Is my YouTube account secure?

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

Is my YouTube account secure?

Post by ChuckNorris449 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:07 pm
([msg=68517]see Is my YouTube account secure?[/msg])

I want to make sure my YouTube account is pretty secure. Is there some way to test password strength against brute force attacks( or any other method I'm not aware of)? My YouTube account is ChuckNorris449 and I'm sorry if this isn't the place for this question.

I'm looking forward to learning and thank you.
ChuckNorris449
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is my YouTube account secure?

Post by centip3de on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:51 pm
([msg=68520]see Re: Is my YouTube account secure?[/msg])

ChuckNorris449 wrote:I want to make sure my YouTube account is pretty secure. Is there some way to test password strength against brute force attacks( or any other method I'm not aware of)? My YouTube account is ChuckNorris449 and I'm sorry if this isn't the place for this question.

A brute force attack basically tries every possible combination there can be for your password, so, as long as your password is longer than 8 characters, and involves symbols/numbers/capital and lowercase letters, you should be fine.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:45 pm
([msg=68523]see Re: Is my YouTube account secure?[/msg])

It's probably also worth noting that if your password isn't anything close to your user name it shouldn't be able to be guessed. Say it is over 8 characters. Since your username is chucknorris, if your password is texasRanger for example, it poses a weakness. That's just an example, some other things to note would be things like your birthday, son/daughter/dogs name etc... So people who know you or check your facebook or things of the like wouldn't be able to easily guess.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by ChuckNorris449 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:15 pm
([msg=68554]see Re: Is my YouTube account secure?[/msg])

Thanks! Are there any sneaky ways to get into a gmail account? If there is not, then I should be more than safe.
ChuckNorris449
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:02 pm
([msg=68557]see Re: Is my YouTube account secure?[/msg])

You may find this article useful: https://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/1100
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by limdis on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:41 pm
([msg=68592]see Re: Is my YouTube account secure?[/msg])

ChuckNorris449 wrote:I want to make sure my YouTube account is pretty secure. Is there some way to test password strength against brute force attacks( or any other method I'm not aware of)? My YouTube account is ChuckNorris449 and I'm sorry if this isn't the place for this question.

I'm going to assume you are giving us permission to test this? Aside from the password strength, LoGiCaL__ hinted around at the doxing angle which is something you should always seriously consider. If you aren't familiar with this we can take a look and highlight some potential weak spots for you. But we are going to need some proof this is in fact your account first.

*thinks to self: I really need to finish that doxing challenge already...*
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to Web