Websense

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

Websense

Post by Alex the Jester on Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:51 pm
([msg=40836]see Websense[/msg])

My school wants me to security test their internet filtering program, Websense. If i find one, I get $100. All of their computers are running Windows XP Professional. Each student is given a login id and password; they're all unique. I plugged their internet in to my laptop and it still blocks me from sites; this could be because they are blocking at server level? I have access to the server and the computers, any way I could "hack" the Websense?
Alex the Jester
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Websense

Post by Goatboy on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:10 pm
([msg=40838]see Re: Websense[/msg])

If they're paying you to do this, one of two things happened:

1.) You told them you're that good
2.) You really are that good

In the first case, you're clearly trying to sound cool or win this bet. In the second case, you should know what to do.

To humor you though, consider this:

Look at the differences between the school computers and your laptop. Take note of these differences, and think about where and how they are important. If you don't have to supply a username and password from your laptop, do you think it's blocking based on authentication? If you have access to their server, why not just look for any loopholes in the security policy?
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Alex the Jester on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:05 pm
([msg=40840]see Re: Websense[/msg])

Yes they do block by authentication. The administrators/teachers have access to restricted content as opposed to students. I know the authentication is tied in to logging in to windows XP. When i was logging in with my laptop, I used an account that had nothing to do with the school, and it still blocked me, which could mean they're blocking any unknown IP/MAC addresses? When I said i had access to the server, I meant the physical server.
Alex the Jester
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:14 pm
([msg=40844]see Re: Websense[/msg])

Unplug the Ethernet to the physical server and plug it into your lappy. Boom. 100$
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by thetan on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:58 pm
([msg=40863]see Re: Websense[/msg])

practically all modern implementations of LANs are insecure.

Meaning that most networks by default are subject and not limited to the following network attack vectors:
  • ARP Cache Poisoning - Resulting in a full-duplex MiTM attack
  • DHCP Spoofing - Resuting in a full-duplex MiTM attack
  • Port Stealing - Resulting in a OSI Layer 2 (switches only) full-duplex MiTM attack
  • MAC Flooding - Resulting in the reversion of a switch device to act as a hub instead, to the the overloading of the CAM tables
  • ARP Isolation - resulting in a instant single packet DoS of any node on the network (sever included)
  • DHCP Exhaustion - resulting in a very rapid DoS on the entire network caused by all IP leases to be falsely occupied
  • etc etc etc

In short, the default for practically all LANs is insecure, this is because secure is a pain in the ass for even intermediate to semi-advanced net-admins (i still think these people suck at their job but whatever).

Anyways, launch a MiTM, shift through the data of tcpdump or wireshark, find some credentials and log in as a teacher collect $100 and smile.

Also, seeing how it is indeed a LAN and working on the assumption that Websense bases it's network authentication off of the only thing it can (ethernet data) and that it doesn't tunnel data through a custom OSI Layer 7 protocol, you could falsely authenticate yourself as another user on the network. This is as simple (or as hard depending on your access) to find a machine that a teacher is currently authenticated on, take note of that machines MAC address and ip, and spoof you MAC and address to match it. The end result is Websense shouldn't be able to tell the difference between your computer and the teachers computer, the routers and switches should be equally confused but the typical default is to forward in both directions. This is the same method that can be used to bypass pay for access captive portals in hotels and coffee shops.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msbachman on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:47 pm
([msg=40869]see Re: Websense[/msg])

My advice would be to find two different ways to skirt the system. Show one to admins, then trade the other one off to the ladies in exchange for handjobs and the like. After they figure out they've been had, offer to fix it again, but this time, for $1000.

FYI you're getting FLEECED at $100. Be sure to get a favorable reference or something out of the deal.

-- Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:16 pm --

On second thought with my money situation if 100 bucks was all I could get, i'd sure as hell take it.

-- Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:17 pm --

Edit: disregard everything I've said, I suck cocks
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by insomaniacal on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:18 pm
([msg=40879]see Re: Websense[/msg])

Thetan has hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. You could look for security holes in Websense, but unless you're really experienced and have a good deal of time on your hands, you probably won't find much. Do some Googling of the methods he suggested, and you should be on your way.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Alex the Jester on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:28 pm
([msg=40883]see Re: Websense[/msg])

Thank you very much Thetan! I agree with insomanical, you hit this on the nail.
Alex the Jester
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:59 pm
([msg=41024]see Re: Websense[/msg])

Where the hell did you learn all this shit, Thetan? College?
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by insomaniacal on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:12 pm
([msg=41027]see Re: Websense[/msg])

Thetan's posts sound too complex for college. I'm willing to bet it's field experience coupled with hobbyist enthusiasm.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Return to Web