Two internal hard drives

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Two internal hard drives

Post by godofcereal on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:55 am
([msg=18226]see Two internal hard drives[/msg])

Ok, does anyone know if I can hook up 2 internal hard drives with the same leads? I mean, one connects at the end, the other at the middle and the other end to the computer itself.
Thanks.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Two internal hard drives

Post by cen on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:09 am
([msg=18630]see Re: Two internal hard drives[/msg])

I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you're asking...

But if I'm understanding properly, you're asking if you can connect two hard drives using the same IDE cable?

If you are, then the answer is yes, just as you said, provided of course, that the IDE cable has two connections available (most do) - It sounds like yours does as well. Alternately, you can also connect a hard drive or a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM on the same cable. Some devices don't work well together though, even if they are the same type (two hard drives, two cd-rom's, etc..)

If running into problems, test them separately, and if they work, then double check your settings (maybe they're both set as master which won't work), try setting them up manually (as master and slave) instead of leaving them on cable select. Even after trying this, some devices STILL will not work together. Older burner's were a real pain about this, some would work, but the burner DEMANDED to be the master - I have MANY HDD's that refuse to work together, yet still work fine on their own.

It shouldn't matter at this point, but if you're using an older PC (and I MEAN OLD - mostly pre-pentium), IRQ/COM settings may also become relevant.
cen
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:19 am
([msg=18631]see Re: Two internal hard drives[/msg])

it depends on the connection type

if its ATA (also commonly refered to as a ribbon cable) then the answer is yes
Scuzzi (which is more commonly used in servers) i believe the answer is yes... although ive only worked on like two computers that used it...

as far as SATA goes, the answer is no (although that doesnt fit your description of your wire at all, its a narrow cable and ive NEVER seen one with 3 connectors)
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Post by cen on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:42 am
([msg=18632]see Re: Two internal hard drives[/msg])

I completely agree with you, and to help confirm...

Yes, SCSI will also work this way - They were designed to. Permitted, of course, that you are using a cable with multiple connectors on it... ;)
cen
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by godofcereal on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:28 pm
([msg=18740]see Re: Two internal hard drives[/msg])

Thanks guys for the help, I got it now.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Return to Hardware