Desktop Computer help.

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Desktop Computer help.

Post by nelylcona on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:05 pm
([msg=40053]see Desktop Computer help.[/msg])

Normally i would post this on CPU forum. But i thought i would try out my new favorite website.
So the problem,
I built a computer probably 3 years ago. (DFI Mother Board, Thermal Power Supply, 4 512 western memory, 300 western hard drive)
It sat enclosed in my garage for a 10 months while i was away.
The first attempt to run the computer was trouble, all plugged in i turned the power switch on, the motherboard lights turned on, but the POWER switch on the motherboard was useless. I then unplugged and cleaned reconnected everything. Now the computer turns ON all fans turn on, It seems about to run. But the monitors wouldn't turn on..... Also my fan control works, but non of my drives work, NO CD, NO Floppy (yes i have a floppy)

Any Advice???
My possible thoughts are, hard drive is dead.
nelylcona
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Desktop Computer help.

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:33 pm
([msg=40058]see Re: Desktop Computer help.[/msg])

Does it beep? When and how many times? When video doesn't work I believe you should hear an extra beep. Also, no video wouldn't have anything to do with the HD. Try a different monitor? Also, if you have access, try a different video card.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by msbachman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:51 pm
([msg=40061]see Re: Desktop Computer help.[/msg])

Also, did you take OUT the motherboard to clean it? I had a similar problem along those lines due to the motherboard being grounded in the case.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neuromanta on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:31 am
([msg=40357]see Re: Desktop Computer help.[/msg])

Some motherboards need extra power from the power supply. There is a 4 (or 6 or 8) pin connector on the motherboard, which you need to connect to the correct plug on the power supply. This is used to power the video card. If you haven't plugged it in, the motherboard still works, but the video card doesn't.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Return to Hardware