Computer randomly shuts off

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Computer randomly shuts off

Post by coldghost213 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:54 pm
([msg=8902]see Computer randomly shuts off[/msg])

Hey, I am wondering why my laptop shuts off at random times? I heard it was from overheating, but the fan beneath it is still working. Also before my computer crashes, the temperature of my computer was 54c (usually it's around 34c until I play a computer game). Is 54c hot enough to crash?

Also on a relevant post, it doesn't seem to crash when my power cord is not plugged in.

Edit: Hehe fixed, I find it funny that a little dust could cause harm to my computer O.O''
Last edited by coldghost213 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coldghost213
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Computer randomly shuts off

Post by QtDevl on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:03 pm
([msg=8904]see Re: Computer randomly shuts off[/msg])

Yes indeed it is from overheating.You must take care to leave the fan area free(for example by putting it on a flat surface).As for the power cord....When the battery gets charged it usually heats up a little due to the amount of electricity that passes in it,so this adds up to temperature of the computer being already high enough and cause it to shut down for safety reasons.It happened to me and it happened to some of my friends.One advice that i can give to you is to clean the area where the fan is(especially those tiny holes)and to keep your laptop on flat surfaces like tables.keeping it on your lap is a pretty bad idea.Sorry for the long post but i hope i cleared at least something to you :D
If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom...
QtDevl
New User
New User

Post by coldghost213 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:17 pm
([msg=8905]see Re: Computer randomly shuts off[/msg])

QtDevl wrote:Yes indeed it is from overheating.You must take care to leave the fan area free(for example by putting it on a flat surface).As for the power cord....When the battery gets charged it usually heats up a little due to the amount of electricity that passes in it,so this adds up to temperature of the computer being already high enough and cause it to shut down for safety reasons.It happened to me and it happened to some of my friends.One advice that i can give to you is to clean the area where the fan is(especially those tiny holes)and to keep your laptop on flat surfaces like tables.keeping it on your lap is a pretty bad idea.Sorry for the long post but i hope i cleared at least something to you :D

Lolz, nothings wrong with a long post; the more you type the more I learn. I'll try that and hope it works.

Thanks.
coldghost213
New User
New User

Post by Silv3r on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:31 am
([msg=12840]see Re: Computer randomly shuts off[/msg])

now off the topic of laptops, lets now go over to pc's. what would be the reason of one just automatically rebooting itself,this is really annoying. help
Silv3r
New User
New User

Post by Enigt on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:35 pm
([msg=13290]see Re: Computer randomly shuts off[/msg])

In my experience, a desktop randomly restarting itself is typically due to a power supply that can't handle the system it is a part of, or the power supply is beginning to fail.

9/10 you put a new power supply with a rating higher than the previous one and it will correct the rebooting problem.
Enigt
New User
New User

Post by Silv3r on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:15 am
([msg=13928]see Re: Computer randomly shuts off[/msg])

in my case its not the power supply, i some how short circuitd the original powersuply,then got a new 1 ..bt the problem stil exists ,.im startin to think it has something to do with malware and the deep operations of the cpu. formating doesnt help either
Silv3r
New User
New User

Post by Andomis on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:20 pm
([msg=14047]see Re: Computer randomly shuts off[/msg])

Bit of background: I worked at help desk to fix malware, hardware (RMA) and OS issues.

I would suggest the following.

Download GWScan or Gateway scan and put the iso on a CD.
-The scan tests your harddrive for physically bad sectors and will cover them with code telling the HDD to ignore/dont use those sectors.

Run the GWScan over and over until it says it either cannot fix errors, which means the drive is going bad or is bad already, or says it has found no errors.

Get your Windows CD.
-Boot the CD, select R (Repair) and select the proper Windows installation (normally just 1+enter). Once logged in to a command prompt style area, type "chkdsk /r" (minus the quotes) -it might ask you for your Administrator password.

This will replace any of the corrupted or missing files that were previously corrupt, or lost from the GWscan.

Try booting. If it blue screens or reboots again, try one last windows repair otherwise if the problem persists then it is not your HDD nor software, and probably a systemboard/power supply issue.

If you download non GUI ultimate boot, it has a stress test for both systemboards and RAM, so that you can try to narrow out more hardware issues. Reseat the RAM if the RAM fails. I normally run it through so that results end up 2 passes, 0 fails.

PM me with results.

Best of luck,
Andomis
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Hardware