Give new breath to really old pc

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Give new breath to really old pc

Post by JProgress on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:22 am
([msg=80329]see Give new breath to really old pc[/msg])

I found a really old computer in my uncle's house and I was thinking of install on it a linux-based os.The pc has never be used before and it has not an os yet.It has only serial ports and it has not a dvd/cd drive.In addition I can not find an ethernet port( does this mean,it can not connect the internet?) and the processor has not an air cooling system.any suggestions for what to do???
Progress, not perfection...
JProgress
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Give new breath to really old pc

Post by pretentious on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:56 am
([msg=80330]see Re: Give new breath to really old pc[/msg])

JProgress wrote:It has only serial ports and it has not a dvd/cd drive.In addition I can not find an ethernet port... and the processor has not an air cooling system.any suggestions for what to do???

Sell it to a museum and use the money to buy a newer computer :P
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JProgress on Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:57 am
([msg=80331]see Re: Give new breath to really old pc[/msg])

I want to gain experience by fixing this encient pc..! :-) So I don't fell like selling it.
JProgress
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:10 pm
([msg=80336]see Re: Give new breath to really old pc[/msg])

JProgress wrote:It has only serial ports and it has not a dvd/cd drive.In addition I can not find an ethernet port( does this mean,it can not connect the internet?).

So here's what I would do to get it working and connected to the Internet (if that is your goal). First find a way to get an OS on it, this can be by floppy, by CD (add the drive) or by USB if possible. I recommend Damn Small Linux for the first of those options. Next, try to add an ethernet port by adding a card. If that's not possible, a serial port is also a data connection and could be used, given the right tools or hardware. Lastly, if USB is available, wireless USB is also a possibility. And first and foremost: check that the computer doesn't get too hot because the fan is missing (if it's not passively cooled) and if it is, add one.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Addict
Addict

Post by JProgress on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:54 am
([msg=80343]see Re: Give new breath to really old pc[/msg])

Thanks for the ideas Cyberdrain.!.Unfortunately its impossible to connect usb but I think I can load the os on the hard drive by connecting it to an another pc...
JProgress
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:09 pm
([msg=80345]see Re: Give new breath to really old pc[/msg])

Hmm, you would need a computer capable of connecting to the HDD. Then again, that's also true of the floppy drive, which is rapidly becoming extinct. I would be interested to know how the project went, as I did something similar on a machine running a Pentium P5 equivalent which worked great for browsing and basic text editing. Although iirc that machine did have an Ethernet port on it, despite its age. Either way, good luck!
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Addict
Addict

Return to Hardware