Need Computer

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Need Computer

Post by Charlieace on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:19 pm
([msg=20529]see Need Computer[/msg])

currently, all i can use to hack is a Dell Inspiron E1505 with Windows XP. it has held up well, but it is becoming to age and soon it will become obsolete. i am eyeing an Alienware 750i, which has 2TB of memory, an 8GB RAM, and countless other drooling features. but the problem is, i'm a twelve year old kid who's friggin broke. my friend and his computer savy dad built their own computer, and that racked up about 7 grand. i don't want to waste my money on something that is normal, and all i have is a total of about three hundred bucks. add to that, and my mom locked all withdrawals from my account, so i've been hacking at that for awhile. so, any suggestions? what should i do? and i need something with a crapload of processing power and a big hard drive (please don't suggest portable, i already have that in the back of my mind) because i am trying to program a huge MMO.

-cHarLiEaCe :twisted: :twisted:
GET ME OUT OF AMERICA! MOVE ME TO IRELAND! IT LOOKS COOL THERE!

"In a world where stupidity has become the normal, it is better to be strange."

The Internet is my classroom.

Silence is the enemy.
Charlieace
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Need Computer

Post by orwell84 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:04 pm
([msg=20537]see Re: Need Computer[/msg])

The computer you have is probably good enough. However, if you want a new one, here are a few suggestions:
1) Don't call the 2 TB part "memory"; it's hard drive space. RAM is memory (Random Access Memory). Just a little technicality...
2) Why do you "need" this computer that has a 2TB HDD and 8GB of RAM? You'll need that if you're running every application on the Adobe Suite, Maya, 3DS max, and Fallout 3 at the same time...along with storing 2,000 GB of information. A 500GB hard drive is plenty, unless you're doing a LOT of work (which, no offense, I doubt you're doing at 12 years of age). Even if you are doing a ton of work that needs a lot of space, a 750 GB is fine for that.
3) Building a computer doesn't have to cost 7 grand; in fact, it generally costs less than a store-bought computer. If you want to build your own (which I recommend), you can use Google to learn how and newegg.com to buy parts. The eggxpert chat from newegg is a good place to ask questions. This is probably the cheapest option.
4) Get a source of revenue. Seriously. Find some way to make money: mow the lawn, wash cars, babysit. If you really want this, barely anything should be considered beneath your dignity, and I mean that. That's how I made the money to buy my guitar, the Adobe production premium suite, and nearly everything else I own. It works. I know it's hard to get a job at 12, but look around for one.
5) Why do you need such a "crapload of processing power"? The type of hacking you're going to be doing for the next, oh, seven years won't require such amounts of processing power, unless you're a genius at this already. However, if you were, you wouldn't really be asking us about a computer.

Basically, cut corners where you can. I would suggest a computer with 300 - 500 GB of hard drive space, 2 - 4 GB of RAM, a decent graphics card, and at least a 2 GHz dual core processor. You really don't need 2TB of space. Believe me, unless you're saving a TON of stuff, and by a ton, I really mean "a ton". (get it? 2,000...oh, whatever)
Mens et manus.
orwell84
Poster
Poster

Post by Charlieace on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:54 pm
([msg=20819]see Re: Need Computer[/msg])

thanks, but a few comments.

i do need a crapload of processing power, i'm trying to design a huge mmo.
i'd love 2TB because i'd never have to clean out my hard drive again. its a constance annoyance with my laptop's 80GB, and i'd love to big farewell to defrags.
i want a job so bad, but i live in the middle of nowhere so it hard to get to town.
good comment on the "ton" thing, lol.

thanks for the help, i'm looking at www.tigerdirect.com and www.newegg.com now for good stuff.

