Barcode scanner

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Barcode scanner

Post by isaidno on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:31 am
([msg=22199]see Barcode scanner[/msg])

Hello there,
I happen to have found a bar-code scanner around the house. It was used in a drugstore my father used to work in and I want to know how to make it work.

According to him, it's not broken so as for now I will believe that part.
The information I can provide is the following:

-It's a hand held scanner.
-Its from UBI ScanPlus SP [United Barcode Industries]
-It has no apparent buttons at all.
-The cable ends up in a rj45 connector [orange,blue,red,green,purple,white,yellow,grey].
-It's model#: 0-320317-00-19 from 1995

I guess that's pretty much all the information I've got from my research. I found some old user manual on-line that doesn't seem to include this model. I tried connecting it to the Ethernet input of my laptop with no response from either side. I was expecting at least something telling me that it was receiving power.

Then I realized it might need and external power supply and used MGE ups systems thing that has two rj45 connectors labeled 'in' and 'out' so I connected the reader on one side and a spare Ethernet cable from the 'out' to my laptop with still no response.

Any help?
isaidno
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Barcode scanner

Post by Monica on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:24 pm
([msg=22281]see Re: Barcode scanner[/msg])

Contact the manufacturer.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by isaidno on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:34 pm
([msg=22287]see Re: Barcode scanner[/msg])

It's the first thing I did, but since this type of things usually take a long period of time, that is if they even reply to the email.
I thought I'd give it a go in the forum, it was likely that someone else had some similar apparatus and could share the knowledge with me.

Anyway thanks Monica
isaidno
New User
New User

Post by sfsdfsdfe on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:38 pm
([msg=74802]see Re: Barcode scanner[/msg])

I know this is an old thread. But only here can I find people who have experience of using barcode. I want to ask you professional guys about barcode generator and reader. Recently, I want to create barcode in C# ASP.NET or create barcode in C# for Windows Forms. I find this barcode solution site through google. I also want to use a barcode reader. Can you good guys give me some suggestions? How's the barcode generator? I am quite new to this field. Thank you for any of your response in advance.
sfsdfsdfe
New User
New User

Post by 3asyMac on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:19 pm
([msg=75329]see Re: Barcode scanner[/msg])

isaidno wrote:Hello there,<br>I happen to have found a bar-code scanner around the house. It was used in a drugstore my father used to work in and I want to know how to make it work. <br><br>According to him, it's not broken so as for now I will believe that part.<br>The information I can provide is the following:<br><br>-It's a hand held scanner.<br>-Its from UBI ScanPlus SP [United Barcode Industries]<br>-It has no apparent buttons at all.<br>-The cable ends up in a rj45 connector [orange,blue,red,green,purple,white,yellow,grey].<br>-It's model#: 0-320317-00-19 from 1995<br><br>I guess that's pretty much all the information I've got from my research. I found some old user manual on-line that doesn't seem to include this model. I tried connecting it to the Ethernet input of my laptop with no response from either side. I was expecting at least something telling me that it was receiving power.<br><br>Then I realized it might need and external power supply and used MGE ups systems thing that has two rj45 connectors labeled 'in' and 'out' so I connected the reader on one side and a spare Ethernet cable from the 'out' to my laptop with still no response.<br><br>Any help?

From the pictures I found it is either an infrared or a laser scanner. Both, if powered, should have some type of red light. Look into the scanning part of it and see if it is on. If not, then it is broken lol. If it is on you have an interface issue. Most likely there is software to take the scanned data and do something with it. After that I am stumped.

-- Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:30 pm --

sfsdfsdfe wrote:I know this is an old thread. But only here can I find people who have experience of using barcode. I want to ask you professional guys about barcode generator and reader. Recently, I want to create barcode in C# ASP.NET or create barcode in C# for Windows Forms. I find this barcode solution site through google. I also want to use a barcode reader. Can you good guys give me some suggestions? How's the barcode generator? I am quite new to this field. Thank you for any of your response in advance.

First, barcodes are a tad over done and old tech. I highly recommend looking into QR codes instead. There are tons of free apps for smart phones, ex. google goggles, that read QR codes and barcodes, and checks them against online data and gives results like product #, ads, and even links to websites. There are plenty of online generators that will build barcodes to read whatever you want.

Now as for doing it all yourself isn't too difficult unless you donlt know c/c++/c# or ASP.NET. Doing this from nothing would take the following steps:
1) Learn the appropriate scripting language(s)
2) Learn how to take in an image and make it decipherable.
3) Write the necessary code.

Then you should be able to take a picture of a barcode or QR code and then extract the data you would like from it.

Any questions?
3asyMac
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:22 am
([msg=75351]see Re: Barcode scanner[/msg])

Again, easymac, this was posted in 2009.

No need to answer 4 year old questions on the forums.

IBTL;
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by sordidarchetype on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:03 am
([msg=75354]see Re: Barcode scanner[/msg])

Ignoring the fact that this is an extremely old (and dead) thread that should probably be locked...
3easyMac, you gave some inaccurate advice here:

From the pictures I found it is either an infrared or a laser scanner. Both, if powered, should have some type of red light. Look into the scanning part of it and see if it is on. If not, then it is broken lol.

The original poster clearly did not have a firm understanding of the technology he was using. Although the device he described was using an 8P8C terminator on the end of its cable, it more than likely was NOT RJ45.

For clarification, since this point is very often confused, RJ45 does NOT define the type of physical connection (that is actually the 8P8C part). RJ45 technically describes the protocol for the voltage over the physical segment. To further clarify, 802.3 (which most people call Ethernet, but actually isn't true Ethernet) does NOT carry the same voltage on the same lines as RJ45. Furthermore, neither RJ45 nor 802.3 are likely to match the same voltages as this scanner's connection, since many devices like this tend to use their own proprietary specifications. That being the case, even if this device is fully functional and working the way it is supposed to, just plugging it into your computer's network jack is not enough to guarantee that the device will receive the appropriate voltage on the correct lines to power it on.

The key here is, if someone wants to hack a particular piece of technology, the first thing to be done is to learn and understand how that technology works.
sordidarchetype
New User
New User

Post by mariah on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:52 pm
([msg=76487]see Re: Barcode scanner[/msg])

you can try this .it tells you how to make it workbarcode scanner
mariah
New User
New User

Post by cindy313 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:46 am
([msg=76699]see Re: Barcode scanner[/msg])

I know a barcode scanner recommended by my friend, there are several kinds,you may check and find a solution
cindy313
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:49 am
([msg=76700]see Re: Barcode scanner[/msg])

cindy313 wrote:I know a barcode scanner recommended by my friend, there are several kinds,you may check and find a solution

Okay, so you just necrod an old thread to post a URL that was posted right above your comment.
smh
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Hardware