Workstation build...

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Re: Workstation build...

Post by Axiom34 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:00 pm
([msg=75927]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

alright I'll look into 8... to me doesn't really make sense unless I'll be using a touchscreen... I've looked at large touch screens before and they're spendy... right now I have a dual monitor set up (asus HD 27" and something else) gunna upgrade to a second asus when I get back... I had an idea though for a future project for myself to address the touch screen problem... I want to write a program that could use my webcam for eye tracking... basically so that my mouse goes where I look... I think it would be cool...

anyways I also did more research into Ubuntu and I like it enough to try it out... however another Linux distro caught my eye and it's Arch Linux... what do you guys think about that?

and thanks also for your input

EDIT*
I did some more looking around at hardware... I think I've decided to go with the AMD FX-6350... so now I'm wondering whats a good motherboard to go with it? or at least what should I be looking for in a motherboard for this processor to perform to potential?
Axiom34
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:38 pm
([msg=75936]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

Arch linux is awesome but it takes a while to install and set up. I wouldn't suggest it if you've never used linux before. However, it will teach you A LOT if you go that route.

Windows 8 is awesome with dual monitors btw, and I personally think it's fine without touch screen.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by brutal_hacker on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:45 pm
([msg=75941]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

Yes windows 8 does look like a touchscreen OS but its designed with the future in mind. Dont let it fool you still works fine as a desktop.
brutal_hacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Axiom34 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:05 pm
([msg=75994]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

Alright I'm starting to warm up to Windows 8... and yeah I keep getting told that new users to Linux shouldn't start with arch but I like the challenge. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from it, I know it's gunna be a steep learning curve but that's part of why I like it.

but the operating system wont matter if I don't have a computer to put it on...

so I kinda need to figure out the rest of the hardware...
the processor like I said I think I'm gunna go with the AMD FX-6350. so next on the list is a Motherboard... Does anybody have any suggestions or know of some stuff I should keep in mind when looking at them? or any other general advice on the rest of the computer?

EDIT*
was lookin at the SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 whats the thought on that?
Axiom34
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:33 pm
([msg=76006]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

I'm going to say that most people here probably aren't super hardware geeks. If you go to Frys or something like that you should be able to get some better help.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Axiom34 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:40 pm
([msg=76009]see Re: Workstation build...[/msg])

alright thanks fashizzlepop for all your input... when I get back state side I'll be sure to go check out fry's... I miss that store.
Axiom34
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Hardware