Workstation build...

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Workstation build...

Post by Axiom34 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:49 am
([msg=75891]see Workstation build...[/msg])

hey everyone,

so pretty soon I'll be building myself a new workstation... I wanted to get some input on if what I have in mind is a bad idea or if there's something better I could do instead... stuff like that.

here's what I'm running right now:

processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
Ram: 4GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Motherboard: I forgot
Drive: 500GB

I've had this computer for a few years and it hasn't let me down yet... the only reason I'm upgrading really is cause I'm tired of Vista and I'll be leaving this computer here in the Philippines for my family to use.

Here's what I'm thinking for my next build:
Drive: I'm thinking about a multi drive system, also maybe a small SSD for a boost when I need it...
OS: ok so like I said I'm tired of vista... actually Vista has treated me pretty well despite what people say about it... but the main reasons I'm tired of it is a)cause many programs aren't compatible with it and b)windows is closed source which sucks for people who like to customize stuff... so for that reason I plan on running two Operating Systems... been looking into Ubuntu and for the second OS... win 7 (and the only reason I'd go windows again is cause it's compatible with most programs, and I don't really have any experience with Unix based OS...) the idea is so that I'll have something I know...
Processor: I'm planning on going with AMD something in the FX series... I was looking at the AMD FX-4350 Vishera 4.2GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor... I don't know really if I need anything bigger...
RAM: probably a couple of sticks of 8GB
Graphics: I haven't looked into yet
Motherboard: I don't know yet either...

I know computers are built around how the user is gunna use it... so I guess it's worth mentioning what I do.
I do CAD and the programs I use can be pretty demanding, especially when working with big assemblies
I also game from time to time (that's where the nice graphics card comes in)
and I've been getting into programming
those are the bigger things I do... everything else is just day to day office stuff.

so yeah that's pretty much it... I've been around computers ever since I was a kid, I'm 19 now and I've just started to really get into the guts of computers. so I know I got a lot to learn, and that's why I'm asking for your guys input on this stuff...

thanks
Axiom34
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Workstation build...

Post by DrRoach on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:56 pm
([msg=75892]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

If I were you I'd go with just 8GB of RAM I don't think you'd need more than that and I'd also look into a mac os. I know it isn't the most popular but if you ever want to get into iPhone apps or the sort you'll need a apple OS. Also I wouldn't bother with the SSD unless your going to be loading big files off it, such as operating systems or massive image and its not got unlimited writes so you can wear them out quickly if your deleting and re saving things onto it.
Just my advice :D
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:35 pm
([msg=75895]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

Mac OS is only useful for apple product development and even then it's not worth having the entire os be mac. Just run a vm of it.

An SSD is the best thing you could possibly spend your money on and 250gb is plenty in terms of size.

8gb ram is good but running intense CAD you might want 16.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Axiom34 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:58 pm
([msg=75897]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

yeah I'm not a big apple fan so a Mac would probably not suit me well... thanks though...
Axiom34
New User
New User

Post by brutal_hacker on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:16 am
([msg=75901]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

Im currently wanting to do the same.

I'm running a vista machine like yourself and don't find anything with compatibility problems. But I can understand where your coming from. My laptop runs 7 for testing reasons.

I would suggest you upgrade to windows 8. Scary I know a lot different I despise touch technology so outdated. The reason why you should upgrade is because its best to stay up to date. This is if your wanting new games new software etc. Everything has problems tho.

While doing this id run kali or ubuntu on your 2nd HDD.

Kali - Pentesting
Ubuntu - A more simple user friendly linux os

You must love customizing and with linux you can do whatever you like.

I do actually remember using a program a very long time ago on my old windows machine. If i recall it must have been xp sp2 I came across a program called something box maybe blackbox not sure I cannot recall the name of it but basically you could modify everything... lets say I did. Everything was changed it was awesome. I really cannot recall what I did with that piece of software.

I'm sure there are variations of it for windows 8 or 7. You could always manually change it all but it gets complicated. Like boot screen etc.

And as for mac unless your loaded its not worth your time in my opinion.
brutal_hacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:12 pm
([msg=75904]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

I don't get why people suggest installing Kali or Backtrack as the main OS. It doesn't make any sense. It doesn't work as well, and you can get the same tools for any other distro if you want them. Chances are you won't be running pentests from your desktop anyways.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by brutal_hacker on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:47 pm
([msg=75911]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

I didnt say as his main OS windows 8 will be his main. Backtrack / kali work just as fine as ubuntu hes on a internet security website seems sense for him to get used to it.
brutal_hacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:52 pm
([msg=75912]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

Well, I meant as an installed OS. And Kali/Backtrack definitely works no where as well as Ubuntu 12.04+. Windows 8 is awesome, but next to Ubuntu I never use it anymore.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by brutal_hacker on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:57 pm
([msg=75914]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

That is only down to the support ubuntu receives. Anyways its his choice all he can do is try it out doesn't take much time for a format
brutal_hacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:06 pm
([msg=75916]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

Kali is based off of Ubuntu so it receives the same support. It's just Kali and Backtrack are quite a few releases behind Ubuntu. Ubuntu is made to be a main OS. Kali was made to be used occasionally when doing pentests, not to be used as a main OS.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Next

Return to Hardware