Silence is the enemy.
Charlieace
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by eddyj on Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:56 pm
([msg=21206]see Re: Need Computer[/msg])

My uncle has just started a business selling computers, i have decided that with my new job as i am getting to 16 (already have the job, first one and it's £7/hour XD). I will get a new computer cos currently instead of wires it's using string. So i contacted my uncle and he's selling 1.5gb XFX graphics cards for £99... which got me sold, i think he sells 'em on ebay. what me to get you a link next time i see him or are you planning to buy a ready built computer?
eddyj
New User
New User

Post by fiftysixer on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:29 am
([msg=21274]see Re: Need Computer[/msg])

You don't really need a lot of computing power to hack...depends really on what you're doing, but for most cases you don't need much. I'm on a 1.5Ghz P4, 256MB RAM, 60GB HDD and doing alright (but I do have two epic servers for stuffs :p).

Depending on your location you might want to check out Craigslist.org, it's a great place to find cheap computer stuff and sometimes even jobs. Recently I got a P4 3Ghz CPU, 1GB PC2700 RAM, and a motherboard from there for $80, also traded an old PSU for a brand new ATX case on there, basically that's all I need (instant computer, just add drives!).

And then of course there's thrift stores (you can sometimes find awesome deals on computer stuff there), Ebay, etc.

As far as the MMO part goes...if you're short on cash you'll either need to get a job, work on an MMO from a slower computer, or put your MMO plans on hold for a while. Take your pick. And job doesn't need to be anything spectacular, my little brother got himself a computer from mowing lawns/raking leaves/shoveling snow/etc.

Most important of all - have fun!
Big fan of Image
fiftysixer
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by AtlasDark on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:03 pm
([msg=21316]see Re: Need Computer[/msg])

No offense also, but an MMO? That's a huge undertaking which requires either one person with the knowledge, dedication, skill, and expense of many, or a subdivided team to handle the intensive aspects. Also, you'll need a reliable host, probably dedicated serverspace (easily $450/mo, I believe), etc.

I agree with the others as well - you don't need to have an IBM Mainframe to break into someone's network (per se), since if you've patience, the most burdened G3 will even do the trick. Alienware is also a mass-marketing company - they project their products as the superior in the competition (naturally), yet their machines cost stupid amounts of money and some are actually subpar to what you can get if you look carefully (eg Craigslist, Freecycle, parts shops, etc). The secondhand store that I work at throws out computer parts (which was akin to desecration to me) and I negotiated with my manager to take in some of what they throw out.

Custom rigs can be substantially cheaper than prepackaged machines, though you'll still need to exercise caution and do the necessary research, but is quite rewarding. Of course, I advise listening to the more experienced members of this community, since I'm certainly no expert in the field.
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by Charlieace on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:46 pm
([msg=21704]see Re: Need Computer[/msg])

Who came up with the assumption i'm building the MMO by myself? i have about 20 friends helping me out.

Silence is the enemy.
Charlieace
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by aNewHobby4me on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:21 pm
([msg=21708]see Re: Need Computer[/msg])

Charlieace wrote:Who came up with the assumption i'm building the MMO by myself? i have about 20 friends helping me out.

Er, well....you did.

...i'm trying to design a huge mmo.

There's no 'I' in 'team'.
"To understand recursion you must first understand recursion."
aNewHobby4me
Poster
Poster

Post by AtlasDark on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:44 pm
([msg=21729]see Re: Need Computer[/msg])

That kind of information is better present in the beginning, Charlie. :P

In any case, I wish you the best in your endeavors - just remember that you are going to run into serverside crises if you lack dedicated hosting and decent servertowers if you plan to take the burden yourself; additionally, one doesn't necessarily need a high-end system - building on a fast machine means you can't test on legacy machines, limited the scope of your audience; if you work from a machine that doesn't have 4TB memory (bashing realism here, stay with me) you'll be able to optimize your project for users who can't or refuse to purchase a high-end machine. Try to find an ideal balance.

But... Er... I'm digressing from the point, though what I've stated previously loosely correlates with a machine that you plan to use to test the security measures of other systems. Keep it simple, extravagance will often just run you a greater electric bill. :P
AtlasDark
Poster
Poster

Post by orwell84 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:49 pm
([msg=21730]see Re: Need Computer[/msg])

Charlieace wrote:i'd never have to clean out my hard drive again

lies. you would eventually.
Mens et manus.
orwell84
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Hardware