Raspberry pi

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Raspberry pi

Post by weekend hacker on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:29 pm
([msg=77202]see Raspberry pi[/msg])

Hi there forum members!

Who here has a raspberry pi and what are you using it for?
A pretty general question maybe people are using it in cool ways no one has thought of before.

I'm using my pi as a general media center running Xbian clocked at 900MHz(the highest I could go without overvolting).
Attached to it I have a wifi dongle, a usb hub, a tiny wireless keyboard/mouse dongle and a dual HDD dock holding 2 3TB drives.
1 drive has an encrypted EXT4 partition where all media and documents resides, the other drive has an encrypted NTFS partition which holds backups of the other drive. I have a cron job that uses fsync to keep the backup up to date once a day.
My raspberry seems capable enough of running a movie in HD without any issue from the encrypted drive, while at the same time downloading new stuff to that drive. Read and write speed is pretty slow but it's enough to get the job done.
I've had some issues getting the HDD dock to work, for some reason it refused to create a device for the second drive. I tried all sorts of things but in the end I just tell the driver to create the device manually (/proc/scsi/scsi), I need to fill in a password to be able to mount it anyway so there is no extra effort involved.

I still have some configurations to do so here's my todo list in no particular order:
- Find out why downloads appear to be slower than expected(could have just been the obscure content I'm getting)
- Use git to store my code on the pi
- Create the relevant scripts/configs to use the pi as a backup for my laptop and other machines
- Make sure backup system, files and what not are available from a remote location
- Provide limited access to media for friends and family
- Put black tape over those annoying lights
- Fix my tv (its broken...)

Any tips, questions or are you using your raspberry for something else? Let me know!

This thread may also have the sinister motive of forcing me to keep better track of the forums, I'm sorry I've been ignoring you guys so much.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Raspberry pi

Post by Goatboy on Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:13 pm
([msg=77205]see Re: Raspberry pi[/msg])

Edit: 2500th post. Daaaayum.

From kindle:

I am planning on getting one for some home automation. I don't care how much it costs, I am making my own JARVIS. I live in an apartment so my options are limited, but I am building a wooden skeletal frame inside my living and dining rooms so I can mount shit and run cables. I currently have a "welcome" routine that turns on the AC, sets the TV to Discovery channel, and a servo opens the door deadbolt. All from a single Arduino and an xbee pair.

If you need any help let me know
Last edited by Goatboy on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Tentra on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:45 pm
([msg=77210]see Re: Raspberry pi[/msg])

Goatboy,

I have had similar fantasies. I have always wanted to have an RFID tag, say in a watch or ring, with the reader near my door knob running to a RaspberryPi or Arduino hooked up to a servo controlling the deadbolt; my door would only unlock when I grab the door knob and immediately locks again when the door closes.

I like your idea about having it power on the TV though, that'd be pretty cool.
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Post by Shade_of_Gray on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:06 pm
([msg=77211]see Re: Raspberry pi[/msg])

Tentra wrote:I have had similar fantasies. I have always wanted to have an RFID tag, say in a watch or ring, with the reader near my door knob running to a RaspberryPi or Arduino hooked up to a servo controlling the deadbolt; my door would only unlock when I grab the door knob and immediately locks again when the door closes.

That works great until someone else finds out about it, and clones your key by shaking your hand.

Just sayin'. =)
Shade_of_Gray
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Goatboy on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:25 pm
([msg=77212]see Re: Raspberry pi[/msg])

Shade_of_Gray wrote:That works great until someone else finds out about it, and clones your key by shaking your hand.

Brings a whole new meaning to authentication handshakes.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Gill_Sans on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:35 pm
([msg=77213]see Re: Raspberry pi[/msg])

I own a pi. I've had it since last Christmas, but haven't really done too much with it. Last semester I took it to campus a lot and would connect it to the projector in one of the labs for the campus' unrecognized linux club meetings.

My desktop isn't booting up, so I'm right now setting up the pi to use that monitor, keyboard, etc. There is an issue with that, though, that correlates with an issue I had before. A few months ago, I set up the Pi as a samba server and torrent box. It functioned properly.. for a while. I had the wifi dongle and usb storage connected, and after a time of seeding, the pi would halt. I assume it was the usb power draw, so I bought a powered hub... which doesn't work. Currently I am updating the system; perhaps that issue has been resolved since last December.

I hope to use it for SSH, irc, samba, and other servers. Ideally, I would like it to work as a NAS, but with communication also. All of it would be internal to my network only. I would like to have it also run an IRC bot that I could have do things while I am at school from my laptop. I need to learn how to code that though.
Gill_Sans
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:56 am
([msg=77217]see Re: Raspberry pi[/msg])

Mine has been sitting on my desk gathering dust for the last few months. I originally bought it to run a web server but when something happends and it looses power, it can be a pain in the ass to reestablish it. I still have some plans yet though, there are general i/o contacts that i want to solder shit up to and experiement much the same way Goatboy mentioned. While I'm on the subject, is there any way to do port forwarding and get external network access, without configuring the router at all? Some pretty overkill ideas come to mind, but nothing practical
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by n0ms3c on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:06 pm
([msg=77454]see Re: Raspberry pi[/msg])

Gill_Sans wrote:I own a pi. I've had it since last Christmas, but haven't really done too much with it. Last semester I took it to campus a lot and would connect it to the projector in one of the labs for the campus' unrecognized linux club meetings.

My desktop isn't booting up, so I'm right now setting up the pi to use that monitor, keyboard, etc. There is an issue with that, though, that correlates with an issue I had before. A few months ago, I set up the Pi as a samba server and torrent box. It functioned properly.. for a while. I had the wifi dongle and usb storage connected, and after a time of seeding, the pi would halt. I assume it was the usb power draw, so I bought a powered hub... which doesn't work. Currently I am updating the system; perhaps that issue has been resolved since last December.

I hope to use it for SSH, irc, samba, and other servers. Ideally, I would like it to work as a NAS, but with communication also. All of it would be internal to my network only. I would like to have it also run an IRC bot that I could have do things while I am at school from my laptop. I need to learn how to code that though.

Interesting to know that RE: samba + DL box, I was planning on running a local FTP w/ filesharing to replace an old Dell netbook that's doing the job now. Would like to try some of the home automation stuff too though
n0ms3c
New User
New User

Post by Gill_Sans on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:31 pm
([msg=77521]see Re: Raspberry pi[/msg])

n0ms3c wrote:<br><br>Interesting to know that RE: samba + DL box, I was planning on running a local FTP w/ filesharing to replace an old Dell netbook that's doing the job now. Would like to try some of the home automation stuff too though

I should mention that doing a full system update allowed the powered USB hub to work. Seems to be the case for a lot of the hardware out there. You'll need one if you intend to have a lot of r/w operations with external media.
Gill_Sans
New User
New User

Post by tehbmar on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:54 pm
([msg=77523]see Re: Raspberry pi[/msg])

I got a Raspberry pi from a friend before I went on a big road trip and moved. Wasn't able to do much so I just turned it into a basic computer. But I ran into a few issues.. It didn't support using arrow keys as the mouse (didn't have a mouse) so I wrote a python script to do that and had that load up on start and what not. Audio drivers didn't work so I fixed that.. And couldn't use ethernet (too far and too lazy) so I bridged my wireless card on my laptop to my ethernet port on my laptop and managed to make it work.. It was a good day.. but currently my Raspberry Pi is in a box in a drawer.
tehbmar
New User
New User

Next

Return to Hardware