Netbook hacking

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Netbook hacking

Post by NoSpoon on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:04 am
([msg=40529]see Netbook hacking[/msg])

hey everyone, this is my first post, although i have been lurking here for a while.

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on netbooks for hacking. do they have enough processing power? what is the best brand? etc, any opinion would be helpful, at the end of the summer i'm probably going to be getting a cheap laptop for notes in classes at college that's smaller than the large laptop i have now, and i don't know too much about netbooks. wondering if a netbook will cut it for note taking or if i should just spend teh extra few hundred and get a lower end laptop.

any opinions?
NoSpoon
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Netbook hacking

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:10 am
([msg=40530]see Re: Netbook hacking[/msg])

Check out Eee PCs. They are pretty powerful (enough for most hacking, you aren't going to run super powerful programs on it), they are light, they are reasonably priced and you can run Linux or windows on it. I suggest Linux of course.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by cilpolir on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:21 pm
([msg=40541]see Re: Netbook hacking[/msg])

what kind of hacking?
for example:If you're into wardriving(-walking,-sitting,-etc.),keep in mind that you need to look for a wireless card that can inject packages.
cilpolir
Poster
Poster

Post by msbachman on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:34 pm
([msg=40543]see Re: Netbook hacking[/msg])

My sister bought a laptop on sale from walmart that competed in price with most netbooks. Just under $200.

Honestly, there's little that you can't do with a laptop/netbook that you can do with a desktop. I stay away from them personally for the following reasons:
a) less serviceable
b) can't custom-build them (I can't at least)
c) no need for mobility

If you're like me and dirt poor, I'd just as well buy the cheapest thing you can find. Make sure if you put linux on it maybe dd an image of whatever came on the laptop for safe-keeping. A lot of the cost of laptops/netbooks must come from licensing Windows (I think), so even if you prefer Linux there's no sense in throwing away something that you payed for.

Protip: look into imaging the os that comes on the laptop and adding it as a virtual machine under Virtualbox (or something analogous) under Linux!
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Hardware