My own root DNS server

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

Re: My own root DNS server

Post by weekend hacker on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:30 pm
([msg=71013]see Re: My own root DNS server[/msg])

not_essence2 wrote:That's true. So it costs a lot to just be registered on a DNS' index of search results, huh?

its not quite an index of search results, but basically.. yes.
Keep in mind that it took icann over 6 years of discussions to allow this sort of thing, its all fairly new.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by not_essence2 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:08 pm
([msg=71019]see Re: My own root DNS server[/msg])

Well, not a search engine in the usual sense, but it's similar as in they call them "DNS lookup servers".
...What was the issue with allowing people to make new TLDs with a bunch of money again?
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by weekend hacker on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:16 pm
([msg=71024]see Re: My own root DNS server[/msg])

The issue is they've never done it before and are scared of domain squatters. They don't want everyone to just create whatever tld they come up with so they keep costs high and will do research before accepting things, limiting it to companies who have copyright or some other reason to be the only ones who can own a name. And they don't want similar names out of fear that people will mistype something and get to the competition. For instance, if someone ware to register .apples then apple can't have .apple because its too similar.
They justify the huge cost to limit who can do it and in preparation of inevitable lawsuits from those that disagree with their decisions.
You can find all that info and more on https://newgtlds.icann.org/
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by not_essence2 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:40 pm
([msg=71035]see Re: My own root DNS server[/msg])

Ah. Sensible. If I was in charge of the DNS servers and who got to do what with TLDs, the Internet would be screwed.
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Previous

Return to Web