How to send emails from your desktop

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

How to send emails from your desktop

Post by ampakine on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:25 pm
([msg=58106]see How to send emails from your desktop[/msg])

I'm on ubuntu and after googling it I came across references to postfix so I looked up some tutorials on it but they all seem to be fairly complicated and require far more knowledge than I have. I don't mind learning lots of new stuff (on the contrary I like it) beforehand but all I want to do is figure out how to setup a desktop SMTP server so I can send emails independantly of internet services like gmail etc. I know how to send emails from my web server with PHP but I want to learn how to send them directly off my desktop. Is postfix the tool to use for this? If so do I have to follow this tutorial:
http://www.postfix-tutorial.com/
just to send emails or is that overkill?
ampakine
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How to send emails from your desktop

Post by Goatboy on Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:04 pm
([msg=58109]see Re: How to send emails from your desktop[/msg])

postfix is the backend that handles your mail. You can use the command-line to interact with it, or you can use a GUI-based program like Thunderbird (I believe).
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by goluhaque on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:27 pm
([msg=58113]see Re: How to send emails from your desktop[/msg])

ampakine wrote:I'm on ubuntu and after googling it I came across references to postfix so I looked up some tutorials on it but they all seem to be fairly complicated and require far more knowledge than I have. I don't mind learning lots of new stuff (on the contrary I like it) beforehand but all I want to do is figure out how to setup a desktop SMTP server so I can send emails independantly of internet services like gmail etc. I know how to send emails from my web server with PHP but I want to learn how to send them directly off my desktop. Is postfix the tool to use for this? If so do I have to follow this tutorial:
http://www.postfix-tutorial.com/
just to send emails or is that overkill?

I believe XAMPP creates a virtual server and blah blah blah. More importantly , XAMPP for windows does come with Mercury Mail or something like that which creates a SMTP server and which can be used to send emails.
(23:45:03) hauk: I guess you are over the best part of your life when 4-year-olds say "Are you an evil man?"
(23:46:19) hauk: and "Ima punch you in the pecker"
goluhaque
Poster
Poster

Post by ampakine on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:57 am
([msg=58119]see Re: How to send emails from your desktop[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:postfix is the backend that handles your mail. You can use the command-line to interact with it, or you can use a GUI-based program like Thunderbird (I believe).

Ah right, I suppose I can use PHP to interact with it too.
ampakine
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Web