AMD VS INTEL

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Re: AMD VS INTEL

Post by Sonic7145 on Sun May 25, 2008 2:02 pm
([msg=3204]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

This is somewhat unrelated, but is there any difference between Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel Dual-Core?
Sonic7145
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by romulous on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:02 am
([msg=4881]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

I have been building computers since the 80-286sx processor that ran at a whopping 15mhz. I now have a pocket calculator that has more speed, power, and memory. I have used about every processor you can imagine, and swapped quite a few around. In all that time, AMD had kicked all kinds of ass, IF you knew how to overclock and cool your system. Intel is not designed for overclocking at all ever. Amd designs great processors, but does not put as much money into R&D as Intel does. There is no way they can match the budget. They are simply not as fast on the uptake as Intel is except in their server division. Their servers are better on the whole than any comperable Intel system.
That said, Sun makes a hellafuck processor called the Spark. Their servers are the stuff of legend, and they design super computers for the likes of NSA's code crackers, and the DOD's DARPA. These things are truely scary in what they can do. They have a server that has 256 2.8ghz processors, 512gb ram, and enough HDD space to store every scrap or written literature since the dawn of man. And this is not even a custom system! Their high end systems run upwards of a million dollars a pop, and have up to a 256 bit processor. Just recently they started to get into making desktop systems, but I have yet to get to try one. :cry: Oh well, I will end up with one eventually.
My vote:
AMD, unless a SPARK is available.
romulous
New User
New User

Post by Londonium on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:42 pm
([msg=5706]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

Sonic7145 wrote:This is somewhat unrelated, but is there any difference between Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel Dual-Core?

Yes!
A Core 2 Duo is a type of processor that would fall under the more encompassing category of intel dual-core.
Londonium
New User
New User

Post by c4p_sl0ck on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:32 pm
([msg=5993]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

On my previous computer I had an AMD 3700+ which I was quite pleased with. But now I run Intel Core 2 Duo because I think Intel have had better performance than AMD lately.
c4p_sl0ck
New User
New User

Post by raphuss on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:52 am
([msg=6209]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

okay i'm having an AMD Duron processor (800 MHz) and it's running for almost 10 years and i'm really satisfied with it

i have also a laptop with dual core i don't use it a lot and i'm always stick to my desktop with the AMD.
i vote for:AMd.
raphuss
New User
New User

Post by hooraybeer on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:08 am
([msg=6533]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

For a new PC, Intel all the way. Best performance in about every category. AMD was good, before they bought ATI and fell behind with their CPU technology.
hooraybeer
New User
New User

Post by BuTTHeaD on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:28 am
([msg=9153]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

I choose Intel WAYYYYYYY over AMD.
Benchmarks were much higher for intel processors than AMD.
I'm all intel.
BuTTHeaD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by zx9 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:36 pm
([msg=10508]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

Asus is better according to me.
zx9
New User
New User

Post by VincentR91 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:51 am
([msg=11691]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

Never had an AMD processor.
I'll stuck with Intel.
VincentR91
New User
New User

Post by White-Rabbit on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:48 pm
([msg=12363]see Re: AMD VS INTEL[/msg])

I've been through both types and found both reliable and think that unless your pushing your computer to the limit you won't really be able to tell. Sure if your rendering music, movies, graphics, photoshop etc. then you probably want to go with Intel, same goes for gaming because on the hole intels have been shown to be faster, check the following benchmarks -

:ugeek:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

Now I always go with intel, I don't really know if I notice it's just nice to know you have that little bit of extra power.
Also if your reaction time less than a couple of milliseconds this extra processor speed could be the difference between life or death in counterstrike ... hmmmm :mrgreen: joking
C++ is a loaded machine gun pointed at your feet with the safety off.
White-Rabbit
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware