Trying to build a Linux Box from Scratch, I need Help.

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Trying to build a Linux Box from Scratch, I need Help.

Post by Roger PA on Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:16 am
([msg=30749]see Trying to build a Linux Box from Scratch, I need Help.[/msg])

Hi!

I am trying to build my first Linux Box, one that I can use to learn basic programming and web design and still use it for advanced programming, and enjoy internet (streaming, reading ebooks, basic office work) and watching dvds too. Low Budget (around 400-500USD), but can be expanded in the long-run. Building it is a learning experience for me that is why I do not want to spend too much as I want to learn different computing builds such as servers etc. It is quite hard to self learn and self fund.

So far I have only read Mr. Raymond's HOWTO on Linux Box and 2 other websites.
I have only chosen my Processor and Motherboard combo which is the
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135074&cm_re=AM2_Motherboard-_-13-135-074-_-Product

and Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Do I have to change the Mother Board Since the FSB is only 1000Mhz and will only slow down the processor which has 2000Mhz of Hypertransport speed? Sorry for such a long post but I'd like to keep this thread constantly edited for more arising questions I might have for you guys and gals. I'd like to thank you in advance.
Roger PA
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Trying to build a Linux Box from Scratch, I need Help.

Post by Goatboy on Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:44 pm
([msg=30770]see Re: Trying to build a Linux Box from Scratch, I need Help.[/msg])

On of the many beautiful things about Linux is that it can be made to run on just about any hardware, even embedded devices such as cellphones, PDAs, and digital watches. That said, you do not need a very expensive machine to run Linux on. My server is running on an old desktop PC with 256 MB of RAM, and it works just fine.

Now, if you are doing things like video editing which require large amounts of RAM and a nicer graphics card, then you are obviously going to want to get those pieces of hardware. That's where it gets expensive. For your average user, however, you can stick Linux on just about any old box. Since you mainly want this for programming, you will not need a very fast machine.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Roger PA on Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:04 pm
([msg=30773]see Re: Trying to build a Linux Box from Scratch, I need Help.[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:On of the many beautiful things about Linux is that it can be made to run on just about any hardware, even embedded devices such as cellphones, PDAs, and digital watches. That said, you do not need a very expensive machine to run Linux on. My server is running on an old desktop PC with 256 MB of RAM, and it works just fine.

Now, if you are doing things like video editing which require large amounts of RAM and a nicer graphics card, then you are obviously going to want to get those pieces of hardware. That's where it gets expensive. For your average user, however, you can stick Linux on just about any old box. Since you mainly want this for programming, you will not need a very fast machine.

Would Fry's have some old parts I could use? Also what about the motherboard and the processor that I had in the link? Should I change the motherboard because the front bus is 1000mhz compared to the Hypertransport of the processor which is 2000mhz?

Also I would not mind using the specs you mentioned, I just do not know where I can find those parts.
Roger PA
New User
New User

Post by FlyingWatermelon on Wed May 19, 2010 10:53 pm
([msg=38818]see Re: Trying to build a Linux Box from Scratch, I need Help.[/msg])

I want to build the same type of computer you are building. Something cheap that I will put linux on to learn about it.
FlyingWatermelon
New User
New User

Post by Vulpine on Wed May 19, 2010 11:00 pm
([msg=38820]see Re: Trying to build a Linux Box from Scratch, I need Help.[/msg])

FlyingWatermelon wrote:I want to build the same type of computer you are building. Something cheap that I will put linux on to learn about it.

If you just want to learn about Linux, it's much easier (and cheaper) to simply run your flavor of choice in a virtual environment.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Post by FlyingWatermelon on Wed May 19, 2010 11:29 pm
([msg=38822]see Re: Trying to build a Linux Box from Scratch, I need Help.[/msg])

Vulpine wrote:
FlyingWatermelon wrote:I want to build the same type of computer you are building. Something cheap that I will put linux on to learn about it.

If you just want to learn about Linux, it's much easier (and cheaper) to simply run your flavor of choice in a virtual environment.

Yeah, but I also want the whole experience of building a computer. I thought about dual booting. I would mainly use it for learning programming, linux, html, etc. I basically want to build the same type of computer he wants.
FlyingWatermelon
New User
New User

Post by neuromanta on Thu May 20, 2010 3:29 am
([msg=38827]see Re: Trying to build a Linux Box from Scratch, I need Help.[/msg])

Roger PA wrote:
Goatboy wrote:On of the many beautiful things about Linux is that it can be made to run on just about any hardware, even embedded devices such as cellphones, PDAs, and digital watches. That said, you do not need a very expensive machine to run Linux on. My server is running on an old desktop PC with 256 MB of RAM, and it works just fine.

Would Fry's have some old parts I could use? Also what about the motherboard and the processor that I had in the link? Should I change the motherboard because the front bus is 1000mhz compared to the Hypertransport of the processor which is 2000mhz?

Also I would not mind using the specs you mentioned, I just do not know where I can find those parts.

You don't have to bother with the FSB if you don't want, they will be compatible. Btw, the Hypertransport speed of the CPU is not it's FSB.
All in all I agree with Goatboy. If you want it for general programming and learning, you don't have to buy expensive hardware. AMD stuff (CPU, AMD chipset board and Radeon cards) is cheaper, but Intel and nVidia is more stable and compatible with open standards. I'd buy an intel cpu, nForce chipset board and nVidia card, if I were you, but it's just an opinion.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Return to Hardware