Help: raid 0 failure/harddrive/unbuntu

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Help: raid 0 failure/harddrive/unbuntu

Post by swalden on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:54 am
([msg=25341]see Help: raid 0 failure/harddrive/unbuntu[/msg])

Hey,

I've ran into a problem with my computer lately and I do not know how to fix it. I was wondering if someone could help me, Heres my problem:

System Specs: Processor: Q6600 @ 2.6 ghz
Processor cooler: Zalman 9700
Case: Gigabyte 3d aurora 570
GFX: Sparkle Cablire 8800 GTX OC (switched out sparkles cooler to Thermaltake DuOrb VGA Cooler)
Network card: Killer NIC
Motherboard: GA-P35-DS3P
Power: Corsair HX-620 620w Modular PSU
Ram: OCZ PC2-6400 Reaper HPC 4Gb
Speakers: Logitech x-530
Keyboard: G15
Mouse; G9
Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty

My harddrive/partition setup: 3 samsung Hd321Kj which are 320 Gbs each, 7200 rpm ect. the first one is formated as C:/ it holds the operating system and video and music partitions, It is not in a Raid Config. The other two harddrives are in a RAID 0 config and held two partitions, program files and Os (partition for hold operating system that i never got around to deleting.)

Heres my problem:

Anyways the other day I installed ubuntu into C:/ on the same partition as vista, it booted up fine, all was working well. But then I booted up windows Vista and my raid 0 config had disapeared, with the program files and old operatying system partitions gone, I then rebooted and had a look at the post boot, It said that the Raid config failed to boot, I then went into the Raid configuration and deleted the raid 0 config, and recreated a new one using the same harddisks. Then going into vista I reformated the config, with a 300 gb partition called programs, installed a couple of programs, then after rebooting it was still there, but this morning I booted it and it disapeared and failed to boot, and now after recreating the raid config, I can no longer boot into Ubuntu, It seems I have deleted it some how?

For now I don't want to worry about getting ubuntu going again just getting my two harddrives working, preferably in the raid config, but I am yet to try without.

Help Appreciated,

Swalden
swalden
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Help: raid 0 failure/harddrive/unbuntu

Post by r-ID on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:39 am
([msg=25345]see Re: Help: raid 0 failure/harddrive/unbuntu[/msg])

You can't have two operating systems on the same partition (except emulation).
If you want to have linux and windows on the same mashine, you should install windows first and linux later (on different partitions/drives). It is better to keep bootable partitions as primary partitions.

so:

1) install windows.
2) install linux on different partition
r-ID
Poster
Poster

Post by swalden on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:22 am
([msg=25418]see Re: Help: raid 0 failure/harddrive/unbuntu[/msg])

Linux was installed on a different partition, but that wouldn;t explain the raid 0 failure anyways.
swalden
New User
New User

Post by The Riviera Kid on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:23 am
([msg=25689]see Re: Help: raid 0 failure/harddrive/unbuntu[/msg])

I had a similar problem not too long ago (and since, have swore never to use raid 0 again) - it's not bad it's just hard to recover from.
I did find a solution which was something to do with recovering the master file table from virtually emulating a raid configuration (<- google that if you want to do it - can't remember the link) then recreating the raid and copying the MFT back in. But i gave up and saved the raid config using software which can convert it to a huge image - i just picked through that using a text editor to find all my vital coding files.
What you have may not be so bad, that it's lost it's config like what happened to me though, because mine failed after a power cut, sounds like yours might just be being a little pissy so i wouldn't go to wiping it straight away and starting again because it sounds like it might be recoverable.
"You can't even find a typecast error!"
The Riviera Kid
New User
New User

Return to Hardware