last dumb question

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

Re: last dumb question

Post by insomaniacal on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:31 pm
([msg=50181]see Re: last dumb question[/msg])

Yes, most websites are manipulated by directly uploading files to the server, rather than using some sort of online editor.

Technically, if you could upload a shell (Im assuming you mean one of those php-shells, like c99), you could edit things on the site.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:45 pm
([msg=50186]see Re: last dumb question[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:Yes, most websites are manipulated by directly uploading files to the server, rather than using some sort of online editor.

Technically, if you could upload a shell (Im assuming you mean one of those php-shells, like c99), you could edit things on the site.

Only a few sites really utilize a CMS. Building your own web site will help you understand. Just reading won't teach you everything.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by centip3de on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:28 pm
([msg=50195]see Re: last dumb question[/msg])

Monica wrote:fatso, I understand you may be upset because you're not getting the replies you want. It's OK to ask questions, but make sure to do some research on your own. Otherwise, if you continue to ask questions, it will make many people on the interwebs very upset. When you do research of your own, you will not only learn, but you will also gain confidence. You no longer will be upset.

Monica's word of the month = upset?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Bren2010 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:23 pm
([msg=50262]see Re: last dumb question[/msg])

fatso6996 wrote:how can i find a log in place on a commercial web site. they have to be somewhere otherwise no one can edit it.

(all things i learn here will not be used for black hat things, just for knowledge)

Your assumption is incorrect. Just because there's no admin account doesn't mean there's no way to edit/manage the website. E.g., go to http://www.target.com/. They still have their homepage content that updates every X amount of time, even if they are lacking a little "Admin Login" button at the top of each page.

They could use, like previously mentioned, FTP/SFTP, SSH, etc, or, if the people who wrote Target.com wanted to be creative, they could have some interface running on their LAN at Target HQ.

Btw...
centip3de wrote:
Monica wrote:fatso, I understand you may be upset because you're not getting the replies you want. It's OK to ask questions, but make sure to do some research on your own. Otherwise, if you continue to ask questions, it will make many people on the interwebs very upset. When you do research of your own, you will not only learn, but you will also gain confidence. You no longer will be upset.

Monica's word of the month = upset?

From a recent IRC chat:
IRC wrote:<bren2010> AH
<bren2010> OMFG
<bren2010> ALL THE SUDDEN RED
<bren2010> WTF Fluffy?!?
<Fluffy> Hello, bren2010.
<Fluffy> You seem very upset.
<bren2010> nah
* bren2010 is better now.
<Fluffy> I'm glad you are no longer upset.
<Fluffy> I also hope your day is going well.

So it would seem so...

EDIT:
Monica wrote:I was upset when I realized I've been inactive. Now I'm upset that you revealed my intention of being on the forum today.

... PM me the time and place you're going to stage the intervention...
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by Monica on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:43 pm
([msg=50293]see Re: last dumb question[/msg])

Revealing more secrets about me makes me upset.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Web