Raspberry Pi

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Raspberry Pi

Post by tripbeam on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:31 pm
([msg=82953]see Raspberry Pi[/msg])

Well this may be old news to some of you but it's new to me! I'm getting a Raspberry Pi tomorrow and would just like to know what have you all used it for? i have some ideas already like turning it into a webserver and learn the CLI on it a bit more, even emulators and some programming on it. It's a nice little gadget and will be fun to play around with, as long as my Logitech K400 works :roll:
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:40 pm
([msg=82955]see Re: Raspberry Pi[/msg])

Cool, I have mine a few months now, still the best purchase I ever made in regards to computer tech. Got a home server, my own cloud with backups of everything, a 'free' media centre with everything I ever wanted to watch (XBMC!), ZNC (irc bouncer), a mobile development platform (vim) and remote SSH access. Keep that thing running a whole year and even then the cost is pretty low. Have fun, I know I still am with that small but useful little box of mine :) Oh and if you want to be really cool, create your own casing.
Free your mind / Think clearly
I use the sarcasm color for both sarcasm and irony
cyberdrain
Addict
Addict

Post by tripbeam on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:18 pm
([msg=82957]see Re: Raspberry Pi[/msg])

Yes it's a usefull little computer lol, i may use some of your ideas i been debating about an XBMC because i already have a ps3 and other things to play media :P and well i believe i would fail at my case lol.I'm not the most crafty guy, i would think it would be nice too turn it into a little mini laptop with its own case and everything but that's extra mula
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Post by pretentious on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:41 am
([msg=82963]see Re: Raspberry Pi[/msg])

I pretty much use it as a cheap multi purpose server.
It runs on a low voltage so you can have it on 24/7 to deal with anything that you might want at any time
with that said there aren't too many things I've needed it for but linux shell through ssh pays for itself
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cyberdrain on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:20 pm
([msg=82980]see Re: Raspberry Pi[/msg])

pretentious wrote:I pretty much use it as a cheap multi purpose server.
It runs on a low voltage so you can have it on 24/7

This basically; in any way, shape or form. Best part of it is that you can do whatever you feel like it and whatever you come up with, will be a good use. Just be careful not to spend too much on the mini laptop design as you might end up paying more for the learning experience than you would getting a mini laptop itself. I even saw people make the thing voice activated to show different information on a connected LCD :)
cyberdrain
Addict
Addict

Post by pretentious on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:25 am
([msg=82997]see Re: Raspberry Pi[/msg])

speaking of hooking things up to it. If any one wants to flirt with the line where software and hardware meet, there are python bindings to use the gpio pins. All that stuff looks fairly well documented too though I didn't really look too hard
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:10 am
([msg=82998]see Re: Raspberry Pi[/msg])

I'm really not sure why I haven't ordered a Pi yet, I've seen some pretty nifty stuff done with these.
One of the coolest things was the Pi on the drone. Fly it around hacking wifi systems, which to no surprise other drones use! That means your drone can fly around taking over other drones! Remember Samy (is your hero) from MySpace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHKV01YQX_w
(I'm sure me and Rained talked about this on IRC a bit)

Fuqing sweet, not to mention you could fly this thing on top of someones house, unsuspected while doing whatever shindigs you wanted! I think there was also the Pi in the cat collar, where the guy let his cat out to run the neighbor hood gathering wifi creds for him haha
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:27 am
([msg=83005]see Re: Raspberry Pi[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:I'm really not sure why I haven't ordered a Pi yet, I've seen some pretty nifty stuff done with these.

You live without it? How... how do you do that? Then again, you got a full fledged dedi already. I think for most hardware projects Arduino kits are more useful, but there are some exceptions.

-Ninjex- wrote:One of the coolest things was the Pi on the drone. Fly it around hacking wifi systems, which to no surprise other drones use! That means your drone can fly around taking over other drones! Remember Samy (is your hero) from MySpace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHKV01YQX_w
(I'm sure me and Rained talked about this on IRC a bit)

Fuqing sweet, not to mention you could fly this thing on top of someones house, unsuspected while doing whatever shindigs you wanted! I think there was also the Pi in the cat collar, where the guy let his cat out to run the neighbor hood gathering wifi creds for him haha

This ^^^ just this :D
cyberdrain
Addict
Addict

Post by pretentious on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:31 pm
([msg=83046]see Re: Raspberry Pi[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:I think there was also the Pi in the cat collar, where the guy let his cat out to run the neighbor hood gathering wifi creds for him haha

wardriving with a cat is something I have to see haha

pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Hardware