still going strong. It's been tossed about, travelled to several countries, and been put to use for countless tasks. That being said, I know statistics are against me, but if you don't plan on voiding your warranty, you can potentially get a replacement if something were to go wrong. Paying extra for brand-name, typically doesn't help you much.

I ordered from Amazon 8GB
Worked out of the box with GATEWAY FX P-7805u works prefectly but somehow, in windows 7 system rating Indexing i went from 5.9 overall to a 5.8. & in memory category is the change it went form a 5.9 to a 5.8 why would this happen please email me @. So anyhow love the 8GB in my system now. Google chrome 130+tabs & 133 programs running Awesome! Disable W7 VM the pagefile. GL =)

I have now also upgraded my processor to the X9100 whoa this thing cooks now running 3.06GHZ gaming and basic usage goes so fast. My windows 7 score

here is a screen shot

LOVE luv LOVE the new processor in my laptop! make me love my system again!

Dyingjedi
DaJedi
- = DyingJedi = -
http://goo.gl/vl70 Must watch Video of "Space Combat SWTOR" found at swtor.com
dyingjedi
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:30 am
([msg=48799]see Re: laptops[/msg])

We should play "Star Wars" with colored condoms, because we both, obviously, have boners right now.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Endg4m3 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:01 pm
([msg=59190]see Re: laptops[/msg])

Does anyone have an Alienware laptop? I was thinking about buying a M11x http://www.alienware.com/Landings/m11x.aspx . Is that a good idea?
Endg4m3
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:13 pm
([msg=59194]see Re: laptops[/msg])

When you buy Alienware you pay for the name.

I just bought an HP from costco. It's beautiful, has an i7, 8gb DDR, and 650gb hdd. 17" screen.

$874

Check it out.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware