Corsair Padlock

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Corsair Padlock

Post by White-Rabbit on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:55 pm
([msg=12378]see Corsair Padlock[/msg])

Ok, so after many complications with my last usb stick involving some bad encryption, read-only protect sh*t I got some major bad sector-ish. But the problem was I need to encrypt certain files on my stick, bank details etc. for obvious reasons. So i bought one of these bad boys -

Has a hardware lock on it so you need to enter the code to turn it on, although I wanted to know if anyone knew more about this stuff, I don't have a huge knowledge on hardware securities.

Does this seem relatively secure or is there any bypasses?
Should I encrypt my stuff anyway?

Full spec and homepage here - http://www.corsair.com/products/padlock.aspx
C++ is a loaded machine gun pointed at your feet with the safety off.
White-Rabbit
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Corsair Padlock

Post by myhexhax on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:45 pm
([msg=12483]see Re: Corsair Padlock[/msg])

http://www.everythingusb.com/corsair-flash-padlock-2gb-14479.html (linkto:
http://veerboot.tweakblogs.net/blog/561/corsair-padlock-hacking.html )

Sorry man :[

Luckily they're not horribly expensive, so it's not like a waste or anything, and you can always encrypt the contents using AxCrypt or TrueCrypt. I wish hardware manufacturers would be more responsible when making things like this. They're a bunch of noobs. I guess it will provide a slight initial deterrent for most people, but your secrets are just a quick Google away.. It looks like a fun little device, but, encrypt your data regardless and don't let yourself have a false sense of security.. Freaking noob companies don't know their stuff, I hate it. (There's a "security professional" from a vendor giving a presentation on "sequel(sic) injection" at my company's tech conference, and I'm not fixing their 'spelling mistake' because you need to know what you're talking about before you give advice to others or sell products like these) </end rant>

Sorry bout that.. lol.

tl;dr;
Encrypt your data regardless, using Truecrypt or AxCrypt. Keep it for fun, unless you feel like returning it and calling BS on the company with the links provided. I wish there were an effective replacement, but it would take reviewing many products to find one that isn't overly exploitable.

(woot 20 posts)
gniripsni ewa si rehte eht morf cisum siht
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Post by sniper15 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:52 pm
([msg=12484]see Re: Corsair Padlock[/msg])

yeah most of those flash drives that claim to be secure are not but if your still looking for one that does what it says it does here is one for you. i warn you however that because it does what it says it does it cost a little more than most would like but you get what you pay for. this thing is badass i have yet to have a problem with it and it does all the hard work for me.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/99f1/

-Sniper15
sniper15
New User
New User

Post by myhexhax on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:04 pm
([msg=12487]see Re: Corsair Padlock[/msg])

sniper15 wrote:yeah most of those flash drives that claim to be secure are not but if your still looking for one that does what it says it does here is one for you. i warn you however that because it does what it says it does it cost a little more than most would like but you get what you pay for. this thing is badass i have yet to have a problem with it and it does all the hard work for me.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/99f1/

-Sniper15

Haha, that's badass. I only wish that it were hardware level encryption and didn't rely on bundled software. But I think this would do the trick for most people. (although the reason for that complaint is due to cross-platform compatibility, but it says it supports linux and mac, so....... I guess that's null and void)
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Post by White-Rabbit on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:47 am
([msg=12501]see Re: Corsair Padlock[/msg])

I did suspect that it was a bit BS, but f it your average joe probably isn't goin to know how to open it.

That iron key looks really good, but it's only available in US and Canada?

I will keep looking in the mean time.
Cheers :)
C++ is a loaded machine gun pointed at your feet with the safety off.
White-Rabbit
New User
New User

Post by TheMindRapist on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:52 pm
([msg=13415]see Re: Corsair Padlock[/msg])

Ironkey is supposed to be very good.
And yes, always encrypt everything.
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by myhexhax on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:25 pm
([msg=13454]see Re: Corsair Padlock[/msg])

White-Rabbit wrote:I did suspect that it was a bit BS, but f it your average joe probably isn't goin to know how to open it.

That iron key looks really good, but it's only available in US and Canada?

I will keep looking in the mean time.
Cheers :)

It is probably make it that way due to import/export restrictions on hardware encryption devices, and possibly restrictions on the AES hardware patent license.

Ebay has some, and for fairly cheap too.
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Return to Hardware