Finding fingerprints of hacker

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

Finding fingerprints of hacker

Post by fishtits on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:55 pm
([msg=50628]see Finding fingerprints of hacker[/msg])

Since I was in college I haven't had much time so I haven't edited my site or logged into the server for a year. I went on my site today and noticed directory browsing is now enabled for some reason. I checked the .htaccess file and noticed Options -Indexes was commented out. I never touched this .htaccess file since I had the server, I can't remember if it was there when I got the server or not. Directory browsing can't just turn itself on can it? Is this evidence that someones edited that .htaccess file?

I don't know a whole lot about web servers, what signs should I look out for that someone has access to it? I checked the FTP access logs and theres nothing unusual in them but any hacker would edit that. I noticed the access-logs folder has 777 file permissions. Is that unusual? I only noticed it because theres a little symbol filezilla puts on it to show its 777. I've never seen that symbol before so unless thats a new feature of filezilla, the file permissions of that folder and www folder were changed at some point but not by me. Can anyone recommend some things to look for to try and determine whether the server has been hacked or not?
fishtits
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Web