Cluster computing question

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Cluster computing question

Post by overburn404 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:14 pm
([msg=39461]see Cluster computing question[/msg])

Hello,

I'm thinking of setting up a cluster of old computers i've got laying around and received as charity from friends (as in ... when they have the latest expensive stuff , what use do they have for a PIII@500mhz with 256 mb ram and a 20gb hdd).
My understanding of cluster computing is still extremely limited, so, can anyone give me a hint - is it any use clustering some old computers with different hardware configurations together?

Thanks.
overburn404
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Cluster computing question

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:39 pm
([msg=39468]see Re: Cluster computing question[/msg])

You should google up on clusters (and check out the Beowulf project) to see what you can use it for and if it is worth your while. You would need a switch or two to connect all ofthem together. I don't think it matters If he all have different configurations.

I you do take this on, I would love to hear about you results.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Re: Cluster computing question

Post by overburn404 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:54 pm
([msg=39501]see Re: Cluster computing question[/msg])

well, as a network infrastructure , i was thinking more along the lines of linking the computers along the lines of:

Switch
Switch Igor
Switch

Switch
Switch Igor Master
Switch

Switch
Switch Igor
Switch

Switch
Switch Igor
Switch

Switch
Switch Igor Master God
Switch

Switch
Switch Igor
Switch

Switch
Switch Igor
Switch

Switch
Switch Igor Master
Switch

Switch
Switch Igor
Switch

As in, the most mainstream motherboards I could find have a total of 4 possible ethernet ports (multiport cards are too expensive). So that means 3 slave nodes per master nodes. However I would have to see how feasible this configuration is , as i anticipate a huge speed loss.
The designations being:

Switch - P3 @ 500mhz , ~256MB RAM
Igor - P3 @ 1200mhz , ~ 512 MB RAM
Master - some Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
God - I haven't figured that out yet, but server hardware
The configurations are more like vague guidelines, but that's the main idea. And about the switch-igor-master-got thing, i tried to find a funny ranking system to keep me going (Igor, pull ze switch; Yes master!;).

As far as if it's worth my while, well, it probably is. And if it itsn't , I can always use the rest of the boxes to automate my house and set-up a kickass security system.
overburn404
New User
New User

Return to Hardware