help out a noob

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

help out a noob

Post by bagpyper on Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:40 pm
([msg=25358]see help out a noob[/msg])

So i just bought a dell inspiron 15. Due to budget constarints thats all i can afford right now. But in a little while i should have some more money to upgrade it. I was wondering if someone with more expeirnce with hardwar could tell me what kind of ram i should get to upgraded it, i currently have only 2 gb. and what kind of processor i should upgrade too. THanks in advance for any help
bagpyper
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: help out a noob

Post by mischief on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:03 pm
([msg=25359]see Re: help out a noob[/msg])

you shouldn't worry about RAM capacity unless you tend to use a lot of memory. perhaps what you should focus on is faster bus speeds so that a performance increase is more noticeable.

i suggest reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_bus and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus for more info.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:07 pm
([msg=25361]see Re: help out a noob[/msg])

2 GB RAM should be fine. Like Mischief said, pay attention to BUS speeds, they'll actually give you a noticeable difference in speed.

I currently have 2GB of RAM on my laptop, and have never had any memory issues, even with relatively new games like Call of Duty 4.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by theguyofdoom on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:29 pm
([msg=32055]see Re: help out a noob[/msg])

An inspiron 15 is a laptop right? Laptops and CPU upgrading dont mix too well too often....
theguyofdoom
New User
New User

Return to Hardware