What AMD MOBO and Proc combo can you suggest?

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

What AMD MOBO and Proc combo can you suggest?

Post by Roger PA on Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:21 am
([msg=31971]see What AMD MOBO and Proc combo can you suggest?[/msg])

Im on a budget build since this is my first. Please suggest a reliable AMD Processor and MOBO, around 180USD total, as much as possible the ones you have tried already. My primary use is for learning to program and experiment around with.

Thanks.
Roger PA
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What AMD MOBO and Proc combo can you suggest?

Post by thedotmaster on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:32 am
([msg=32127]see Re: What AMD MOBO and Proc combo can you suggest?[/msg])

If I were you, I'd do what I'm doing: building a low spec, low energy PC for backups/bittorrent etc.
I'm using a Via PC-1 low power motherboard (uses less energy than a lightbulb!) which set me back around £40.
http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=207

They're a FlexATX form factor - the smallest size, I believe. I panicked at first when I found FlexATX cases incredibly hard to come across, but it's okay, FlexATX motherboards also fit inside MicroATX cases.

The board comes with a processor too, by the way, which makes it very, very cheap. Don't expect to be playing crysis on it though, I plan to install text-only FreeBSD on mine (note: it's not running yet as I haven't got the cash for a power supply or hard-drive), though you might get away with XP or Ubuntu 9.04 and downwards. I'm really not sure though.

Have fun anyway, it's my first time building a PC too.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by Goatboy on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:44 am
([msg=32128]see Re: What AMD MOBO and Proc combo can you suggest?[/msg])

The good thing about programming is that you don't need a high-end system. Seriously, my home server is just a re-purposed desktop computer from 2000. It runs Apache as it's main service, but I made it a full LAMP and it works just fine. I also do most of my coding on it when I'm at the house and don't want to get the laptop out.

Bottom line, save yourself some money and find a junker on Craigslist. You'll have the added bonus of learning how to repair it ;)
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Roger PA on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:21 am
([msg=32351]see Re: What AMD MOBO and Proc combo can you suggest?[/msg])

I'd have to thank you guys, I found 3 old pcs (Intel P4) and 2 LCD flat screens (17") for 175USD ^_^
Roger PA
New User
New User

Return to Hardware