AMD VS INTEL

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Re: AMD VS INTEL

Post by 12beav on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:49 pm
([msg=37859]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

so the basic consensus is?
12beav
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by DigitalChameleon on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:36 am
([msg=39484]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

My personal experience has been that you use what you want. I have had both AMD and Intel machines.

On a desktop side, it comes to how much you want to spend. Intels have the performance edge if you spend the big bucks. If you get down to desktop processors that are budget processors that perform well, I would go AMD. The minuscule difference in performance may only matter to someone trying to cure cancer in the next five minutes.

On a laptop Intel has the edge there. A laptop was designed to be portable and useable for a workday (6-8 hours.) My own netbook, ASUS EeePC 1000H, is one such device. It handles nearly anything I can throw at it, and stil gives my just shy of 6 hours of battery life. Now, I Must say AMD has made strides in this are with their recent chips. The NEO X2 Platform definitely is catching my eye.

So it is really all up to preference. For now, keep an eye on the news and when that killer x(number) core processor comes out, run and buy one and have fun. There are a ton of good articles online for building a computer for any budget, google it and see what you find.
DigitalChameleon
New User
New User

Post by Green_Bud on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:46 am
([msg=39674]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

Honestly i like both

they both have thier advantages, and faults...

AMD is cheap, reliable, and just as fast as intel but can sometimes easily overheat

Intel has some of the most powerful processors out there but can be a LIiiiitttllee pricey for me...

but thats just me
Green_Bud
New User
New User

Post by Mr_Grey on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:56 pm
([msg=40422]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

Far be it for me to argue. AMD.
:ugeek:
I await mortified remarks... :ugeek:
Mr_Grey
New User
New User

Post by OnlyHuman on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:02 pm
([msg=40424]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

Eh, no arguments on my end. Not that I have a preference really. In my eyes, a CPU is just an add-on to a good chipset. Now that's where the real argument is. What's the best chipset? But even then, it all comes down to the intentions of the final product. So, chipset x is good for application x, and chipset y, is good for application y. Though I do like the fact that Intel has some competition that can still compete even where Motorola failed. Monopolies are never cool.
OnlyHuman
Poster
Poster

Previous

Return to Hardware