I need to Hack my Own website...

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

I need to Hack my Own website...

Post by rhinorulz on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:02 am
([msg=59924]see I need to Hack my Own website...[/msg])

--**Note To Mods, if this is in the wrong place, than please move to correct location and remove this line**--
Root user acces is not provided by my host, but root file access is. I need root user access to run something on my server.
How can I gain root user access?
I use Freewebs aka webs.com as a host.
As far as I know only Webs personal and local users can access root user.
rhinorulz
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I need to Hack my Own website...

Post by mShred on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:04 am
([msg=59925]see Re: I need to Hack my Own website...[/msg])

If only site personnel can access superuser privileges, then I'm sorry but it would be illegal to gain unauthorized access. In which case we can not help you with. What exactly do you need more access than root file access? That seems like enough for running a website off another host to me.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by rhinorulz on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:58 am
([msg=59927]see Re: I need to Hack my Own website...[/msg])

I was wanting to host a game server.
Technally I rent the server space from them, so technally isn't it mine as long as I pay?
Maybe it would help if I told you that I personally own the domain. I own it for life. the only thing webs is doing is hosting the domain.
Just throwing this info out.
Server: Apache/1.3.39 (Unix) mod_jk/1.2.26 mod_layout/3.2 mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a mod_throttle/3.1.2
it is a Virtual server
rhinorulz
New User
New User

Post by Assassian360 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:32 am
([msg=59928]see Re: I need to Hack my Own website...[/msg])

Running a game server is quite different from running a web server. Unless Freewebs are now hosting some sort of super special service that allows you free reign on a server you are limited to running websites under their services. Being given a "web space" does not mean you can do anything within it that is to do with the web. You are entitled to store files that may be viewed/executed or retrieved as may be found in any typical website.
Assassian360
Poster
Poster

Post by rhinorulz on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:11 pm
([msg=59932]see Re: I need to Hack my Own website...[/msg])

ARG.jpg

Is there an inexpensive Host that you could recomend that would let me do both? I sort of like only paying $7 a year.
rhinorulz
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:43 pm
([msg=59933]see Re: I need to Hack my Own website...[/msg])

You could host it from your house. That way you can do whatever you want to your own computer.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by rhinorulz on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:01 pm
([msg=59936]see Re: I need to Hack my Own website...[/msg])

ATM, I don't have enough ram or a good enough computer to run it here. I've thought about doing that b4, need to get some money so I can upgrade stuff. the computer my game server is currently running on is running compleatly off of VRam. I am trying to build a machine now, but having problams scraping parts from other computers for it. Stupid OEM screws being too tight.

If I can get it built, I plan on fishtanking it.
rhinorulz
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:18 pm
([msg=59937]see Re: I need to Hack my Own website...[/msg])

Well how much traffic are you actually getting right now? If you're still in the creating process, you can host it from home while you develop the site. All the while, you're building your better computer or saving up for another.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by rhinorulz on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:49 pm
([msg=59940]see Re: I need to Hack my Own website...[/msg])

Bandwidth for one user would be heavy. when I first got my domain I was hosting it through MS small buisness and bandwith was too much for their server to handle. Pluss the game server is bandwith heavy...
the record for my site was 20 visitors in one day, the average is 2.4 .
rhinorulz
New User
New User

Post by Assassian360 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:50 pm
([msg=59959]see Re: I need to Hack my Own website...[/msg])

rhinorulz wrote:Bandwidth for one user would be heavy. when I first got my domain I was hosting it through MS small buisness and bandwith was too much for their server to handle. Pluss the game server is bandwith heavy...
the record for my site was 20 visitors in one day, the average is 2.4 .

Struggling to handle only 20 visitors or less to a site suggests the host you were using wasn't very good.

What game are you exactly wanting to run on a server?
How many people are you expecting to be playing this game?
Is this a game server that you want to have up 24/7 or just when particular friends can play?
Any other details you think might be important?

Normally running a game server is a more dedicated task, so it is handled by companies that largely handle game server hosting or related activites. You could try searching around on the web; however, I suspect that you're unlikely to find for $7 or less a year. Unless you host it yourself from somewhere off a machine of your own. For example, my friends and I run a variety of game servers for Halo, Minecraft, Call of Duty, and a few other games that run pretty much 24/7 from a variety of locations that we as a group of ~20 people go on for our own private use. Some we run out of people's homes and some we leave running at offices of businesses that are owned by some of our group.
Assassian360
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Web